Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 17th, 2002, 09:08 PM
Chirs

Default What am I instore for in a inside stateroom on the Grand?

I'm a first time cruiser leaving 4/20/03. I booked an inside cabin on the Princess Grand Aloha deck.

I usually get hotel rooms with balconys but to save money I had to choose an inside room. I am concerned about not having sunlight peaking through the window.

Will I have a feeling of sleeping in a closet????

Where do I store 4 large suitcases?

Any suggestions about moving the beds around?

Thanks,
Chris
Sponsored Links
Old September 17th, 2002, 09:19 PM
Admiral

Default Re: What am I instore for in a inside stateroom on the Grand

Well... you can store the suitcases under the beds (4 large suitcases for a 7 night cruise for 2 people? wow!)... and they convert to a queen or two twins. Inside cabin? Well, a cruise line executive suggests you ask yourself if you have ever slept in a bedroom without a window. A lot of people answer "no". That, in essence, is what you booked. If the absence of the window doesn't bother you, the Insides on the Grand Class ships are roomy and comfortable.

Let us know how it turned out.
Old September 17th, 2002, 09:25 PM
Yeoman

Default Re: Re: What am I instore for in a inside stateroom on the G

I sailed on the Grand last year in an inside cabin. The colors in the room were beautiful and a mirror over the bed helped make the room appear larger. Didn't bother me as I spend very little time in the cabin.
Old September 17th, 2002, 09:41 PM
Cruise Maniac

We Too are booked on the Grand 4/20/03
We got an AD mini suite and a JJ across the hall for the kids. We are also traveling with two other familys. What are your ages and what kind of things do you like to do. Maybe wewill see you on the ship. Where are you coming from? We sailed the golden in march and it was great. The two ships are pretty much the same as far as I know. You are going to love it.
TTYL
Scott
Old September 17th, 2002, 10:53 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Re: What am I instore for in a inside stateroom on t

We just returned from the Grand and had an inside stateroom. We spent very little time in the stateroom so inside was OK. The only problem is when you wake up you don't know if it is morning or still the middle of the night. The storage space was more than adequate. All luggage fit under the bed.
Old September 18th, 2002, 01:51 PM
First Mate

I think they have lamps over the beds that you can turn on, but I would still recommend taking a nightlight for those unexpected trips to the bathroom in the middle of the night. As I recall, the bathrooms doors do not like to stay open by themselves and it can get really dark in those rooms.
Old September 18th, 2002, 07:12 PM
Admiral

Chris,

The lack of sunlight actually is an advantage -- you won't be awakened when you want to "sleep in" after a late evening.

The inside cabins aboard MV Grand Princess have enough space for their intended functions -- that is, sleeping, washing, and dressing. I doubt that you'll want to hang out there -- but you're not going on a cruise to hang out in your cabin anyway, are you???

The suitcases will fit under the bed(s), with no problem.

The beds fit only one way, but your cabin steward can configure them as either a queen or two twins. If you find one arrangement and prefer the other, ask your steward to change it.

Norm.
Old September 18th, 2002, 07:49 PM
Chirs

Default Re: Re: What am I instore for in a inside stateroom on the G

Thank you all for reassuring me about the room. I know you never stay hanging around in a room while on vacation. But, you also don't want to feel like a sardine.....Looking forward to our first cruise and will pack a night-light.....Just in case.... Thanks again....Happy Cruzin ! ! !
Old September 19th, 2002, 11:39 AM
dallastx75206

I have been in an inside cabin on the grand. I found it just fine as far as space goes. For a nightlight i just kept on the light inside the bathroom. There is a small air space under the bathroom door that allows just enough light to filter into the room so you can see once your eyes are adjusted to the dark.
My only two complaints was the walls are very thin and you can hear your neighbors cabins TV's/hairdryer and sometimes conversations/laugher at night when you are trying to sleep and your neighbors are not. I was lucky to have brought ear plugs. I dont think they did much insulation between cabins. Make sure not to get a inside cabin near a big white blank space on the floorplan. I found those white spaces are for storage entrances for cleaning carts and food deliverly. It was very loud very early in the morning with dishes clanging and hearing staff go in and out with thier rolling clreaning carts. I was next to that white space and the people i was traveling with were 3 cabins away from that white space and even they could hear all the noise from the cleaning carts and dishes starting around 5-6am then most of the morning.
As for the ship I have never sailed on a better designed ship. I think its a great ship and would sail again. Food was very good at buffets and dinning rooms compared to other ships i have been on. The specialty resturants (Italian & mexican) are both great and I would do the Italian one for Dinner and the Mexican one for a Lunch on a sea day.
Old September 20th, 2002, 08:32 PM
Cruise Maniac

Altho, I have never sailed in an inside cabin I know you can also ask your cabin stewart to take your bags. They will return them the night before the end of cruise. Happy Sailings
Old September 20th, 2002, 10:56 PM
mkaro

Another good tip is to turn the TV onto the bridge cam channel but turn the sound off before you go to bed. You will be gently awakened by the sunrise as seen through the camera. You can also use this tip during the day to check the weather and whether there is land in site. It is almost as good as having a window.