Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 27th, 2002, 05:48 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki
Default For Princess LOVERS.. What makes Princess SPECIAL?

Princess cruisers are normally a very loyal bunch. Each of our Princess cruises there seems to be a LARGE percentage or repeaters, so...

What makes Princess special? What sets Princess apart from the other cruise lines?

- my favorites..
- the 24/7 Horizon Court
- fresh water pools
- pools open late

- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Sponsored Links
Old August 27th, 2002, 05:53 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: For Princess LOVERS.. What makes Princess SPECIAL?

What makes Princess special to me is a few things, pasta, chocolate and of course the fresh water pools, makes a big difference :-) Hey also have very good service and the food is very good, entertainment is OK, nothing that special, but decent.

I'd certainly cruise with Princess again.

Message Boards Moderator
Old August 27th, 2002, 08:11 PM
Suzie

Default Re: Re: For Princess LOVERS.. What makes Princess SPECIAL?

The main reason I like Princess is the class of passengers. I've never had complaints with the service on ANY cruise line but some of the people - ugh! Princess seems to magically mix a blend of fun and good taste.
Suzie
Old August 28th, 2002, 09:10 AM
Captain

Princess staff have always been friendly at every level on the ship, at least to me. I have always enjoyed the decor on Princess ships. I have always had good meals and service and I have always felt comfortable on a Princess cruise.

I also felt the same on American Hawaii but I cannot say I felt the same on Celebrity. I will try other lines to see what they are like.
Old August 28th, 2002, 04:53 PM
Cruise Maniac

Just returmed from an E. Caribbean cruise on the Grand and it was great. Lots to do, lots of activities for every age group includeing my 16 y.o. who managed to stay out later than any of us!

I agree about Horizon Court, 24 hr. pools etc. but especially liked having my early morning juice and coffee delivered to our cabin and service on the patio. What a way to start the day!
Old August 28th, 2002, 05:38 PM
Frank

Kuki wrote:

> What makes Princess special? What sets Princess apart from
> the other cruise lines?

>
I agree with most of what others have said but I'm going to mention where they could improve things. Now this may seem petty but it is something I noticed from another cruise I am taking Sept 23rd on Celebrity's new Constellation. My documents arrived in a nice spiral bound booklet. Since I filled all my information out on line, as I do for Princess, everything came preprinted, including our luggage tags - completely preprinted with all the cruise information, our names and cabin number. There's even a little location where a new cabin number can be written in in case of an upgrade. Princess still makes one write all this information over and over on each tag. I know it's not that big a deal but I was impressed.

The document booklet looks more professional than those blue cardboard pages in the plastic holder. Of course, none of this will mean diddly if the food and service aren't as good as Princess and this doesn't mean I have switched allegience because we are also booked on the new Coral Princess for it's Panama Canal cruise from Fort Lauderdale to San Francisco in April of next year. But it wouldn't hurt to look as classy as the perception I'm receiving from Celebrity. And I am anxious to find out what that free internet ends up being on the Coral for those of us at the Platinum level.
Frank-in-CA
Old August 28th, 2002, 10:57 PM
Admiral

Kuki,

There's style, tradiation, safety, food, service, etc., that certainly exceed expectations. but let's not forget the other place where Princess truly excels -- DESTINATIONS! Where in the World would you like to go? South America? India & Africa? Asia? Auatralia & New Zealand? The South Pacific? Antarctica? Sure, everybody goes to the Caribbean, Alaka, Europe, the Mediterranean, Canada/New England, and the Panama Canal, but Princess seems to be the only major line with true global reach!

Princess also has the strongest land tour programs throughout the world for those who prefer the "cruise-tour" option, too.

Norm.
Old August 29th, 2002, 12:04 AM
Paul E

I have been on Carnival, Rccl, NCL, Celebrity, and Princess. Our last cruise was on the Grand and it was the best line I had been on out of the bunch. Fresh water pools are a big plus along with them being open late night. Was ths coolest thing to go swimming at 1am with a bunch of friends drinking beer and going from hot tubs to the pool. Personal choice dining is another favorite. Once we found the waiter that we liked we stuck with him thru the entire cruise. It took us a day to find that special waiter and after we did it was a grand time. Making a reservation for dinner was simple and at our convienance. The ship was magnificent! Check in was simple and quick and disembarkation was very nice. I hate being crowded into some public room waiting to get off the ship. Entertainment in the lounges was alright but nothing that would knock your socks off!! Loved the classic rock band that was on board and we checked them out nightly. The Burger and Pizza bar near the pool is another nice touch.
Here is my favs and dislikes of all the other lines I have been on.
Carnival.....Good entertainment lousy service. Spilled a drink in a show lounge could not get anyone to wipe it up or get a rag to clean it up myself. Very bad!! Food in the dining room was Ok on the Lido deck...............YUCK!!
RCCL Went on Soverign of the Seas. Loved the wrap around deck 7. Food was better than Carnival. Service was better. Hated the Cabin. Way way to small.
NCL.... Lots of Seafood (yummy) Entertainment sucked!! The grilling outside for lunch was a nice touch. Cabin was nice. Service was fine.
Celebrity...Very nice line but a little to stuffy for me. No fresh water pools which was a disappointment. The cabin was awesome though. The food was very good but was a bit disappointed probably was just a let down from all that I read about their food.
So as you can see I dont like stuffiness, want a descent meal, like beautiful ships, and want a little service. I find Princess to be the best for my needs
Old August 29th, 2002, 07:51 PM
Suzie Provo

I've been on 2 Princess cruises: Sun Princess through the Panama Canal, and the Grand to the Mediterranean. Have the Sea Princess booked for Jan.2003 (Southern Caribbean).
Loved the Sun. Crew, fresh water pools, passengers, etc. all were great. Also, when they played the Love Boat theme as we pulled away from the dock in Acapulco, I was hooked on them!!! Didn't like the Grand Princess, though; too big and more impersonal than the Sun, but all in all, Princess ranks up there as a great cruiseline. 2nd favorite was the Legend of the Seas (RCCL). Could be it was the itinerary (Singapore to Sydney), and the incredibly friendly passengers and crew. Plus, the Legend is a very lovely ship.

Can't wait to go on the Sun's sister ship, the Sea Princess.!!
Suzie Provo
Old August 30th, 2002, 05:32 AM
Admiral

Fresh water pools for me.

RCCL Allure of the Seas - September 18, 2011
Celebrity Eclipse - February 11, 2012:
RCCL Navigator OTS - February 9, 2013
Old August 30th, 2002, 02:18 PM
Cruise Maniac

I am not sure how to describe it, but at the end of each Princess Cruise I feel a sense of comraderie with PAX, the Crew, and Staff. I often feel that they are truly commited to my enjoying my cruise experience and I always want to go back. We have seen ship Captains and waiters we have had on prior cruises and usually embrace them and have long conversations with them.
Then there are the little memorable touches that Princess adds to every
cruise. Andrea Bocelli singing "Con te partiro" over the PA system as we arrived/left Venice. The bagpipes playing on the dock as we departed from Halifax N.S., the string quartets playing before dinner in the atrium all add up to a great product. I will keep returning for more.

Take care,
Bop
Old August 30th, 2002, 07:26 PM
idoc

I would have to say the fresh water pools also. We loved the Sea Princess, we were always able to find a place that was a bit more private. I loved the enclosed balcony, we are sailing on the Grand so I know we won't get the balcony enjoyment. The personal choice is good. Very good food in the Horizon. Some times you just don't feel like sitting though a very long dinner.
We have been on RCCL 4 times and I do feel they are more loyal to their past cruisers when it comes to upgrades. Princess is on the tight side in this area. At least they have been for the 3 cruises we have done with them. We always got a nice upgrade from RCCL.
Have taken 4 Carnival Cruise and hands down they have better entertainment. If you are taking kid or if you are on the younger side and enjoy live entertainment with good prices this would be the way to go.
We are leaving Grand soon and I am concerned about some of thing I have read. One is they don't have towels by the pools anymore. Not a smart idea. And we were so looking forward to the Butler service and now I hear they don't have that anymore. We will see, if I find that Princess has done away with these things, I will go back to Royal, they offer past passengers so much more than any other line.
Old August 30th, 2002, 07:28 PM
Yeoman

I have sailed on Princess often and am awaiting my cruise on Sea Princess in 3/03. We have sailed on RCl, Carnival and Celebrity and Princess continues to be our favorite. We love the 24 hr Horizon court, the pizzaria,pools, and entertainment. While on a Princess cruise we have a wonderful time, a nice balance of quiet, yet with an activity available when desired. The passengers are generally very friendly, and we enjoy the crew. We are one of those who found Celebrity, although the food was good, was too sedate for us. (Don't get me wrong, we are not partiers, but appreciate activities.)
Old September 1st, 2002, 01:04 PM
Tom W

As always, the food and service are great. Also the staff has been the greatest. Needed the on board hospital and they were great. The ships staff took great pains to take care of my family while I was out of commission. Also , Princess seems to have a broader range of product. We will be on Celebrity this fall and the jump from Premium Stateroom to Sky Suite was quite a jump (financially) whereas it seems that Princess has other options and Mini-Suites seem to be more fairly priced. They were our first cruise, and like your first love, they will never be forgotten.
Old September 2nd, 2002, 02:01 AM
MissyMae

Default Re: Re: Re: For Princess LOVERS.. What makes Princess SPECIA

I adore Princess. The freshwater pools, and the clientele. Mind you, I enjoy my trips on Carnival or Celebrity, but Princess just seems to be a step above those.

Anytime I cruise Princess I KNOW it will be a wonderous time. Anytime cruising is good, but on Princess its near on a guarantee, IMO.

I just love Princess the best. Pools, service, the folks I meet...it all adds up to the best.
Old September 3rd, 2002, 07:24 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: For Princess LOVERS.. What makes Princess SP

We have only taken 2 cruises, #1 RCCL Voyager and #2 Grand Princess

Although both ships are magnificent, I loved Princess. I felt the service was much better, it seemed as if the crew cared about the passengers and that it wasn't just a 'job'. Takes a special crew to do that week after week.

The food was better on Princess. I am a vegetarian so have a slightly different perspective on this, but there was more choice and it was better prepared.

The freshwater pools and covering the Calypson pool at night for night swimming - wonderful.

The decor of the ship - a little more refined.

ANYTIME DINING what a great idea