Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 8th, 2002, 02:17 PM
Familiar Face

Default Mex. Riviera vs Caribbean

I would love any feedback about a Mexican Riviera cruise. I am debating about doing some kind of Caribbean(either eastern or southern) or the Mexican one. I see the Star Princess goes to the Mexican Riviera. Any thoughts on that ship? Thanks!
Sue
Sponsored Links
Old October 9th, 2002, 04:48 PM
Frank

Default Re: Mex. Riviera vs Caribbean

I have been on 8 cruises to the Mexican Riviera and am booked on the Star Princess next spring. In my opinion, the ports are just fair. OK to see them once or twice. I am only going again to be on the Star Princess. I just drive to LA from San Diego. I may not even get off in Mazatlan.
Old October 9th, 2002, 10:47 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Mex. Riviera vs Caribbean

SueZ,

The Mexican Riviera has improved considerably in recent years. How it compares with the Caribbean depends upon which islands in the Caribbean.

I recommend the ten-day cruise aboard MV Sun Princess rather than the seven-day cruise aboard MV Star Princess, partly because the ship has a vastly superior layout and partly because you get two additional ports of call.

Norm.
Old October 15th, 2002, 02:01 PM
Familiar Face

Default Re: Re: Mex. Riviera vs Caribbean (Norm)

Thanks Norm and everyone else!
We booked the Sun Princess 10 day Mexican Riviera leaving Jan. 5. The only other cruise I have been on was the Sun Princess Alaskan Gulf from Seward to Vancouver (June 2002...which was phenomenal!). The Mexican Riviera balcony price was so good we couldn't say NO. Do you think that the shows will still be the same since its only 7 months since we sailed the Sun Princess? We only saw the shows in the caberet style lounge (which name escapes me because I am brain dead :-) We never did make it to the Princess Theatre. Everytime we tried to go it was already full after the 2nd seating dinner. We had the 2nd dinner seating which we didnt like because we kept missing alot of shows. We are waitlisted for the 1st seating and if we dont get that we are going to do the Personal Choice. Norm, have you ever done Personal Choice? I was wondering how long people usually have to wait to get seated if they go to dinner at a busy time? And do you make reservations or what? Anything else you LOVE about the Sun feel free to share with us. With 10 days on board this time instead of 7, we can really take full advantage. Have you ever done the afternoon Tea?
Thanks,
Sue
Old October 15th, 2002, 06:27 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Mex. Riviera vs Caribbean (Norm)

Sue,

Do you think that the shows will still be the same since its only 7 months since we sailed the Sun Princess? We only saw the shows in the caberet style lounge (which name escapes me because I am brain dead :-) We never did make it to the Princess Theatre. Everytime we tried to go it was already full after the 2nd seating dinner.

I think that you might have a chance to see some of the shows that you missed on your earlier cruise, and several of them actually are worth seeing again!

I'll let you in on a secret about the Princess Theater aboard MV Sun Princess. The layout of the main passageway on the Promenade Deck naturally funnels passengers beside the Wheelhouse Bar to the entrance on the port side. If you go to the entrance on the starboard side instead, you probably will find some seats. I always request second seating, and have found that going to the "out of the way" entrance usually works.

We are waitlisted for the 1st seating and if we dont get that we are going to do the Personal Choice. Norm, have you ever done Personal Choice?

Yes. My last four cruises featured (?) "Personal Choice Dining" -- and my "Personal Choice" is the second seating in "Traditional Dining."

I got stuck -- and I really do mean STUCK -- in "Anytime Dining" once because both seatings of traditional dining were full. I found that (1) service suffered because the waiter and assistant waiter did not have the opportunity to get to know one's preferences and (2) there was a lot more traffic past one's table, and attendant commotion, from other passengers entering and leaving the dining room during one's meal. On the whole, the experience was not as pleasant as "Traditional Dining." By the third day of the cruise, I was sufficiently frustrated with the experience that I saw the Maitre D' to request a change to "Traditional Dining." He seated me with a table of most delightful Brits with whom an American couple apparently could not get along.

BTW, in Princess's terminology, "Personal Choice Dining" means that you have a choice of either "Traditional Dining" or "Anytime Dining." If a ship were to offer only "Anytime Dining," it would NOT offer "Personal Choice Dining."

Anything else you LOVE about the Sun feel free to share with us.

Be sure to try out the magical teak deck lounges on the SHADY side of the Promenade Deck. (WARNING: The magical lounges on the sunny side of the Promenade Deck sometimes cause the "lobster look" -- and several days of misery.) ;-)

Have you ever done the afternoon Tea?

You bet -- as often as possible. Don't miss it!

Norm.