Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 4th, 2002, 09:30 AM
PBP

Default Mexican Riviera - Star Princess

I am booked on the Star in late January and have been hearing many disappointing reports regarding the damage to the ports from the recent hurricane, particularly Mazatlan and Puerto Vallarta. My final payment is due Nov. 11 and I am trying to decide whether to stay on the Star or change to something else in the Caribbean. Any direct knowledge of these ports or any suggestions or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
PBP
Sponsored Links
Old November 4th, 2002, 08:58 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Mexican Riviera - Star Princess

PBP,

All indicatoins are that ports of call on the Mexican Riviera are contuning normally. The waters around Puerto Valarta, Cabo San Lucas, and Mazatlan might be a bit cloudy right now, affecting snorkeling, but they should be settled by January.

That said, I think you would do better to opt for the ten-day "Mexican Riviera" cruise of 15 January aboard MV Sun Princess instead. The ship is has a vastly superior layout (even though you would never guess that to be the case from Princess's literature) and you'll have three extra days with two extra ports of call (Zihuatanejo/Ixtapa and Acapulco) for little added cost.

Norm.
Old November 5th, 2002, 05:00 PM
Barbara Nuevo

Default Re: Mexican Riviera - Star Princess

Well if I had a choice between the Mexican Riviera and the Caribbean. I would take the Caribbean anyday. The ports in Mexico are nothing to die for. I booked the Star for the Caribeean for April 5. I had originally booked it for Mexico but after seeing pictures of the damages to the ports I figured even more reason to not go. The ship is awesome! I sailed her on the repositioning cruise in May to Canada. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to email me.

binuevo@aol.com
Old November 28th, 2002, 11:28 AM
Laine Wightman

Default Re: Re: Mexican Riviera - Star Princess

I just booked the Star for 7 Day Mexico with a departure of April 5th. If you booked the Star for April 5th in the Caribbean, one of us is going to be very surprised.....................do you think we have a problem?
Old November 29th, 2002, 03:49 PM
Admiral

Barbara,

(In reference to MV Star Princess) The ship is awesome!

Ah, have you been on a cruise aboard MV Sun Princess, MV Dawn Princess, MV [/i] Sea Princess[/i], or MV Ocean Princess? Most folks who have been aboard any of these vessels seem to feel that MV Grand Princess, MV Golden Princess, and MV Star Princess fall short for reasons that we have discussed in many earlier threads....

Norm.
Old November 29th, 2002, 05:07 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: Mexican Riviera - Star Princess

Our first ever cruise was last November on the Sea Princess to Mexico. Our second cruise ever was last week on the Star Princess, again to Mexico and the same 7-day itinerary.

I know that Norm has made many posts expressing his displeasure with the design of the Grand Class ships, so I was a little concerned that I would be disappointed with the latter cruise. I didnít make a point to list all of his concerns and check them out while on board. We just went to have a good time.

Now having sailed of both Sun and Grand Class ships, I can say that we enjoyed the Star more. Whatever Normís concerns are, nothing jumped out at us as being significantly different until the Champaign Waterfall on Thursday night when we realized that the atrium is smaller and covers three decks rather than four. This was hardly anything that spoiled our trip.

If you are booked on the Star, go and have a good time. Unless you are an experienced cruiser like Norm, looking specifically for design details, I doubt if you will even notice the layout of the ship. For those of you for whom such design features are important, Iím sure Normís concerns are well taken.

Jim
Old December 11th, 2002, 12:04 AM
Passenger

We were on the Star Princess this past Spring on a 7 night cruise to Mexico and it was a gorgeous ship, but now we're trying a 10 night sailing on the Sun with the added two ports. I'm looking forward to experience this class of ship, even though nothing can top those beautiful pools on the Star Princess. Well, my daughter would like a big water slide. Anyway, we're excited for our April 15th cruise on the Sun Princess.

Norm wrote:

> That said, I think you would do better to opt for the ten-day
> "Mexican Riviera" cruise of 15 January aboard MV Sun
> Princess
instead. The ship is has a vastly superior
> layout (even though you would never guess that to be the case
> from Princess's literature) and you'll have three extra days
> with two extra ports of call (Zihuatanejo/Ixtapa and Acapulco)
> for little added cost.
>
> Norm.