Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 29th, 2002, 10:29 AM
Nancy From Fruita CO.

Default Panama Canal cruise any suggestions on what to see and do???

We are sailing on the Ocean Princess Sept 30th for a 15 day Panama Canal cruise. We would appreciate any suggestions of what to see and do while on this cruise. We are seniors and not into water sports. I also have bad feet and can't do a lot of walking.
Thanks
Nancy from Fruita CO.
Sponsored Links
Old July 29th, 2002, 11:00 AM
Blackrobe

Default Re: Panama Canal cruise any suggestions on what to see and d

We did the 15 day Panama Canal cruise aboard the Sea Princess in April, 2001. You might find my review of the trip helpful. Go to the members reviews section of this board adn choose Princess cruises. Then choose Sea Princess, the review you are looking for is Sea Princess by William Schwartz - April 14, 2001. If I can answer any question drop me a line.
Old July 29th, 2002, 01:30 PM
Admiral

Start by reading David McCullough's Path Between the Seas. This is a "must read".
You will have a much greater appreciation for the canal and what you are seeing.
Excursion descriptions usually give you an idea of the physical requirements. Use those as your guide (plus your personal likes and dislikes of course). Be on deck for the transit through the locks (I got up at 445 am to get my spot, but I am a little nuts).
The day spent transiting the canal was the most facinating day of travel I can remember.
I hope you enjoy your canal cruise as much as we did.
Old July 29th, 2002, 02:43 PM
Yeoman

Having done the canal trip twice it might be too late to give you my best suggestion which is to have an aft-facing balcony! What a panoramic view,chairs to sit in and no one bumping into you. And if you want to see what's coming up, put your TV on the "bridge-camera" channel (also good for hearing the narration from the bridge since the transit is narrated).
Old July 29th, 2002, 10:23 PM
Admiral

Nancy,

Princess offers excellent tours in every port of call for people who have difficutly walking significant distances. You won't be alone by any means. When you get your pre-cruise information package from your travel agent (usually within a week or two of submitting your final payment), go through the "Adventures Ashore" booklet and look at the symbols next to each tour. If you read the descriptions of the tours that have a symbol with a stick figure walking on level ground (indicating tours that require limited walking and few if any stairs), you probably will find something intersting to do in each port of call.

Norm.
Old August 5th, 2002, 10:09 PM
Frank

We are doing our second transit of the Panama canal in April on the Coral Princess. This is an ideal cruise for us since we prefer days at sea. And, as someone else mentioned, the canal itself is a wonder, especially if you read anything about what was accomplished there. Most likely they will show some film on board about this too.

This time we don't plan to get off the ship at too many ports. We definitely will stay on board at Cartagena. Other than Huatelco, that we've never visited, we will probably skip the other Mexican ports too. I wish our cruise was stopping in Costa Rica, that was a nice country to visit.

If you want to see the various ports, also as someone mentioned, they will have some shore excursions that will take into consideration mobility problems. We like to catch the bus tours that give one an overview of the city or countryside since that doesn't involve much, if any, walking except for the proverbial shopping stop that they've been bribed to take you too. (NG)
Frank-in-CA