Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 16th, 2002, 06:40 PM
Admiral

Default Island Princess

I have an interest in going on the Island Princess for at least two reasons: I have always been interested in the Renaissance ships,(R-1,2,3,4,5,6, etc.) but have never sailed on any of them. I also have never been to Tahiti and thought cruising might be a great introduction.

Well, I was web surfing on Travelocity this weekend and found a west coastal cruise (Vancouver B.C. to San Francisco) on the Island Princess, next year, that will sail 09-20-03. I decided to book it now because the cabin space is wide open right now and the prices are fairly reasonable, although not a bargain. I assume this cruise must have just been released for bookings, because so very few cabins have been sold.

I guess my point is that it might be fun for some of the Cruise Mates folks to book this mini-cruise as a sampler to see if they like this class of smaller ships before they bite the bullet and book the Tahiti tour. That's what I did and was wondering if others are thinking about it.

P.S. I am also on the exact same itinerary this year on the 9-28 sailing of the Ocean Princess. I thought it might be fun to compare the same mini cruise on two very different ships.

Comments?????? Are others booking???
Sponsored Links
Old September 16th, 2002, 08:59 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Island Princess

Hi Chuck,
I think thats an excellent idea. If I didn't have to worry about airfare for such a short cruise, I'd certainly think about doing either of those. Having to come from the Midwest, just doesn't work

Would love to know if you do book a Tahiti cruise and how you do like the Island Princess, be sure to let us know.

Message Boards Moderator
Old September 17th, 2002, 08:24 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Island Princess

I believe the Island Princess will be a sister to the Coral Princess. The 2 Ren ships are the Tahitan Princess and the Pacific Princess II.
Old September 17th, 2002, 09:05 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Island Princess

Ooooooooops! Thanks! I had better check this out, but I'll probably go anyway.
Old September 17th, 2002, 04:09 PM
Frank

Default Re: Re: Re: Island Princess

Rick wrote:

> I believe the Island Princess will be a sister to the Coral
> Princess. The 2 Ren ships are the Tahitan Princess and the
> Pacific Princess II.

You mean the Tahitian Princess which is the other Ren ship. The Coral is set to start sailing in December and holds more than twice the passengers as these two Ren ships.
Frank-in-CA
Old September 17th, 2002, 06:54 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Island Princess

Thanks!
Old September 17th, 2002, 07:09 PM
Admiral

You guys were quite correct. I must apologize for my confusion. I guess I'll have to figure out another way to test drive the R-3 or the R4. Thanks again for your help.
Old September 17th, 2002, 07:14 PM
Admiral

Chuck,

I have an interest in going on the Island Princess for at least two reasons: I have always been interested in the Renaissance ships,(R-1,2,3,4,5,6, etc.) but have never sailed on any of them. I also have never been to Tahiti and thought cruising might be a great introduction.

Well, I was web surfing on Travelocity this weekend and found a west coastal cruise (Vancouver B.C. to San Francisco) on the Island Princess, next year, that will sail 09-20-03. I decided to book it now because the cabin space is wide open right now and the prices are fairly reasonable, although not a bargain. I assume this cruise must have just been released for bookings, because so very few cabins have been sold.

I guess my point is that it might be fun for some of the Cruise Mates folks to book this mini-cruise as a sampler to see if they like this class of smaller ships before they bite the bullet and book the Tahiti tour. That's what I did and was wondering if others are thinking about it.

P.S. I am also on the exact same itinerary this year on the 9-28 sailing of the Ocean Princess. I thought it might be fun to compare the same mini cruise on two very different ships.

Rick is right. the former MV R3 will become the new MV Pacific Princess and the former MV R4 is the new MV [i] Tahitian Princess. MV Island Princess is a sister to MV Coral Princess that will enter service around May of next year, just in time for the Alaska cruise season.

MV Coral Princess and MV Island Princess will displace about 88,000 tons and will carry 1970 passengers based on double occupancy. Based upon the deck plans in Princess's 2002-2003 "Panama Canal" brochure, these ships appear to be very nice.

Norm.