Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 31st, 2002, 09:57 PM
Roger Dodger

Default Star Princess, Grand and Golden - is there a difference?

We are going on the Star Princess next Feb. Is there any difference in the Grand or Golden - in service, foods, entertainment, etc.

Thanks, Roger Dodger
Sponsored Links
Old November 1st, 2002, 07:46 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Star Princess, Grand and Golden - is there a difference?

Hi Rober,
Here is a link to a recent "Star Princess" review from an Alaska cruise:

http://www.cruisemates.com/articles/...ess/star11.cfm

Just remember, everyone has a different prospective of their cruises, what may be a problem to one person, isn't to someone else. I've enjoyed my Princess cruises, found the food, service and entertainment to be very close, just different lay-outs of the ships and decor. Have fun!

Message Boards Moderator
Old November 1st, 2002, 01:31 PM
Admiral

Roger,

I have sailed on the Grand Princess 4 times (#5 is Thanksgiving), the Star Princess this past August and the Golden Princess last week.

They are the same basic layout, the differences I noted are:

1) Spa area, much nicer and expanded. The sauna/steam rooms are in a separate changing area, not out by the swim against the current pool.

2) The childrens area has been moved to the aft area where the virtual reality area is on the Grand, they had a great under 18 disco and the kids seemed to utilize it!

3) Limelight studio (Grand) has been replaced by the Wedding Chapel (Star).

4) Wedding Chapel (Grand) is now the Internet Cafe (Star).

5) Skywalkers on the Star is now one level, not the raised stage effects like on the Grand, but it is still aft deck 17.
Old November 1st, 2002, 07:02 PM
Admiral

Roger,

Princess made the changes that "CruiseAholic" noted, and a few less obvious changes such as a reconfiguration of the stairways and the shops in the atrium area, in an attempt to solve some of the problems that surfaced aboard MV Grand Princess after she entered service. Unfortunately, some of the other problems (like the three flights or so of stairs that one must ascend and descend to go around the bow when walking laps on the Promenade Deck and the lack of "gathering space" outside of the aft dining room) were beyond correction because they were too embedded in the vessel's design and construction had already started.

Norm.
Old November 1st, 2002, 11:06 PM
Passenger

Send a message via MSN to ironpecs
Default Re: Re: Star Princess, Grand and Golden - is there a differe

The spa is much nicer on the Star than on the Grand, I really enjoyed being able to totaly relax nude in the steamroom on the Star vs in a bathing suite on the Grand due to it being unisex. If you have any other questions please email me.

Mike

ironpecs@hotmail.com