Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 17th, 2002, 01:16 PM
First Mate

Default Question about "holding" rooms

Hi everyone! My husband and I are going on the Grand Western cruise 08/11/02. To make a VERY long story short our TA did not book us in the level of room we requested. Being first time cruisers, we didn't really start to think about it until recently. I inquired about upgrading to the room we originally wanted and it was going to cost additional money (which we expected). I went to do the upgrade yesterday only to find out that ALL of the mini-suites are booked and that we have been waitlisted. Well, not "trusting" my TA anymore I decided to call Princess myself and ask about things. Turns out the ENTIRE ship is booked and we are the first ones on the waiting list for a mini. Now to my question: does Princess hold some rooms out like airlines sometimes hold seats out for last minute fliers who fly regularly with that company? I REALLY wanted that mini suite and am mad that he didn't book us in it in the first place. He booked us in the lowest balcony room category and all but promised that we would be upgraded and not to worry about it. Needless to say we have not been upgraded nor does it look like we will be. Anyone have any info on this?

Thanks
Mandy
Sponsored Links
Old July 17th, 2002, 07:11 PM
luckyy951

Default Re: Question about "holding" rooms

Cruise lines allow travel agencies to block cabins for groups. Just like with the airlines, the travel agency has a certain deadline to either sell the cabins or release them. That is why you often see availability closer to the sailing date when the ship looked like it was sold out before.
Old July 17th, 2002, 09:01 PM
dsawyer

Default Re: Question about "holding" rooms

Hi Mandy, it's me Dorothy. I am so sorry about your problem but hopefully, since you are no. 1 on the list to be upgraded, you will get your minisuite. If your heart was set on a minisuite, your TA should have advised you to book one in the beginning and not to expect that you would be upgraded to one. However, there are 3 weeks left before we sail and Princess is still in the process of assigning cabins to those that did not book a specific cabin so there definitely is a possibility.

Mandy, did you know that you can check your booking on the Princess website by logging into their cruise personalizer. I check my booking daily just to see if the upgrades gods have smiled on me.
Old July 17th, 2002, 09:50 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Question about "holding" rooms

As "they" say, there is always room in the hotel. If the President or the Governor of the State or the Mayor turns up unexpectedly... a room will be found. A cruise vessel, like a hotel, is in a constant state of flux, right up to sailing date... cancellations, double booking errors and on and on. It seems very odd that your t/a would not want to book you into a more expensive cabin and earn a bigger commission. My guess, too, is that you'll be upgraded... and this generally occurs within 7 days of your sailing date.

But, as I've said ad nauseum on these boards, the only... the ONLY way to guarantee the cabin grade and location that you want is to book and pay for it from the start. I can only assume that your t/a has something "up his/her sleeve" that cannot be discussed. Let us know what happens... and good luck!
Old July 18th, 2002, 08:20 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Question about "holding" rooms

Hi Dorothy. Yes, I check it everyday and like you, it makes me smile everytime just knowing that it is there. I am not sure what my TA was thinking and I will know better next time - first of all, I won't use him again. My parents used another TA in the same agency and have had MUCH better results as in she listened to what they wanted and got it for them so we will probably use her next time.

Thanks for the info. I can't wait!!!