Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 18th, 2002, 07:55 PM
Familiar Face

Default Norm...need your help AGAIN!

Norm,
Can you to me how it works with the catagories and decks and all that stuff. You gave me a detailed explanation several months ago which I printed out and I cannot find if for the life of me, now. I am needing an understanding of which decks are the best on the Sun. We are guaranteed a BF or a BE on the Caribe. What makes one catagory better than another. Is it placement on the ship (i.e. middle as opposed to the very fore or aft). Last cruise we got the last room on the Baja on the Starboard aft and we definitely could feel the motion of the ship, alot. (Alaska). We dont have a stateroom assignment yet. I am praying it wont be in the very front or the very back (AGAIN). I am needing one of your famous lessons, again!
Thanks,
Sue
Sponsored Links
Old October 20th, 2002, 09:00 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Norm...need your help AGAIN!

Sue,

There are many factors that can influence the relative ranking of categories of cabins. By way of example, a cabin that is larger than the standard size (usually called "deluxe") will have a higher category than a cabin of the standard size. Likewise, a cabin with a balcony that's larger than standard size will be a higher category than a cabin with a standard balcony, suites rank higher than standard cabins, etc.

Among identical cabins, the following rules generally apply.

>> 1. A cabin located amidships will be a higher category than a cabin located foreard or aft on the same deck.

>> 2. A cabin located on a higher deck will be a higher category than a cabin in a similar location on a lower deck.

On Princess's newer ships, the decks immediately below the pool deck, in order, are the Aloha, Baja, Caribe, and Dolphin decks. If you look at the deck plans, you will see that the inside and balcony cabins located amidships on the Baja Deck are the same categories as the respective types of cabins located forward and aft on the Aloha Deck, and one category below the respective types of cabins located amidships on the Aloha Deck and one category above the respective types of cabins located forward or aft on the Baja Deck or amidships on the Caribe Deck. The balcony cabins on the Dolphin Deck and the Emerald Deck of MV Grand Princess, MV Golden Princess, and MV Star Princess break this pattern because they have balconies that are about twice the standard size.

BTW, I really doubt that you felt much motion since I have yet to find a cruise ship that moves a lot. The last time I crossed the Atlantic, aboard the 45,000 ton helicpter carrier USS Saipan (LHA-2), we encountered 30' seas. Motion? You bet! The ship's chaplain had arragned a "steal beach picnic" on the flight deck for Easter Sunday that got cancelled because surf was up on the steel beach! With twelve-foot waves rolling down 750' of flight deck, there was no way to do otherwise. It was the best amusement park ride that I have ever seen, though -- and it did not end after only five minutes! In fact, it lasted for over a week.

Of course, we also had a battalion of marines aboard, many of whose faces were about the same shade of green as their uniforms....

Which might explain why cruise lines use hydraulic stabilizers to counter the forces of the waves....

Anyway, I hope that this helps.

Norm.
Old October 20th, 2002, 11:59 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Norm...need your help AGAIN!

Hi Sue!

First of all, my advice is if you want to feel less motion, than choose your cabin in admidships. I would much rather prefer to know I'm in a more stable location, then to hold out for a possible upgrade with a guarantee booking. That "upgrade" could mean being in a cabin waaaay up front or back. That happened to us about 10 years ago. It wasn't fun the last night. Why? See below---second encounter:

Norm mentioned that he doubts you felt much motion on a cruiseship. Hmmmm...in 1988 on our first cruise on board the Tropicale, we ran into a storm the first night of embarking on our way to the Mexican Riviera. Let me tell you, we felt MOTION! The Captain was apologizing and closing up certain portholes, etc. Many of us didn't make it to dinner that first night. Not a fun feeling. But, as quickly as it started, it subsided. Now the second encounter I had with MOTION was 4 years later on the Jubilee, also sailing to the Mexican Riviera. This time it was on the last day and night coming back from Mexico. Ohhhhhhh, both my husband and I felt like literally curling up and dying, it felt so bad. All we could do is lay in our beds all day and night and moan or hit the bathroom with a round of nausea. Each time we lifted our heads, it felt like a case of the "whirlybird twirls". Just horrible! And, the worst thing, we had that "upgraded" cabin WAY up front and each time the ship pitched, it felt like we were being thrown against something. I honestly thought we were hitting something besides the water. Anyway, we definitely felt the motion on those two ships! Now on our Star Princess sailing to Mexico earlier this year, it was as smooth as glass going down and only a little movement coming back from Cabo. Very nice! Not sure if we just lucked out with smooth sailing or if the ship being larger, helped. I have heard people remark about the motion on the Star Princess with the repositioning cruise up the CA coast, though.
Old October 22nd, 2002, 03:59 PM
Familiar Face

Default Re: Re: Re: Norm...need your help AGAIN!

Thanks, you 2 for the great help about the decks and cabins. I swear Norm, I really did feel the motion in that aft cabin. My hubby did, too. I am hoping that going to the Mexican Riviera in Jan. isnt notorious for rough seas. I think I have some kind of inner ear situation that makes me sensative to feeling motion. My Ear Nose and Throat Dr. seems to think I might. As I mentioned, unfortunately it took me 6 weeks to get my equilibruim back after my last cruise in June. I am thinking it might have been the Transcope Patch more than the ship. I am the same way on amusement park rides. But I am going to go anyway on this trip because I am determinted to learn to deal with it because its such an awesome way to travel. I LOVE IT! :-)
Old October 23rd, 2002, 07:26 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Norm...need your help AGAIN!

Lindsay,

Of course, Tropicale and the Jubilee are much smaller vessels and thus are much more susceptible to wave action. Smaller vessel tend to fit between a wave and a trough, perhaps with only one or two waves in between, setting up non-uniform support that produces the rocking motion, whereas larger vessels tend to span several waves that provide more uniform support. Among naval ships, a heavy cruiser (20,000 tons or so) might roll 20 or 30 degrees in heavy seas whereas a roll of two or three degrees would be extreme for a modern aircraft carrier (100,000 tons).

Newer ships also have hydrodynamic stabilizers that counter the rolling forces, which older vessels like Tropicale and [i] Jubilee [/i[ probably lack.

I have also heard some passengers on some of the new vessels with stabilizers remark that they felt motion when there was a slight jerk as the hydrodynamic stabilizers kicked into action. This is far different from a continuous rocking or pitching that lasts for several days.

Norm.