Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 22nd, 2002, 04:14 PM
Frank

Default Returning from Papette

I am getting interested in an 18 day cruise from San Francisco to Papette, Tahiti in September, 2003. My only concern is the long flight back to SFO. I hate to end a beautiful cruise with a grueling flight and I'm sure we'd be flown to LAX and then to SFO making it more tiresome and lost luggage prone. Is there any other choice one might have in such a return?
Frank-in-CA
Sponsored Links
Old October 22nd, 2002, 09:48 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Returning from Papette

Frank,

Commercial service between the United States and Papeete is rather limited.

>> Air France offers three flights per week each way between Los Angeles to Papeete. The flights leave Los Angeles shortly after midnight and arrive in Papeete early in the morning. The return flights leave Papeete around 8:00 and arrive in Los Angeles in the afternoon on. Both flighs operate on Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday.

>> Air Tahiti Nui offers daily service between Los Angeles and Papeete, but the timing varies depending upon the day of the week.

Since you are going to San Fancisco, it would be reasonable to take the Air France flight and connect with a Delta flight from Los Angeles to San Francisco but you will have to stay over on Tahiti (I hear that the resorts there are pretty nice). This way, you would fly in the daytime with minimum disruption to your sleep schedule. The catch is that the flight leaves Papeete way too early for you to make it on the day of disembarkation.

Otherwise, you can take your chances on Princess's charters....

Good luck!

Norm.
Old October 23rd, 2002, 11:45 AM
Admiral

My daughter just returned from a land trip to Moorea and Bora Bora. She used a "day" room at a Sofitel resort in Pappeete prior to a red eye flight departure to LAX on Air Tahiti Nui. Arrived LAX around 11 am. Took an over the counter sleep aid and it worked wonderfully for her. She was happy with the Air Tahiti Nui service.
Old October 23rd, 2002, 09:42 PM
Passenger

Hawaiian Airlines ( I know...not great!) has flights between Papeete and Honolulu....not everyday tho. A day or two in Oahu ( Halekulani- Waikiki Parc!) in between your flight back to SF wouldn't be too bad- just to slowly ease your way back into civilization. I flew Hawaiian recently and was pleasantly surprised from my last experiences with them. The cruise sounds awesome. Have fun.
Old October 25th, 2002, 05:08 PM
Frank

Default Re: Re: Returning from Papette

Norm wrote:

> Since you are going to San Fancisco, it would be reasonable
> to take the Air France flight and connect with a Delta flight
> from Los Angeles to San Francisco but you will have to stay
> over on Tahiti (I hear that the resorts there are pretty nice).
> This way, you would fly in the daytime with minimum disruption
> to your sleep schedule. The catch is that the flight leaves
> Papeete way too early for you to make it on the day of
> disembarkation.
>
> Otherwise, you can take your chances on Princess's
> charters....
>
Norm:
Thanks. I do plan to spend a couple days on Papette at the end of the cruise so that's no problem. I'll see what Princess has to offer first.
Frank