Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 4th, 2002, 08:45 AM
Passenger

Default Comments on Golden 18-30 Aug

We have just returned from Golden Princess in the Med and are so sorry it is over.
Thank you Norm for telling us a good place to sit was at the back of the Horizon Court which we did. We did miss no deck chairs on the Promenade unlike P & O but there were nice forms to sit on and no crowds like on the pool deck. Our cabin was inside on Deck 5 and was very comfortable and bright with lots of mirrors. Bathroom and shower were very small just as well we are slim.
The staff were all very very friendly and we liked the informal atmosphere and could wear casual dress most nights and preferred anytime dining..
Although it is a very big ship it did not seem it and we felt at home and the decor was very elegant.
The Ports of call were good though we had been to most of them before. I specially wanted to visit Rome but did'nt want to go ourselves. We found out afterwards it could be done by train very cheaply. But we did Rome on your own which at $69 was very expensive just to take you to St Peters Square. We found it very hard to find the places of interest and would not recommend it unless you want to stay at the Vatican where they dropped us off.
We did enjoy the Athens half day leisurely tour which gave us a glimpse of the most interesting places in air conditioned comfort!
The shows were excellent but not enough of them. The evening entertainment in the Atrium was very good. We would have liked larger dance floors but I don't think American ships have them unlike British ships.
Otherwise we can't really fault the Golden Princess and prefer it to the Oriana and Arcadia of P & O.
I have enjoyed reading all the messages before we sailed and do hope we will be able to take another cruise as we think it is the perfect vacation.
So thank you Princess and Cruisemates.
Sponsored Links
Old September 5th, 2002, 05:22 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Comments on Golden 18-30 Aug

Thanks for posting. I'm so glad you enjoyed your cruise onboard Golden. I'll be sailing her for Thankgiving. So tell me....have you begun to think about your next cruise yet?

RCCL Allure of the Seas - September 18, 2011
Celebrity Eclipse - February 11, 2012:
RCCL Navigator OTS - February 9, 2013
Old September 5th, 2002, 07:56 AM
susancruzs

Glad you enjoyed your cruise aboard the Golden. I'll be sailing her at T-time, too and looking forward to being on one of the newer Princess ships. Time to start planning
your next cruise! Thanks!

Susan will be cruisin with CruiseMates
Old September 9th, 2002, 06:45 PM
Admiral

Fran,

We would have liked larger dance floors but I don't think American ships have them unlike British ships....

Otherwise we can't really fault the Golden Princess and prefer it to the Oriana and Arcadia of P & O.

Two of the best four ships in the Princess fleet are about to go to P&O. MV Ocean Princess will become MV Oceana in November or so and sister MV Sea Princess will become MV Adonia next May. I'm going to miss these graceful ladies, but you'll find very nice dance floors and plenty of seating in the Wheelhouse Bar on both of these ships! The Wheelhouse Bar on each of these vessels, BTW, is about twice as big as the Wheelhouse Bar aboard MV Golden Princess and the dance floor also is much larger.

I should also mention that both of these ships have nice teak lounges so much on both sides of the Promenade Deck.

Happy cruising!

Norm.
Old September 10th, 2002, 03:12 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Comments on Golden 18-30 Aug

Dear Norm

Thanks for the info about Adonia and Oceana. Have already received details from
P & O and they look very good. I am certainly thinking about cruising again but have to wait and see what offers there are.
I will continue to look up the messages as they are very entertaining.

Many thanks

Fran
Old September 10th, 2002, 09:21 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Comments on Golden 18-30 Aug

Fran,

I know that P&O was offering some deals aboard MV Oceana for the coming fall and winter -- mostly a rather diverse multitude of two-week Caribbean itineraries operating out of Port Everglades (Fort Lauderdale), Florida. The package deals included charter air to/from either London or Manchester.

Happy cruising!

Norm.