Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 1st, 2002, 01:06 PM
Heather S.

Default age restrictions

My daughter and her friends are graduating from High School in June and will all be 18. We just finished a cruise and she was delighted and has expressed to her friends her wish to cruise after graduation. The other three girls loved the idea as well. I understand that some of the cruise lines have restrictions. What is Princess Lines policy on booking ages for its passengers. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks, Maggie
Sponsored Links
Old September 2nd, 2002, 06:38 PM
Admiral

Default Re: age restrictions

Maggie,

I'm not aware of any restrictions on passengers between 18 and 21 other than that they are not allowed to gamble or to purchase alcoholic beverages aboard a Princess vessel, but I recommend that you check the "General Information" toward the back of the brochure for the specific cruise that they are considering to be sure.

Unfortunately, you did not say on which line you took your daughter. Princess is an "upscale" (premium tier) line with very British roots where the polite behavior of genteel society is both normative and expected. Some young people fit into such an environment very well and enjoy it, while others would be extremely disruptive. Since I don't know your daugher and her friends, I really have know way to determine whether such an enviroment is suitable for them. Thus, I'll leave it to you and your daughter to determine the appropriateness of a Princess cruise for your daugher and her friends.

Norm.
Old September 3rd, 2002, 02:52 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: age restrictions

If I understand you correctly, and you are talking about your daughter and friends going on their own on the cruise, I think you will find that the age restrction is at least 21. I remember a thread about this a while ago - I can't remember the line, but one of them had a restriction of age 25 (and it wasn't one of the luxury lines)! The person who started the thread was 22 and wanted to go on his honeymoon with his 21 year old wife, but found that they weren't old enough to sail alone! This was a couple of years ago - don't know if that is the case.
My daughter is 18 and has just graduated fom high school. (We took her and our son, who just finished grammar school on a graduation trip on the Golden in the Mediterranean August 6th and had a wonderful time). She and her frineds are really responsible, and I think they could easily cruise by themselves - and behave better than many adults! Unfortunately, I don't think that is the norm amongst kids that age, so the cruise lines don't want to take the chance. Carnival would be the most likely to take unaccompanied 18 year olds, I think, but I bet even they won't.
Sheila
Old September 3rd, 2002, 02:59 AM
First Mate

I just checked Princess and Carnival's web sites out of curiousity. Couldn't find any relevant info on Princess, but Carnival's policy is that anyone under 21 must be accompanied by someone over 25. I think that was the issue with the fellow who started the thread I saw - his wife was not yet 21, but he was not yet 25, so they couldn't book the cruise! Someone advised him to contact the cruise line and explain that it was a honeymoon, and the requirement might be waived, but I never saw the final outcome.
Sheila
Old September 3rd, 2002, 01:24 PM
Frank

Sheila wrote:

> I just checked Princess and Carnival's web sites out of
> curiousity. Couldn't find any relevant info on Princess, but
> Carnival's policy is that anyone under 21 must be accompanied
> by someone over 25. I think that was the issue with the fellow
> who started the thread I saw - his wife was not yet 21, but he
> was not yet 25, so they couldn't book the cruise! Someone
> advised him to contact the cruise line and explain that it was
> a honeymoon, and the requirement might be waived, but I never
> saw the final outcome.
>
Sheila:
I think Carnival made this change recently to try and get away from their "party" image when they've had a boatload of spring breakers that made the voyage uncomfortable for many.
Frank-in-CA
Old September 5th, 2002, 07:34 AM
First Mate

I think the age restriction is lifted/waived for married people. But you have to have proof, ie a marriage certificate.
Old September 9th, 2002, 06:56 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: age restrictions

Sheila,

Carnival Cruise Line had a major problem with "Spring Breakers" of college age "taking over" their ships and offending other passengers. As part of an effort to shed the "Frat Party" image, Carnival established age restrictions of the sort that you describe -- and you are right; Carnival is NOT "one of the luxury lines." The other cruise lines, however, have not had the problem.

I actually checked the "terms and conditions" in Princess's latest brochures before I posted my original reply to Heather, and found nothing there regarding age restrictions on Princess. There were several items on passengers under 18 (basically the usual requirement for written permission if they are not travelling with either both of their parents or their legal guardian), but the no restrictions on passengers over 18 were the prohibitions on (1) drinking or buying alcohol aboard ship and (2) gambling.

Norm.
Old September 9th, 2002, 06:58 PM
Admiral

Sheila,

I just checked Princess and Carnival's web sites out of curiousity. Couldn't find any relevant info on Princess, but Carnival's policy is that anyone under 21 must be accompanied by someone over 25. I think that was the issue with the fellow who started the thread I saw - his wife was not yet 21, but he was not yet 25, so they couldn't book the cruise! Someone advised him to contact the cruise line and explain that it was a honeymoon, and the requirement might be waived, but I never saw the final outcome.

Carnival excepts (1) a married couple traveling together and (2) children whose parents are staying in another cabin in the same room.

Norm.
Old September 10th, 2002, 01:09 PM
DavidPR

Call my cruise agent, who will be able to tell you in a very brief conversation:

Luis Rivera
Sterling Cruises
800-435-7967

They are the best that I have found, and can get you unbelievable "below Internet" prices on many trips, which has been my favorable experience. I wouldn't book a cruise with anyone else. He will know the answer to your question, and can also assist you with all of your arrangements. Just tell him that David in Puerto Rico sent you.

Regards,

David
San Juan