Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 7th, 2002, 12:45 AM
hugger

Default Difference between Sun Glass and Grand Class????

Can someone please tell me the difference between Sun Glass and Grand class ships.
Which ships are which???
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old August 7th, 2002, 01:51 AM
Frank

Default Re: Difference between Sun Glass and Grand Class????

The Grand class are a little larger than the Sun class but large enough that they won't fit throught the Panama Canal. Norm recently listed information about Princess' entire fleet and if I could find that post, I'd refer you to it.
Frank
Old August 7th, 2002, 08:54 AM
Admiral

The difference is size size size... somewhere in the neighborhood of 25-30,000 gross registered tons... with the Grand Class ships being the larger. This extra size translates into the ship offering many more amenities and venues to enjoy them in. Both the Sun and Grand class vessels are superb examples of marine architecture and modern day cruising. Some prefer the slightly smaller, but by no means "small" Sun class, others prefer the larger Grand class and many, such as myself, love them both.
Old August 7th, 2002, 06:38 PM
DrWong

I'll admit that the ships do appear similar at first glance, given the similar funnel shapes, but the easiest way is to look above the stern of the ship. The Grand class has the "spoiler" containing the Skywalkers Lounge, while the Sun sisters do not.
Old August 7th, 2002, 09:20 PM
Admiral

hugger,

The most significant difference between the two classes is the layout of the public spaces. In a nutshell, the layout of the "Sun Class" works very well. The layout of the "Grand Class" is hopeless.

In past posts, I have listed about ten or twelve very obvious problems in the layout of MV Grand Princess, most of which were so ingrained in the design of the vessel that there was no hope of correcting them on the later sisters. I won't repeat them here, but feel free to go back and find the earlier posts.

If you have a choice, the "Sun Class" definitely is the superior design.

Norm.
Old August 8th, 2002, 08:53 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Difference between Sun Glass and Grand Class????

One should add to the previous post... "...for the taste of this particular poster"!

I am not alone in finding the Grand class ships to be just superb... large vessels without the large ship "feel"... very cleverly designed.

As I stated before, in my opinion these are matters of personal preference rather than "absolutes".

Ernie
Old August 8th, 2002, 12:09 PM
hugger

Default Re: Re: Re: Difference between Sun Glass and Grand Class????

Thanks to all of you - your help has been invaluable
Old August 8th, 2002, 06:38 PM
Admiral

Ernie,

Have you ever taken a cruise aboard any "Sun Class" vessel?

I am not alone in finding the Grand class ships to be just superb... large vessels without the large ship "feel"... very cleverly designed.

Let's see...

>> 1. There's the fact that passengers attempting to walking laps on the Promenade Deck have to climb the equivalent of three flights of stairs as they approach the bow, forcing them to break stride, to go around the bow catwalk, then decend three flights, breaking stride again, on the other side.

>> 2. There's the children's center and teen's center whose upper deck is so exposed to the wind that it's basically useless for activities (except for the teen hot tub).

>> 3. There's the Wheelhouse Bar, the only venue with live music for dancing, that's invariably too small for the number of passengers who want to go there to dance (try to get in after the show if you have doubts).

>> 4. There's the game room, the library, and the writing room, all of which are spaces for basically quiet activities, that adjoin the main atrium, a major activity center where there's often a fair amount of noise.

>> 5. There's the utter lack of gathering or lounge space other than an elevator and stair lobby outside the aft dining room, which retains the "Traditional Dining" plan with over five hundred passengers coming to dinner at each scheduled sitting.

>> 6. There's the "sucker" restaurant serving "southwestern" cuisine that's also a main passageway out of the Princess Theatre, guaranteeing a lot of traffic past one's table at the end of the show if one chooses to dine there. Best of all, you get to pay a surcharge to dine (?) there!

>> 7. There's the Horizon Court that's split into two separate areas, so passengers who agree to meet there won't if they happen to enter on opposite sides.

>> 8. There's the lack of any single space that's large enough for a "whole ship" event such as the traditional Captain's "Welcome Aboard" Cocktail Party, a late evening deck party, or a sailaway party.

This is your concept of a "cleverly designed" cruise ship???

Rather, this is the epitome of dysfunctional design! Neither the "Sun Class" nor MV Royal Princess have any of these problems.

Norm.
Old August 8th, 2002, 07:04 PM
Gary Blow

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Difference between Sun Glass and Grand Class

Norm,
Why are you so negative about the Grand Princess all the time. Lets see the majority of people who go on it love it and you are ONE person who doesnt. Let up alittle it is still a wonderful ship. You must have some contacts who built the Sun ships or something. I am not trying to be rude but I feel your commnets are and dont need to be like that.
Old August 8th, 2002, 07:30 PM
Frank

Norm:
You forgot the balconies on the Grand where those above can peer into your area.
Frank
Old August 8th, 2002, 08:43 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

I'm not a big fan of the layout of the Grand and Golden. Think they just overdid trying to make the ship seem smaller by creating small initimate places. End result is they are bit choppy. They're BIG ships with no real big spaces.

But Frank.. I happen to like those open to above balconies on the mini suites. Made for interesting conversations with way more neighbors than if they were enclosed<G>
Chose one of those for myself again for our upcoming CruiseMates Thanksgiving cruise on Golden.

Old August 9th, 2002, 03:20 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Difference between Sun Glass and Grand C

Gary,

Why are you so negative about the Grand Princess all the time.

Sorry if it comes across as negative, but I call it as I see it. The way I see it, the architects "blew it" in a big way. I cannot recommend this ship -- or her sisters -- to anybody. As a shareholder in the company, I'm very embarassed that our company is offering such a product.

Norm.
Old August 9th, 2002, 03:27 PM
Admiral

Frank,

You forgot the balconies on the Grand where those above can peer into your area.

That's a tough one. Some folks might actually prefer the fact that the sun shines on their balconies so they can work on their tans there in (relative) solitude rather than having to go up by the pool where there's a lot of activity and noise. Other folks -- including yourself, I presume -- obvoiusly prefer the added privacy of complete overhang even though it might shade the balcony. The balcony works as a balcony either way, though, so I can't put it in the same category as the goofs that I named.

Norm.
Old August 9th, 2002, 09:26 PM
Frank

Default Re: Re: Difference between Sun Glass and Grand Class????

Kuki wrote:

> But Frank.. I happen to like those open to above balconies on
> the mini suites. Made for interesting conversations with way
> more neighbors than if they were enclosed<G>
> Chose one of those for myself again for our upcoming
> CruiseMates Thanksgiving cruise on Golden.
>

Just don't sun bathe au naturale....(G)
Frank
Old August 11th, 2002, 09:14 AM
First Mate

Norm,
Although I get tired of your negativity sometimes, you do present some good points about the Grand class ships. I must agree with you (no matter how bad it hurts me to do so ;-)) that the Grand class could have a better design----but at the same time, I have cruised onr twice and enjoyed the experience!! It is like anything, you just adapt and get on with the task at hand --- and the task at hand is enjoying your cruise and not complaining about the design of the ship!!

Frank,
You can sun au naturale on the Caribe balconies if you are careful to stay under the covered area. The sun still shines in. Now, the Dolphin balconies are totally exposed, and I wouldn't recommend going for a "no-tan-lines" tan unless you are an exhibitionist. ;-)

Gloria
Old August 11th, 2002, 08:04 PM
Frank

Gloria wrote:

> I must
> agree with you (no matter how bad it hurts me to do so ;-))
> that the Grand class could have a better design----but at the
> same time, I have cruised onr twice and enjoyed the
> experience!!

Gloria:
If nothing else, why build a ship that is limited such as not being able to transit the Panama Canal?

> You can sun au naturale on the Caribe balconies if you are
> careful to stay under the covered area. The sun still shines
> in. Now, the Dolphin balconies are totally exposed, and I
> wouldn't recommend going for a "no-tan-lines" tan unless you
> are an exhibitionist. ;-)
>
Gloria:
I just didn't want to get the other people on board indigestion. (G)
Frank
Old August 11th, 2002, 09:53 PM
Admiral

Gloria,

[i] Although I get tired of your negativity sometimes, you do present some good points about the Grand class ships. I must agree with you (no matter how bad it hurts me to do so ;-)) that the Grand class could have a better design----but at the same time, I have cruised onr twice and enjoyed the experience!! It is like anything, you just adapt and get on with the task at hand --- and the task at hand is enjoying your cruise and not complaining about the design of the ship!! [/i[

I'm not a "small ship" affictionado by any means, but I found even MV Royal Princess to have a vastly superior layout to that of MV Grand Princess. I enjoyed my cruise aboard MV Grand Pirncess ("Venetian Explorer" itinerary in the Mediterranean), but for other reasons. I felt that the ship was the weak point of that voyage.

Would I return aboard MV Grand Princess or book a cruise aboard either of her sisters? Well, perhaps -- but only if there were a compelling reason, such as a family or group event aboard one of those vessels (in which case there's no doubt that I don't have control of the arrangements!) or perhaps if one of those vessels had an extraordinary itinerary (which I have not seen as yet).... but certainly not to go to the Caribbean, where there are plenty of better alternatives, unless I got an extraordianry price (thankfully, Princess has not gotten that desparate to fill these ships as yet!).

The responses to the survey questions that I posted a few weeks ago were also very interesting in this regard. It looked like those who indicated that the Grand Princess class was their favorite class of ship generally had not been on any of Princess's other vessels and, in most cases, had been on relatively few cruises overall. Those who had taken cruises aboard other Princess vessels generally preferred the other Princess vessels over MV Grand Princess and her sisters.

Norm.
Old August 12th, 2002, 03:16 PM
Frank

Norm wrote:

> The responses to the survey questions that I posted a few
> weeks ago were also very interesting in this regard. It looked
> like those who indicated that the Grand Princess class
> was their favorite class of ship generally had not been on any
> of Princess's other vessels and, in most cases, had been on
> relatively few cruises overall. Those who had taken cruises
> aboard other Princess vessels generally preferred the other
> Princess vessels over MV Grand Princess and her
> sisters.
>
Norm:
First time cruisers are normally awed by the experience. I'd rather take the word of folks who have varied experiences with many ships and lines.
Frank
Old August 13th, 2002, 02:12 PM
DrWong

And don't forget to advise passengers that the elevators don't serve all floors, and that certain parts of the ship (e.g. the aft dining room, the Skywalkers Lounge) is only accessible from the aft elevators - and you can only access Skywalkers from the two outboard ones!