Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 26th, 2002, 11:26 PM
Admiral

Default Coral Princess itinerary change for inaugural voyage

Checked Cruise Personalizer the other night and find that the December 14 inaugural cruise is NOT going to Cartagena and has substituted Ocho Rios. Would guess that anything before that date would also exclude Cartagena ... I know they did that on the April Crown Princess 15 day cruise San Diego to Fort Lauderdale trip.

I cruise the Emerald Princess, Eastern Caribbean on April 16, 2012
Sponsored Links
Old October 28th, 2002, 04:47 PM
Frank

Default Re: Coral Princess itinerary change for inaugural voyage

CruzNut wrote:

> Checked Cruise Personalizer the other night and find that the
> December 14 inaugural cruise is NOT going to Cartagena and has
> substituted Ocho Rios. Would guess that anything before that
> date would also exclude Cartagena ... I know they did that on
> the April Crown Princess 15 day cruise San Diego to Fort
> Lauderdale trip.
>
I wonder when they'll update all their itineraries? The last time I looked they still showed Caragena. We have a later cruise on the Coral. Anyone know anything about Ocho Rios? Is it worth getting off and seeing or would I still stay on the ship as I had planned to do with Cartagena?
Frank-in-CA
Old October 28th, 2002, 10:28 PM
Admiral

Talked to a rep at Princess tonight ... and they know less than you read on these boards. Nevertheless she was most unhappy about the merger.

Princess decided last March to cancel Cartagena because of the situation there and the warning from the US government ... had a feeling that that still held and the rep said it did and read the US warning which is in effect at least until year end..

As far as Ocho Rios, I was there in April but didn't get off. Don't like the long, long zig-zag walk to the pier and then you get badgered by the locals. However, heard later that the catamaran trip to Dunn's River Falls picked you up right where you dock so I've tentatively booked that trip and will find out more when I'm on board. The Jamaica ports have had warnings about high crime, so I'm not really interested in them ... and like you on my last visit to Cartagena I only got off briefly to be able to say I'd been there and walked the short distance to the customs shed, which was just a very small building. Got my souvenir on board from the locals who were allowed on to do their selling.

For what it's worth!.

Old October 29th, 2002, 01:59 PM
Passenger

They cancelled Sea Princess stop in Columbia in Oct. I was on ship. Frankly, I do not think any ships will be stopping there. Carnival now ownes Princess and Holland. Celeberity will not stop either. There are kidnappings going on big time. Even crew on Princess last year had to be accompained by at least one male. As far as Jamica, you will be O.K. on any ship excursion. Don't wear jewls or expensive watches. They are big and very agressive. The most agressive, worse than Hati.

Old October 29th, 2002, 07:11 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Coral Princess itinerary change for inaugural voyage

Frank,

Jamaica is beautiful -- but quite rugged. Jamaica's Blue Ridge, the island's spine, towers some 6,300 feet above sea level -- which is higher than Mount Washington.

Crime does not seem to be a major problem in the tourist areas, though obviously one should exercise normal precautions. About the only down side is that the clerks in the shops can be too helpful at times -- though they usually do back off if you say that you are just browsing -- and the taxi drivers are too eager to serve you.

If you have not been to Ocho Rios before, the tour called "Prospect Plantation and Dunn's River Falls" is an excellent choice. The plantation occupies essentially three sides of a coastal mountain, and the variation in altitude provides substantial climatological variation and thus supports an impressive variety of crops. The shore execursion includes a narrated ride around the plantation on a "jitney" drawn by a farm tractor with stops along the way where the guides will showcase the various crops grown there. Following a shopping stop at a local strip mall, you'll go to Dunn's River Falls where you may either climb the falls (with a guide, of course) or simply enjoy the beauty of the park. I highly recommend the climb (be sure to wear your swimsuit under your clothes and to bring a towel and a pair of surfwalkers for the climb). You can leave personal belongings on the tour vehicle, where they will be safe, curing the climb. The climb is quite refreshing and invigorating, not particularly difficult (there was a woman who did it at the age of 99 shortly before my last visit), and well-shaded by the surrounding woods.

Have a great cruise!

Norm.
Old October 29th, 2002, 07:14 PM
Admiral

Janie,

In and around Ocho Rios, you'll be safe as long as you stay in the tourist areas. The only real danger is if you go off the beaten path.

Norm.
Old November 1st, 2002, 08:58 AM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to Rod

I'll reiterate the previous posters comments. I did enjoy Dunn's River falls and even left with a couple nice souvenirs, BUT you should be prepared with stern determination. Vendors are SUPER agressive. The women will be bombarded with requests to "braid your hair, pretty lady?". One of them even grabbed my wife's hair as we walked by. I don't think they mean any harm, but they are so dire in their NEED to sell you their wares that they'll do anything to get your attention. If you do see something you want or like, be direct and decisive in your bartering. Walk away and do the "talk to the hand" bit if you can't reach a reasonable agreement. There will be many other vendors selling the same item(s) elsewhere. Just imagine your worst car salesman experience and multiply it by 10 and you'll get the idea. I saw one fellow PAX with this 5' tall hand carved (and nicely painted) coat rack looking thing where each of the "hooks" was immaculately carved into the shape of parrots. Must have taken weeks to make. He paid $10 for it. It can be kind of fun if you approach it with the attitude that you've got nothing to lose.

Sea Princess - Southern Caribbean Explorer
Old November 2nd, 2002, 12:51 AM
Admiral

Okay, Rod ... what does "talk to the hand" mean? Is that a kind of wave them away ... or what? And, what were your nice souvenirs? Didn't realize that there was that much high pressure stuff at Dunn's River Falls.

By the way, do you know if the catamaran trip from the ship actually starts at the ship ... and not after the loooong zig-zag walk to the pier?

Thanks.