Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 28th, 2002, 10:24 PM
Admiral

Default Required Tipping

I just read on the Princess web site that tipping is no longer an option. As of January of this year, passengers are automatically billed $10.00 per person per day for the room steward and waiter. We are booked on a June 9th trip to Alaska for 11 nights which I guess equates to $240.00 for a couple. They are still charging for bar tabs @ 15%.

What are your thoughts on this? Princess says that if you disagree with the service you may contact the purser's desk for a reduction. You can also add to it if you wish. Personally I think that a required amount is not a tip, it is another fee.
Sponsored Links
Old October 29th, 2002, 12:52 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Y2C
Default Re: Required Tipping

Hi Cindy,
Here is an item I posted about Princess auto tipping that may help. The other responses may also assist you in knowing about the tip procedure.

http://cruise-forums.com/forums/read...=42938&t=42938

Post Edited (10-29-02 00:54)

Old October 29th, 2002, 07:34 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Required Tipping

Thanks for the information.
Old October 29th, 2002, 08:40 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: Required Tipping

You will not be disappointed with the Princess Help. If you get the waither from HELL
just go to head waiter and simply ask for annother table. The cabin stewards are always there. Just fantastic. The water is always hot for shower. You can climate control your cabin with perfection. It is a very efficient cruise line. THe British really know how to cater to class.

Old October 29th, 2002, 10:17 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Required Tipping

Trust me, the service that is provided is outstanding. I have no problem with Princess' policy. I experienced this on the Golden Princess last November, when it was an option, and I loved it. The staff is wonderful and they deserve to be tipped.

Enjoy your cruise.
Old October 29th, 2002, 03:35 PM
Admiral

Well... consider that many sailings on most lines average about an 18% "stiff"rate... you know... the couples who don't turn up for dinner on the late night (we're just too stuffed from all the food)... and ever wonder why you see those folks sitting up in the buffet area sipping coffee at 7:30am with their hand luggage at their side? In many cases they have left their cabin before the cabin attendant comes on duty... again, to avoid the tip. It is a very real problem. I find the pre-paid tips to be a delight. The staff on the ship love it because they know they won't be stiffed. The guest doesn't have to fuss about getting change, counting out the tip money and so forth. And... you always have the option of reducing or eliminating a tip where you feel you don't want to give one or to add to it for those who have done an especially good job. It is sort of the best of both worlds as far as I can see.
Old October 29th, 2002, 06:27 PM
Admiral

Cindy,

You have the option of adjusting the automatic graduity either upward or downward simply by stopping by the purser's desk and asking any member of the purser's staff to do so. If you prefer to tip in person, you can simply ask the purser's staff to remove the automatic gratuities from your account.

When the policy first changed, I asked the purser's staff to remove the automatic gratuity from my account and tipped my waitstaff and my cabin steward in person. Nonetheless, I have found that the automatic gratuity is much easier as there's no need to worry about having the right combination of bills to put into tip envelopes at the end of the cruise and no need to find my cabin steward when I vacate my cabin.

Have a great cruise!

Norm.
Old October 29th, 2002, 06:27 PM
Frank

ErnieMCC wrote:

> It is sort of the best of both worlds as far as I can see.

Ernie:
If this is going to be the way Princess will be operating then they should just increase the fares and state that the gratuity is included as they do on Radisson. Not the HAL way of saying tipping is not required that ends up stiffing the hard working folks.

I wonder if this will change when they become Carn Evil (Carnival)?
Frank-in-CA
Old October 31st, 2002, 02:13 AM
Frank

Norm wrote:

> When the policy first changed, I asked the purser's staff to
> remove the automatic gratuity from my account and tipped my
> waitstaff and my cabin steward in person. Nonetheless, I have
> found that the automatic gratuity is much easier as there's no
> need to worry about having the right combination of bills to
> put into tip envelopes at the end of the cruise and no need to
> find my cabin steward when I vacate my cabin.
>

Norm:
I've never had to "find" anyone on tip night. (G)
Frank-in-CA
Old October 31st, 2002, 07:55 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Required Tipping

Frank... 2 comments... 1... it is quite different from RSSC. Adding the gratuity into the fare does in fact mean you have no choice... and I don't agree with that, and that is not the policy on Princess... 2... HAL's policy is confusing to many first time passengers with them and I've agrued for years that it should be dropped... it is NOT, as you know, a "no tipping" policy. It is a "no tipping REQUIRED" policy, which basically means that they do not distribute envelopes to the cabins for tips, they do not print recommended tip amounts and, most annoying to me of all, they do not add a gratuity to drinks purchased on board. Yet tips are very much expected and given by most passengers on HAL.

We always make sure to tell a first time HAL guest exactly what the policy is. We are amazed at how frequently we hear a misunderstanding of it.

Post Edited (10-31-02 07:57)
Old October 31st, 2002, 09:15 AM
Cruise Maniac

Ernie,

I'm sure you realize that you are making a broad and inaccurate generalization when you say that the people sipping coffee at the buffet early on debarkation day are stiffing their cabin steward.

Warren <-- early coffee sipper and pretty good tipper
Old October 31st, 2002, 11:06 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Required Tipping

Thank you so much for that explanation. It is truly appreciated.
Old October 31st, 2002, 11:10 AM
Passenger

Oh come on now, let's not go there. Please.
Old November 1st, 2002, 09:26 AM
Cruise Maniac

Victor,

Which post are you referencing when you say:
"Oh come on now, let's not go there. Please."

If it is mine, I'll elaborate. There's a tendency for people to jump to conclusions based on what they think they are seeing. I've had early flights, early immigration, and various other reasons for being out on deck early and ready to go. Based on what Ernie said, if he saw me up on deck that early with my carryon, he'd say I had stiffed the cabin steward out of a tip.

"ever wonder why you see those folks sitting up in the buffet area sipping coffee at 7:30am with their hand luggage at their side? In many cases they have left their cabin before the cabin attendant comes on duty... again, to avoid the tip."

I'm pointing out that this isn't necessarily true, and often wrong.

The same thing happens when people see other passengers filling out forms on embarkation day. The assumption is that they didn't pay attention when they received their docs in the mail and should have them filled out already. Personal experience has shown otherwise. There have been times when I booked so close to sailing that I didn't get my tickets or forms until arriving at the terminal. Someone seeing me fill out the forms would be tempted to assume that I was inconsiderate for not filling the forms out at home and holding up the line.

Warren