Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 14th, 2002, 04:44 PM
Passenger

Default Which line measures up to our cruise preferences??

CELEBRITY, PRINCESS OR NORWEIGAN???

I am just curious about which cruise line attracts the least amount of families??

We no longer travel with kids so when we plan our vacations, we prefer destinations that are more adult oriented, however, my husband refuses to take a cruise!

I took my first cruise last year on Carnival, and although I had a great time, the children were very annoying, (500+). First of all I selected the wrong dates, (end of August) so I know to pick different dates the next time around, and please don't get me wrong,not all the kids were unruly and misbehaved, I found that most of those who were the kids 12 and over! The toddlers were entertained by Camp Carnival, but the older kids were unbelievable, food fights, playing on elevators, etc.

So our next cruise (family and friends, all adults, no children), are looking for a cruise atmosphere that offers ambiance, good location on the ship for relaxation, reading, napping, and of course good entertainement and acitivities, but just not so may children!
Sponsored Links
Old July 14th, 2002, 05:57 PM
Hawkeye

Default Re: Which line measures up to our cruise preferences??

Louise -

You might try checking out Celebrity Cruises' adults-only sailings. We received a mailing from them a few months back indicating they were designating several sailing dates as adults-only. I don't have that mailer any longer so I can't tell you specifics about ships or sailing dates but I'll bet a good TA could.

We're pretty much confirmed Princess cruisers but we sailed the Galaxy on a Southern Caribbean route a couple of years ago and loved it.
Old July 14th, 2002, 07:02 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

You could look at Holland America, Princess, Celebrity, Raddison, Seabourn, Silverseas.
Princess and Celebrity are likely to have more kids onboard than the others. But, choose a cruise over 7 days on any of these lines and you're not likely to find many kids at all.

Old July 15th, 2002, 01:50 AM
First Mate

Louise,
Best to take a cruise when school is in session, or a higher priced cruise. We went on Princess in Jan. and not that many kids. The ones that were there were very well behaved. Maybe you had a bunch of parents on board who practised "Out of sight, out of mind" when it comes to parenting. Hope you have better luck next time.

Richard

ps If our 13 yr old acts up, she can get to know our cabin real well!
Old July 15th, 2002, 06:19 PM
Admiral

Louise,

Perhaps the issue here is the crowd that a particular cruise line attracts rather than the mere presence of children aboard ship. I have yet to find a Princess cruise with ill-behaved or noisy children. Rather, the children and teens who travel on Princess typically show up for dinner in proper attire (not uncomon to see lads in tuxedos and lasses in gowns on formal night) and to conduct themselves as young ladies and gentlemen.

I can assure you, from personal experience, that Princess's children's, youth, and teen programs do tend to keep youngsters away from the adult areas so there's little interference with adult activities.

>> I still recall arranging a tour of the galley with our waiter on one cruise. We arrived a few minutes early for the tour. While we wait for our waiter to guide us, a parade of children emerged from the dining room under the watchful eyes of the youth counsellors. Yes, they had just visited the galley -- and i was absolutely dumbfounded by their number because I had not seen very many children in the preceeding week that we were together aboard ship!

>> I was aboard MV Royal Princess -- which does not have a children's center or teen center -- with over two hundred children and teens a year ago, but there were plenty of youth and teen staff aboard so the children were rarely seen -- that is, except my bridge partner, who was thirteen and just learning the game. Sadly for the other players, we actually came out on top (as East-West) in the competition! (This was a thirteen-day cruise to Europe, BTW, so there's no guaranttee that the strategy of booking a long cruise will work.)

Princess also restricts the number of bookings for minors to a number that each ship can accommodate reasonably to ensure that adult areas and activities are not overrun.

If you really want to avoid children on Princess, I have two specific recommendations. The first is to schedule your cruise when most schools have vacation (there's no longer a time when all schools have vacation, as some school districts now have staggered year-round sessions to accommodate 50% more students than the capacity of their schools on a normal schedule). The second is to request "Traditional Dining" with second seating since most families with children will request either "Traditional Dining" with first seating or, on ships that offer it, the "Anytime Dining" option.

Have a great cruise, whichever you choose!

Norm.
Old July 15th, 2002, 07:35 PM
quetico

Celebrity has an adult only cruise leaving Fort Lauderdale on Sept 23, 11 nights to the western Carib. Seven stops. I booked it strictly because of the adult only option.
Celebrity is also expanding it's adult only perks, such as having wine included at some meals.
I wish Princess would start such a program, because it's my line of choice by far.
Q
Old July 16th, 2002, 10:03 AM
First Mate

We were on the Golden Princess at Thanksgiving. It's not the best time to travel if you're trying to avoid children. We loved the adults only pool area. One evening, however, it was closed. We went to another pool and were shocked at the behavior of the kids--running and horseplaying around the pool. Their parents weren't watching them very well. I had to point out the sign with the pool rules to a couple of them. They got better for a little while, but then got rowdy again.
Old July 21st, 2002, 04:15 PM
David Starkey

Default Re: Re: Which line measures up to our cruise preferences??

Holland America is a much older crowd. Kids should not be a problem if you sail on HAL..