Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 28th, 2002, 08:42 PM
Nini

Default Carnival crew?

Does anyone have any knowledge of whether or not the crews of Princes and Carnival will now be merged, or if they too will remain separate?

I've made many friends over the years and enjoy running into these people when I return and often plan cruises around where some of them are. If this changes, I too will switch to RCL.

I still haven't gotten over Sitmar disappearing.. now this!
Sponsored Links
Old October 29th, 2002, 12:24 AM
Carole Dunham

Default Re: Carnival crew?

Carnival has always kept the management of it's different cruiselines separate. I don't imagine you could swap a Carnival crewperson with a Sea Goddess crew peerson. Carnival is much smarter about managing the cruiselines it owns than RCI. I think you can continue to sail Princess as you have in the past.

Carole
Old October 29th, 2002, 05:26 PM
Nini

Default Re: Re: Carnival crew?

good to hear..
Thanks!
Old October 29th, 2002, 07:42 PM
Admiral

Nini,

The change will happen pretty slowly, but certain functions (ship scheduling and maintenance, supply, etc.) will get centralized over time. IF this merger happens (the shareholders of P&O Princess Cruises Plc. still have not approved it), I probably will seek another cruise line -- with Celebrity Cruises and Royal Caribbean International being the top two candidates. I also will be liquidating my shares of P&O Princess Cruises Plc. (LSE: POC) as soon as its opportune to do so if the shareholders vote to approve the proposed merger.

The unfortunate reality is that Carnival Corporation will represent about 75% of the combined company, and thus will have effective control. Carnival Corporation has an abysmal record of safety, including many recent incidents of major fires at sea, ships losing propulsion (which is a lot more dangerous than it sounds), and other serious incidents. That company's namesake line also amassed over five hundred complaints of sexual assaults on passengers by members of its crews in a five-year period -- an average of about two such incidents per week -- that apparently received little action from the company until the FBI launched an inquiry. Carnival Corporation also has an abysmal record of failure to respond in a reasonable fashion to legitimate complaints from passengers across all of the company's lines. I frankly do not want anything to do with a company that has so little regard for safety and for passenger satisfaction, either as an investor or as a passenger on any of the company's ships.

In a nutshell, I'm not cancelling the cruises that I have booked (through March) as it will take a while to implement the merger after shareholders approve it, but I also am not booking any new cruises with Princess unless and until shareholders reject the proposed merger.

Norm.
Old October 29th, 2002, 08:15 PM
Nini

Default Re: Re: Carnival crew?

Norm.. I agree with your sentiments completely.

I have heard Celebrity is under Carnival too.. is this true?

thanks

gina
Old October 29th, 2002, 08:19 PM
Nini

Default Re: Re: Re: Carnival crew?

Never mind.. I see Celebrity is under RCL hmmmm
Maybe it's time to jump lines as I've heard many good things about Celebrity.
Old October 30th, 2002, 07:23 PM
Cruise Maniac

I too miss Sitmar.
I will no longer be sailing with Princess if they become Carnival. Perhaps if I was in my early 20s, it would be a different story.
I sincerely hope that Carnival will look at the demographics of the Princess past passengers.
We have a cruise scheduled in February that may be our last Princess cruise.
Old October 30th, 2002, 10:43 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Carnival crew?

Nini,

Maybe it's time to jump lines as I've heard many good things about Celebrity.

It's up to you, but I probably wil try both Celebrity Cruises and Royal Caribbean International. I'm a bit "turned off" by the membership fee for Celebrity's club for repeat passengers, though.

Norm.
Old October 31st, 2002, 11:21 AM
Nini

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Carnival crew?

Membership fee? You're kidding me right?

you'd think the thousands of dollars you spend to come back would be enough.

WOW
Old October 31st, 2002, 06:35 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Carnival crew?

Nini,

No, I'm not kidding. Celebrity Cruises charges a one-time fee (I think it's about $35 now) to join their repeat passengers' club.

I'm really surprised that Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. has not merged the repeat passenges' clubs of the company's two lines, Celebrity Cruises and Royal Caribbean Intenational, into one club that would award perks based upon one's prior cruises with both lines. Of course, the membership fee for Celebrity's club just might be the reason why a merger of the two clubs has not taken place....

Norm.
Old October 31st, 2002, 07:27 PM
Frank

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Carnival crew?

Norm wrote:

> Nini,
>
> No, I'm not kidding. Celebrity Cruises charges a one-time
> fee (I think it's about $35 now) to join their repeat
> passengers' club.

Norm:
You are absolutely correct. They do charge this one time $35 fee and I agree, it is stupid and sends the wrong message to repeat guests. But being a one time fee, people don't seem to mind as much. It is easily recouped by being invited to special events on board and having the wine tasting free as opposed to paying $8/pp. Many feel that the early embarkation and debarkation alone are worth it. Yes, I sucumbed and paid my dues.
Frank