CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Princess Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/princess-cruise-lines/)
-   -   diving on eastern caribbean cruise (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/princess-cruise-lines/223130-diving-eastern-caribbean-cruise.html)

sun n' fun August 26th, 2002 09:04 PM

diving on eastern caribbean cruise

We are booked to leave Jan. 29th on the Dawn Princess for the 10 day eastern caribbean. We are just going through some of the shore excursions and are considering a couple dives in port. We are certified divers. Our ports are: Antigua, Barbados, St. Lucia, St. Maarten, St. Thomas and Princess Cays. Anyone have any information regarding the best ports to do some diving? Or any "must not miss shore excursions"? Thankyou.

norm August 29th, 2002 06:38 PM

Re: diving on eastern caribbean cruise

sun n' fun,

We are booked to leave Jan. 29th on the Dawn Princess for the 10 day eastern caribbean. We are just going through some of the shore excursions and are considering a couple dives in port. We are certified divers. Our ports are: Antigua, Barbados, St. Lucia, St. Maarten, St. Thomas and Princess Cays. Anyone have any information regarding the best ports to do some diving? Or any "must not miss shore excursions"? Thankyou.

The diving shore excursions probably are your best bet. Be sure to bring your PADI certificates. If you don't want to dive in any port, why not pick out the other tours that are of interest first?

Have a great cruise!

Norm.

MikeInPgh August 30th, 2002 08:24 AM

Re: diving on eastern caribbean cruise

I can help with some of the stops, first off Princess Cays, I don't think they offer any diving excursions there.

St Maarten, I went out with Trade Winds Diving a couple of years ago, nice clear water, but since we were on the Atlantic Side, lots of surge. We actually saw a whale and her calf and got into the water with them, but she took off. Good diving, but very exhausting with the surge and 5 foot swells.

Barbados, I hooked up with a company called the Wet Shop (he just recently leased his boat and gear to The Dive Shop). I ended up with the boat to myself (probably why he went out of business). The divemaster, Larraine, was the best. I have a few physical challenges and she was more than able to accomdate them and only helped me out when I was struggeling with something. She knew where all the fish and other interesting things where. Did a reef/wall dive then over to Carlisle Bay. The bay has several good wrecks in about 40 feet with great viz.

St Lucia, took my wife snorkeling at Anse Chastenet (I think that is how it is spelled). It is a resort right on the marine reserve there. Great snorkeling. Scuba St Lucia runs the dives there. Most cruise lines use them for the ship excursion. From the divers I talked to it was good diving. They did a long drift dive and a reef dive.

Never dove in St Thomas, but I understand Admiralty Dive Center is a good outfit.

A word of advice, we were there in December of 01 and my shorty was barely warm enough. I would use a full skin or full 2mm suit in Jan.