Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 30th, 2002, 10:32 PM
BoozeBabe

Default ???I'm confused???

I've been reading posts here since I just booked a cruise on the Grand Princess on Sept 15 (eastern).

My confusion involves people referring to mini-suites NOT having a balcony. We are booked in guaranteed Cat. AC or better. Ther's no chance we won't have a balcony is there? At the kind of price we're paying, I better get a balcony.

Can somone please clarify? Right now it's as "clear as mud".
Sponsored Links
Old July 30th, 2002, 10:48 PM
Gary Blow

Default Re: ???I'm confused???

Just to let you know I am booked a Guarentee AE Mini Suite and yes they all have balcony. We are also going on Sept 15th. Email me at Uconn67081@aol.com and we can talk about it and maybe we can meet you on the ship.
Old August 1st, 2002, 04:31 PM
Admiral

BoozeBabe,

My confusion involves people referring to mini-suites NOT having a balcony. We are booked in guaranteed Cat. AC or better. Ther's no chance we won't have a balcony is there? At the kind of price we're paying, I better get a balcony.

Every suite and minisuite aboard MV Grand Princess has a private balcony. The discussion, and the confusion, has been over the meaning of the word "private." In the real estate business, a balcony or a deck on an apartment is considered to be "private" if it is accessible only though the unit to which it belongs. So, too, in the cruise industry, a balcony is "private" if it is accessible only from one cabin.

Note that a "private" balcony is not necessarily a suitable place for "private" activity since there is no guarantee of "privacy" -- that is, no guarantee that a "private" balcony is not visible from other places on the ship, just as there's no guarantee that an apartment's "private" balcony won't be fully visible from other apartments in the same or another complex. Some folks misunderstood the term "private" and were very disappointed that their cabin's "private" balcony did not provide adequate "privacy" for "private" activities.

I really don't understand all this discussion of "private" balconies. In the Marine Corps, a "private" does not merit quarters with a "private" balcony. In fact, a "private" does ot even merit "private" quarters!

Norm.
Old August 1st, 2002, 09:50 PM
BoozeBabe

Thanks. Now I understand. Have cruised many times and figured I knew what I was doing when I booked. Glad I was right.

So I guess we had better keep our jammies ON while on the balcony right???

Last year we had an AFT balcony on the Radiance. The back of the ship is kind of terraced and the folks on one deck could "observe" the people below them. OOPS
Old August 5th, 2002, 06:36 PM
DrWong

Default Re: Re: ???I'm confused???

The Grand Princess is terraced in the same way but on the SIDES of the ship! Residents on the Aloha and Baja decks had great views of the activities of folks on the Caribe and Dolphin balconies, as did anyone standing on the bridge wings or sitting in the Skywalkers Lounge!

The Aft balconies, on the other hand, are reverse-terraced - if you lean over your railing, you're looking right into the ship's wake! Just make sure you don't loose change or eyeglasses in your shirt pocket when you do!
Old August 6th, 2002, 05:57 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: ???I'm confused???

BoozeBabe,

So I guess we had better keep our jammies ON while on the balcony right???

Well, it's up to you. If you don't, though, you might unexpectedly make Playboy's upcoming "Telephoto Journal: Sights from Skywalker's" special feature. IIRC, they don't need model releases if they take the photos from a public place publish them as part of a news story....

;-o

Norm.
Old August 7th, 2002, 07:03 PM
Beginner

Send a message via ICQ to Concord Cruiser Send a message via AIM to Concord Cruiser Send a message via MSN to Concord Cruiser

Hey BoozeBabe,

I think you have confused the posts that say covered balconys versus open ones. We have a guaranteed AE mini-suite on the Grand 9/1/02 and they all have balconys.

Grand Princess 9/1/02
Star Princess 5/4/02