Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 14th, 2002, 01:02 AM
sega

Default Ocean Princess to join a P&O company ?

hi.....I just want to know why the Ocean Princess will be leaving the Princess fleet and joining the P&O fleet ?.....the Ocean Princess will leave at the end of oct 2002 and the last route she'll sail will be panama canal RT from Ft . Lauderdale ......thanks...
Sponsored Links
Old August 14th, 2002, 09:36 AM
Captain

Default Re: Ocean Princess to join a P&O company ?

I would imagine one reason is to update the P&O fleet of ships. The new builds are going to Princess. With the Coral, Island and Diamond Princess ships coming out I imagine they wanted a newer larger ship in the P&O fleet. Thats just a guess on my part.
Old August 16th, 2002, 04:14 AM
Budgie

Hello Sega
Currently P&O have four ships in their fleet. Oriana and Aurora were purpose built for the UK cruise market while Victoria and Arcadia were transferred from Princess. The older two ships are leaving the P&O fleet in the next few months. Victoria is leaving altogether while Arcadia has been moved to P&O's new cruise company 'Ocean Village'. In order to keep the P&O fleet at four ships, as well as offer increased passenger capacity 2 Princess ships are to be re-branded as P&O. The first is Ocean Princess, renamed Oceana and I think the second is Dawn Princess (if not it is another one of the same class) to be renamed Adonia, this will be an adults only ship and will directly replace Arcadia currently adults only.
The addition of the two 'white sisters' as P&O call them also means that P&O will have the youngest and most modern fleet of ships operating from the UK . P&O did have a new build on order, a scaled down design based on the Grand Princess but this has now been transferred to Princess and the design changed accordingly. As a previous reply stated Princess are getting the new builds and while P&O are gaining two modern ships they are not new builds. You could make a good case that Princess customers are getting the better deal from this arrangement.
Old August 16th, 2002, 05:11 AM
Budgie

Back again.....
Sorry for the slightly incorrect reply, after a bit more research Adonia is 'Sea Princess' and not 'Dawn Princess'
Old August 29th, 2002, 07:21 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Ocean Princess to join a P&O company ?

Budgie,

The addition of the two 'white sisters' as P&O call them also means that P&O will have the youngest and most modern fleet of ships operating from the UK . P&O did have a new build on order, a scaled down design based on the Grand Princess but this has now been transferred to Princess and the design changed accordingly. As a previous reply stated Princess are getting the new builds and while P&O are gaining two modern ships they are not new builds. You could make a good case that Princess customers are getting the better deal from this arrangement.

The ship that was on order from P&O is anything but "scaled down." In fact, she has an additional deck of passenger cabins between the Promenade Deck and the Lido Deck, for a total capacity of 3100 passengers. She will become the new MV Crown Princess when she enters service, currently scheduled for the spring of 2004.

Norm.
Old August 29th, 2002, 07:26 PM
Admiral

sega,

hi.....I just want to know why the Ocean Princess will be leaving the Princess fleet and joining the P&O fleet ?.....the Ocean Princess will leave at the end of oct 2002 and the last route she'll sail will be panama canal RT from Ft . Lauderdale ......thanks...

The parent company, P&O Princess Cruises Plc., deciced to reallocate capacity among its British and North American lines. Over the last several years, there have been quite a few Brits doing "back to back" itineraries aboard the Princess ships based in San Juan. MV Oceana will offer 14-day Caribbean itineraries from Fort Lauderdale during the winter.

BTW, you can book any cruise aboard MV Oceana through Princess Cruises here in North America.

Norm.