Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 10th, 2002, 08:32 AM
First Mate

Default Excursions in Mexico

Hi everyone. As I posted below my husband and I are taking our first cruise in August on the Grand. We are trying to decide what excursions to do. We noticed that there aren't very many offered in Costa Maya? Any ideas on what we should do? Also, can anyone recommend an excursion in Cozumel? We are looking at the Gerviso Ruins and the Mexican Folklore show but are open to ideas. We would prefer an excursion that only lasts a half day so we have time to shop and explore on our own.

I also saw the post on liquor - how strick are they on the Grand about bringing liquor aboard? Does the liquor do okay on the plane in your suitcase?

Thanks
Mandy
Sponsored Links
Old July 10th, 2002, 02:41 PM
Sandie

Default Re: Excursions in Mexico

Hi Mandy~
We did the same trip on the Grand this past January. My suggestion on Costa Maya is to rent a taxi service (number of them waiting when you get off the ship) and have them drive to a nice beach in a nearby town. Bring along a beach towel and just relax. This is a new stop for Princess and its rather undeveloped, but my group loved swimming in the warm water and lounging on the beach with a Corona in hand.
We smuggled some wine onboard in our carry on luggage and the Princess attendant x-raying our bags did see them and smiled. They should be pretty relaxed about you bringing a few. Wouldn't recommend hauling a case though!! (-:

Enjoy your cruise!!

Sandie
Old July 11th, 2002, 10:04 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Excursions in Mexico

Mandy,

"Also, can anyone recommend an excursion in Cozumel? We are looking at the Gerviso Ruins and the Mexican Folklore show but are open to ideas. We would prefer an excursion that only lasts a half day so we have time to shop and explore on our own."

I can't say that Cozumel is the best destination for shopping (you will find much better shopping right across the street from the tender pier in George Town, Grand Cayman), but I respect your preference. The Mexican Folkloric Show is excellent and the Mayan ruins at San Gervasio are definitely worthwhile. These ruins are not as extensive as those at Tulum, but they are much more significant because the island of Cozumel is holy land in the Mayan religion.

Unless you want to go on a snorkeling or beach excursion, the alternative would be to take either the excursion to the Mayan ruins at Tulum or the excursion to the archeo-ecological park at Ex Caret. Both of these trips are worthwhile, but they require a full day which would defeat your objective of having time to shop and to explore on your own. If you do decide to take the tour to Tulum, though, be sure to bring a large (liter) bottle of water from the ship for each person in your group and to drink frequently while in the park to prevent dehydration.

Have a great cruise!

Norm.