CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Princess Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/princess-cruise-lines/)
-   -   Diamond Princess Fire (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/princess-cruise-lines/223258-diamond-princess-fire.html)

Michael Sinn October 1st, 2002 02:11 PM

Diamond Princess Fire

LONDON -(Dow Jones)- P&O Princess Cruises said Tuesday that the Diamond Princess ship has suffered a major fire in the shipyard.

The Diamond Princess is currently under construction at the Mitsubishi Heavy Industries shipyard in Nagasaki, Japan and is scheduled for delivery on May 31, 2003.

The ship is due to commence service on June 19, 2003 and be deployed in Alaska for the 2003 summer season.

The company said that it understands there are no casualties and everyone at the yard is accounted for. The extent of the damage is not as yet known, but appears to be significant.

P&O Princess Cruises said it will take sometime to assess the extent of the damage and any consequent delay to the scheduled delivery.

However, it noted that the company has in place contractual arrangements with the yard and insurance policies that it believes, irrespective of the extent of the damage and any consequent delay, will be sufficient to ensure that there will be no significant economic impact on the Group nor any adverse impact on its 2003 earnings.

rayb October 1st, 2002 02:46 PM

Re: Diamond Princess Fire

The Regal Princess is scheduled to be in Nagasaki on Oct 29th. Maybe we will see the damage.

Ray

Rick October 1st, 2002 02:56 PM

You can see a picture on "that other website's Princess board" Looks bad. We're supposed to be on the Diamond for her second sailing on June 22. Probably going to switch to the Star.

libby October 1st, 2002 05:26 PM

Re: Re: Diamond Princess Fire

What "Other Website"?

norm October 1st, 2002 07:33 PM

Rick,

I would hold off on switching until the impact is known, as there might be enough time for the shipyard to recover. Also, Princess probably will switch your reservation and contact you automatically if you do nothing.

Norm.

norm October 1st, 2002 07:38 PM

Michael,

Thanks for the information.

The real economic impact obviously is in the potentially dissatisfied customers whose bookings might be affected (nothing certain, as there's still potentially enough time for the shipyard to meet the scheduled delivery with extra staffing). The shipyard (or their insurer) undoubtedly will take a bath on this one no matter what they do, but they probably suffer less by putting more manpower on the project and accelerating the recovery schedule in order to deliver the ship on time than by delaying delivery and eating the penalties that shipbuilding contracts typically contain in addition to the cost of the added work.

Norm.

Donna October 1st, 2002 08:43 PM

Here is the link to the picture, which by the way is already on this sight:

http://www.nikkei.co.jp/news/main/im...101102002.html

PapaBill October 2nd, 2002 09:19 AM

According to a cruise newsletter I get ,the ship burned for 19 hours, 80% of her interiors are gone and the inaugural season is in jeopardy. There is another Princess ship that does the same itinerary with a one day difference , I would jump on that if you want to cruise same trip and time frame.

Cruisin' Dj October 3rd, 2002 12:37 PM

I must agrree with papa Bill. According to "cruise news daily", It took the better part of a day to extiniguish the fire, and a large part of the interior is destroyed. A delay in the Innaugural season is "anticipated". here is a link for the article.
http://www.cruisenewsdaily.com/

Cruisin' DJ

norm October 3rd, 2002 10:51 PM

Cruisin' Dj,

Your link makes it sound like the shipyard ought to scrap the hull and start over. I doubt that they will, though....

Norm.

Arthur Oswald October 7th, 2002 07:18 PM

We are scheduled for a cruise in August 2003 could you please update me as to the prognosis of the unfortunate fire on board the Diamond Princess last week?

norm October 7th, 2002 09:07 PM

Arthur,

If you have read this thread and its links, you know as much as we do. It probably will take a month or so for the shipyard to assess the full extent of the damage and then to formulate a recovery plan. Based upon the information that we have so far, it sounds like they will have to replace carpeting and wall coverings in a lot of spaces, but a decent shipyard can do that in a couple weeks. The replacement of wiring damaged by the fire could take a little longer.

Anyway, I suspect that we will receive more information in the next few weeks.

Norm.

Insider November 16th, 2002 02:12 PM

Diamond Princess Fire

I understand that they are cutting out all the burned and unusable steel... but most importantly, Sapphire princess will miracurously become Diamond princess, and the burned skeleton of Diamond will become Sapphire Princess after some rebuilding.

As for carpets and furnishings, these items are not even onboard until the last two-three months of the building process...even though the ship is floating. As soon as the ship is 'safe to float' it is taken out of the high priced real estate of the drydock, where another hull can begin assembly the next day!

All these financial losses are covered by insurance of the yard, as the ship does not legally belong to the cruise line until it is completed and fully commissioned!

norm November 20th, 2002 08:22 PM

Insider,

I understand that they are cutting out all the burned and unusable steel... but most importantly, Sapphire princess will miracurously become Diamond princess, and the burned skeleton of Diamond will become Sapphire Princess after some rebuilding.

That's right. The yard is accelerating work on the second hull, so there will be no further delays and no further cancellations (we hope).

Of course, the ship also technically is not named until it is christened so the exchange of names is no big deal.

All these financial losses are covered by insurance of the yard, as the ship does not legally belong to the cruise line until it is completed and fully commissioned!

That's true, but the shipyard enters default on the contract if it fails to deliver the vessel on time. The cruise line also suffers lost revenue due to the delay in delivery, for which the shipyard becomes liable due to the default. Of course, this also is covered by the shipyard's insurance.

Norm.