Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 25th, 2002, 07:26 PM
RSG

Default Trans to ship in San Juan

We're a party of six scheduled on the Sea Princess out of San Juan. Does anyone know the cost of a cab or limo from the airport to the ship? Also, does the Sea Princess dock downtown across from The Wyndham? Thanks for youir help.
Sponsored Links
Old August 25th, 2002, 08:01 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Trans to ship in San Juan

HI Rsg,
Last time we took a cab to the pier it was around $20.00 plus tips and the Princess ships were docked in the old navy part of the pier, so it was not across from the Wyndham.

Message Boards Moderator
Old August 25th, 2002, 08:59 PM
Dave P

Hello...If you made your flight arrangements through Princess, they will provide transportation from the airport to the ship at no additional charge. They will have a Princess representative waiting to greet you at your gate at the airport after your plane lands. Then they will take you to the bus and then to the pier.

If you are arriving a day before the cruise leaves, and are staying at one of the hotels that Princess works with, then they will take you from the airport tot he hotel. Then on the day of the cruise, they will take you from the hotel to the pier where the ship is.

If you made your own flight arrangements and hotel arrangements, if you are arriving a day early, then you obviously have to find your own transportation to the ship. As far as I can recall, it was about $20 to $25 from the airport to the ship. I don't remember the name of the pier, but I know the ship leaves right across from the hotel we stayed at which was the Caribe Hilton. It was a higher priced hotel, but we figured if we were paying so much to go on a cruise, what's another hundred dollars or so to stay at a first class hotel. Great rooms, private bar and outside beach, sensational food. Some of the hotels in San Juan are not that great, so we would rather pay a bit more. If you're just flying the same day as the cruise, then you don't have to worry about it.

If this is your first cruise, staying a day prior to leaving is well worth your sanity. We have done it both ways and we will never fly the same day as the cruise. Too hectic and confusing. Just our opinion. Enjoy your trip

Dave
Old August 26th, 2002, 02:43 PM
DavidPR

I live in San Juan. I am not sure about the docking location of the ship. I would suggest, however, in agreement with another post, that you not plan to travel here the same day of your cruise. Although our airport has come a long way, it is still not the same as getting in and out of others. One time I return home with no glitches--another finds no gate for the plane and a one hour wait for luggage. Inconsistency is the name of the game.

At the same time, there is much to see and do in Puerto Rico, which is not a cheap vacation destination. Our Island is beatiful and has much to offer. A trip here just to get on a ship and return back the same way is somewhat of a traveling crime. While you are here, you should take advantage of what there is to see and do (which is MUCH MORE than just Old San Juan).

If you are interested to know of places to stay, I can tell you several that will not cost you $200 per night. There are MANY great places to stay here--you just have to know where.

The taxi will cost about $20--but you will need a van for six, which will be more plus luggage.

Best of luck,

David
Old August 26th, 2002, 08:56 PM
Hawkeye

Default Re: Re: Trans to ship in San Juan

I agree with DavidPR's comment. For years, we dashed into San Juan the night before the cruise and headed for the ship after a late breakfast. Headed for the airport right after disembarkation and flew home.

Three years ago we spent four days pre-cruise and two days post-cruise in San Juan and had an absolute blast. Rented a car for the first four days and literally covered the entire island. We found some great beaches and super restaurants where we were the only people in sight and incredibly friendly people.

Like DavidPR says, if you're just going to and from the ship in Puerto Rico you're really "missing the boat." ;o)
Old August 27th, 2002, 11:43 AM
RSG

Thanks to all who responded. I think we're going to try extending our stay a couple of days. We look forward to seeing more of the island.
Old August 27th, 2002, 12:21 PM
DavidPR

Default more of the Island

If you love incredible mountain and countryside scenery, one of my favorite things to do with my visiting friend and relatives is drive on the "Cordillera Central", or Central Corridor in the mountains that runs east-west literally from one side of the Island to the other. This drive is very safe, and the road is quite good, but narrow with steep inclines and sharp curves at times. You will see the highest point in Puerto Rico, which is spectacular, as well as incredible foilage. My recommendation is to drive on the higway from SJ., get off at Cayey, then west over to the scenic highway. It is very clearly marked on the map. Then, take highway 10 north to Utuado (very new and wonderful road) to the north coast and back to SJ. The entire trip I just mentioned is about 4-6 hours, with some stopping along the way.

You will never think of Puerto Rico the same way again, I guarantee it!

If you would like more explicit direcitons, just let me know.

Regards,

David

PS

A great guest house in SJ is called At Wind Chimes Inn, owned by a friend of mine named Shane Dennis--787-727-4153. They have lovely rooms, a pool, bar, and are only a short walk from a wonderul beach on the edge of Condado in San Juan. Reservations recommended. This will cost you a small fraction of a major hotel, with better and more personalized service.
Old August 27th, 2002, 03:55 PM
Camelia

Default Have you stayed at the San Juan Marriott?

We booked that hotel through Princess and will be arriving the day before and staying an extra night afterwards. Do you happen to know at what time they transfer you from hotel to ship? I've been trying to decide how much time I'll have on the morning of the cruise and it all depends on what time the transfers are.

Thanks. Camelia
Old August 27th, 2002, 09:47 PM
DavidPR

Default Re: Yes, I have stayed at the San Juan Marriott?

We stayed there in 1998 for four days following Hurricane Georges that really devastated much of the Island. The hotel is a favorite of many business travelers to PR, due to its easy access (other hotels only have one road in or out nearby and can involved traffic at certain times and days). It is nothing special or memorable, just a nice Marriott Hotel. Nice pool, several hotel restaurants, etc. Best part is the great location--on the Ocean and walking distance to eaterys, etc.

I don't know anything about your ground transportation. I have cruised out of my home in SJ before, and won this game on Celebrity, by not filling in the debarkation questionaire. If they don't know what your plans are, THEY LET YOU OFF THE SHIP FIRST. If they think Puerto Rico is your final destination, THEY LET YOU OFF LAST.

Regards,

David
Old August 28th, 2002, 08:35 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Have you stayed at the San Juan Marriott?

I don't recommend taking the Princess transportation in San Juan. We did in February.
What a mess. We could not find the representative. After waiting a half hour for our bags to show up we had to wait in line for the bus transportation. There simply were not enough buses to get everyone to the ship quickly. We waited another hour in line for a bus.
I think with 6 people it would be cheaper to take a cab. We are scheduled on a cruise in February again and plan on making our own transportation arrangements to the ship.