Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 23rd, 2002, 11:49 AM
Muffin

Default Advice on picking a cruise for family

Family of 6, with children ranging 21 - 11, would like suggestions on where to go on a first cruise. We would like calm seas, warm weather. We are from Maine. Three of the 4 kids likes to play basketball, but if no court OK. Just looking for suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

Muffin
Sponsored Links
Old July 23rd, 2002, 02:02 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Advice on picking a cruise for family

Many of the ships have basketball courts. Cruisline web sites shoud have this info. You might want to check out the mega-ships on Royal Carribean Lines. They have ice skating, rock walls for climbing, etc. I have heard their programs for kids are great.
Old July 23rd, 2002, 07:07 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Muffin,
For a first cruise, I'd look into either an Eastern or Western itinary, they would cruise out of Florida. There are also a few that now leave from Texas and even the east coast?
I really enjoy the Southern itinaries the best, except for the fact of flying to San Juan, its a long flight and usually expensive, so to start, there are quite a few that leave from Florida.

I also agree with checking into one of the RCCL Voyager class ships, they are wonderful for cruising with families/kids. There are so many activities onboard and great entertainment, they are wonderful!

Do let us know what you decide to cruise on, have fun!

Message Boards Moderator
Old July 23rd, 2002, 09:04 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Advice on picking a cruise for family

Donna,

"For a first cruise, I'd look into either an Eastern or Western itinary, they would cruise out of Florida. There are also a few that now leave from Texas and even the east coast?
I really enjoy the Southern itinaries the best, except for the fact of flying to San Juan, its a long flight and usually expensive, so to start, there are quite a few that leave from Florida."

You can have the best of both worlds with a 10-day cruise from Fort Lauderdale....

Norm.
Old July 23rd, 2002, 09:21 PM
Admiral

Muffin,

"Family of 6, with children ranging 21 - 11, would like suggestions on where to go on a first cruise. We would like calm seas, warm weather. We are from Maine. Three of the 4 kids likes to play basketball, but if no court OK. Just looking for suggestions."

You probably would be very satisfied on any of Princess Cruises' Caribbean, Mexican Riviera, or Panama Canal itineraries. Personally, I would recommend a cruise aboard MV Sun Princess, MV Dawn Princess, or MV Sea Princess. These sisters have about the best of everything, including children's, youth, and teen centers and programs under the direction of professional staff. There's a combination basketball, volleyball, and tennis court in the dome surrounding the funnel, three public swimming pools, and plenty else (don't want to spoil the surprise!) to entertain and amuse the youngsters while the adults also have a real vacation. For the coming winter, MV Sun Princess will cruise primarily on the Mexican Riviera, MV Dawn Princess will cruise the Caribbean from Fort Lauderdale, and MV Sea Princess will cruise to the Southern Caribbean from San Juan.

Princess will introduce a new ship, MV Coral Princess, in December. This ship will do extended Caribbean itineraries from Fort Lauderdale that go into the Panama Canal as far as Gatun Lake, where she will turn around to return to the Caribbean. I'm a little hesitant to recommend a ship that I don't know, especially to a first-timer, but all indications are that she will be even nicer than the three ships mentioned above.

If you are constrained by time and price, MV Grand Princess and MV Golden Princess offer seven-day Caribbean itiineraries from Fort Lauderdale and MV Star Princess offers seven-day itineraries to the Mexican Riviera. While these ships have more facilities than the others (at least on paper), they don't seem to function as well due to poor layout and the fact that some of the facilities are simply too small for the size of these vessels. OTOH, they might be a better fit into your schedule.

BTW, Princess Cruises does allow youngsters to have a separate cabin so long as their parents or guardians are aboard the same ship for the same cruise. This arrangement seems to work very well for larger families like yours.

Norm.
Old July 24th, 2002, 10:03 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Advice on picking a cruise for family

We are a family from Massachusetts and took our first cruise on RCCL Voyager. It was wonderful. So much for my daughter to do and my husband. I just enjoyed being on deck people-watching. The shopping street in the ship was great, especially at night.
This year we are going on Princess Grand. I have decided that with kids it is good to be on a big ship (and actually I like all they have to offer too).
Old July 29th, 2002, 03:02 PM
Yeoman

As much as I am ticked off at "RCI" right now I have to highly recommend the "Brilliance of the Seas." Slightly smaller than "Voyager" class but has rock-climbing and basketball court PLUS the junk food cafe on the "Radiance" her sister ship was superb (chicken fingers, nachos etc).