Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 17th, 2002, 06:18 PM
Passenger

Default Dancing?

For formal nights on the Golden, is there a place for nice dancing?
Sponsored Links
Old July 17th, 2002, 07:35 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Dancing?

Abby,

"For formal nights on the Golden, is there a place for nice dancing?"

I'm not sure what you mean by "nice dancing," but there are two dancing venues aboard each of Princess's ships.

>> The Wheelhouse Bar, or an equivalent lounge on Princess's older ships, has two combos that play live music for your dancing and listening pleasure from 5:00 PM until 1:00 AM or thereabouts for dancing. It has been my experience that one of these bands usually is outstanding and that the other might not be as talented.

>> The disco (yes, literally....) cranks up around 10:00 or 11:00 each evening and continues well into the wee hours if that's your style. It's not exactly my style.

I have not been aboard MV Golden Princess, but the wheelhouse bar appears to have the same dimensions and layout as aboard MV Grand Princess. I found the Wheelhouse Bar aboard MV Grand Princess to be much too small for the size of the vessel. Thus, it's apt to be crowded, especially if you try to go there after dinner or after the show. Princess really need to shut down Sabatini's Trattoria and use the space to enlarge the Wheelhouse Bar.

If it's not too late to modify your plans, I recommend booking aboard MV Sun Princess, MV Dawn Princess, MV Sea Princess, or MV Ocean Princess instead -- especially if you like to dance. The Wheelhouse Bar aboard each of these ships is considerably larger than aboard MV Grand Princess, so there's plenty of room. If you prefer the disco, it is in a much more convenient location (amidships on the Promenade Deck) than aboard MV Grand Princess (on a deck by itself in the "spoiler" over the stern).

Have a great cruise, whichever you decide!

Norm.
Old July 21st, 2002, 09:28 AM
Lou in MA

Default Re: Re: Dancing?

There is a similar question with great responses on the "Cruise Critic" Message board, in the Princess Section. From what I've read there will be good opportunities for Dancing. My wife and I are Ballroomers and are looking forward to cruising on the Golden.

Lou,
Old July 21st, 2002, 07:06 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Dancing?

Lou,

There's ballroom dancing to live music in the Wheelhouse Bar. Unfortunately, on MV Golden Princess, the Wheelhouse Bar is much too small to accommodate the number of people who go there and the dance floor is much too small for serious ballroom dancing. If you are serious ballroom dancers, you would be much happier on any of the following ships.

>> MV Sun Princes, MV Dawn Princess, MV Sea Princess, MV Ocean Princess -- both the Wheelhouse Bar and the dance floor are much larger than aboard MV Golden Princess, so there's no trouble finding space.

>> MV Royal Princess -- the Riviera Club is the equivalent spot, with live music for ballroom dancing and, again, both the room and the dance floor are much larger than aboard MV Golden Princess.

I hope that it's not too late to change your booking.

I can't advise regarding either MV Regal Princess, as I have not been aboard either her or her sister.

Norm.
Old July 22nd, 2002, 11:47 AM
Lou in MA

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Dancing?

Thanks Norm, but I've selected the Ship with the Itinerary of interest. The Ship needs to be a a newser class (2,000 passangers). The dance floor is not a consideration in the selection process.

I beleive that you can mildly modify your Ballroom dance steps to accomodate any size floor and still enjoy yourself. after all this is not a dance Competition. Just don't plan on the Viennese’s Waltz and Quick Step while leaving the Cha Cha Tripple Progressive at home.

Lou,
Old July 22nd, 2002, 10:13 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Dancing?

Lou,

"Thanks Norm, but I've selected the Ship with the Itinerary of interest. The Ship needs to be a a newser class (2,000 passangers)."

I'm sorry that the 1950 passengers aboard MV Sun/Sea/Dawn/Ocean Princess aren't close enough to 2,000 for you....

"I beleive that you can mildly modify your Ballroom dance steps to accomodate any size floor and still enjoy yourself. after all this is not a dance Competition. Just don't plan on the Viennese’s Waltz and Quick Step while leaving the Cha Cha Tripple Progressive at home."

Suit yourself. If there's no room in the Wheelhouse Bar when you get there, you were forewarned.

Have a good cruise.

Norm.
Old August 22nd, 2002, 11:18 AM
Lou in MA

Default Re: Dancing?

My wife and I just returned from the Golden this past weekend. We danced every night in either the Explored or Wheelhouse lounge. The dance floors were your typical night club size with no more that 4 couples on the floor on most evenings.

Jana and Danny played a great selections and can accomodate any dance requests

Have a great cruise,
Lou