Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 9th, 2002, 08:59 PM
DavidPR

Default Last minute upgrade purcchase discount

As I have posted previously, I am taking the final voyage of the "real" Pacific Princess 10/27, and currently booked in cat. "C". I realize that my chances of an upgrade, at best, are slim, and would like one of the remaining larger category BB cabins, however, the current asking price is very steep, at $800 per passenger more.

I have read that Princess will sometimes sell an upgrade, if available, the week prior to sailing at a discount, rather than give the cabin away as an upgrade. Even though my trip was purchased through an agent, today I called Princess myself to see what they would tell me their policy is on this subject. The woman with whom I spoke, although very polite and willing to humor my inquiry, was somewhat definite that Princess would rather give the upgrade away as opposed to lower the price on the cabins, and that the price in place now (which she of course could not reveal, although I knew what it was) would be the same price up until the sail date, with no other reductions planned.

Does anyone have any first hand knowledge or experience with the purchase of an upgrade at the "last minute" as I am mentioning? Is it possible that my agent could get me a discount, say on 10/21, and this woman didn't either know this, or want to reveal this fact, thinking I may purchase the upgrade now at the current offered price?

Incidentally, I when I inquired as to the methods use to upgrade passengers, she indicated this this was executed entirely by computer, at random, based upon Captain's Club membership, and then booking date. From all the many posts I've read on this and other boards, I've never seen any mention of computers selecting who gets an uprade.

Any thoughts or information much appreciated,

David
Sponsored Links
Old October 10th, 2002, 09:27 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Last minute upgrade purcchase discount

If you want that room, purchase it now - chances are somebody will book it before sailing. If it doesn't sell, Princess will do a chain reaction upgrade to free up the least expensive room they can to sell at the last minute.
Old October 10th, 2002, 10:12 AM
DavidPR

Default Re: Re: Last minute upgrade purcchase discount

BB,

Thanks for your thoughts. I am not sure, however, if the trip is going to sell out. There are about 20 cabins available at this point. Considering the length of this voyage, and that it begins in 15 days, I'd be surprised if that many sell out at this late date.

In any event, we're not willing to pay $1,600.00 for 60 square feet of space, so unless there is some reduction in this rate, we'll just have to take our chances.

Regards,

David
Old October 12th, 2002, 10:13 PM
Yeoman

Years ago I sailed on the Pacific Princess and booked the largest outside cabin for a party of 3. One week before sailing Princess called to say they were upgrading us to a mini suite because they had a chance to sell our cabin. What a lovely surprise as the suite was wonderful! Perhaps it helped that I was working for a major airline at the time.

Happy Sailing,
Carol
Old October 16th, 2002, 07:01 AM
anivory

Default Re: Re: Last minute upgrade purcchase discount

I am on a wailist for an AC on the Dawn Princess. I was #38 and they called me twice so far because they had an available AC Suite. I asked if I could get it at a discount and they said no it was being sold $4399.00. We would have to pay about 3200.00 more for the both of us. We had a BA.

On NCL I was offered a discounted suite which was for a reasonable amount of money about three weeks before cruising.

As of this time I am going to be happy with the BA because that is what I will get from Princess. (no discounts)

3 weeks to go and they have an AC available but they won't sell it for a discounted price.
They also have an AA.
Old October 16th, 2002, 08:11 AM
DavidPR

Default Re: Re: Re: Last minute upgrade purcchase discount

I was told by my TA that IF the would consider a discounted upgrade, that it wouldn't be until about three or four days prior to sail date, IF they hadn't already moved people around to fill in the cabins.

Your offer was probably rejected because the lower class cabins were all sold out and in demand, and Princess knows that they will move someone else up and sell to more passengers.

Thanks for posting.
Old November 4th, 2002, 04:45 AM
Lillian

David:
I am going on the Sea Princess on November 30 and I got a super price on a double cabin. I've been on a lot of cruises but this price I found on this ship is marvelous. It was too good to leave it go, so I am going on the Sea Princess on November 30 and on the Adventure of the Seas on December 8.

Lillian