Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 5th, 2002, 06:44 PM
Hugger

Default Room Service Gratuity and Dining staff

I thought I totally understood the gratuity policy on Princess until I read the Cruise Answer Book tonight. From what I understand the gratuity for room service is included in the automatic tipping policy.
I guess if you aren't going to the dining room to have several of your meals ie - breakfast everyday on your balcony - maybe a dinner or a couple of lunches enjoyed in the privacy of your room/balcony -
1. Do you deduct this tip from the automatic charge on your account?
2. Do you not tip the person who delliver's your meal's?
3. Do you do both - leave the charge to your account the same and tip the room service staff?

I don't want to stiff anyone - however, this is different than we have experienced in the past. I like the automatic tipping - just not sure how it is divided up after reading the Cruise Answer Book. It appear's that if we give extra tips to people that they are REQUIRED to put it in the pool???
We noramlly like to give the room steward a twenty dollar tip at the beginning of the cruise to "take care" of us. In addition to the tip at the end of the sailing. Is he/she not going to get to keep this?

What are your thoughts and/or experiences with Princess.
Thanking you all in advance for your help.

One other thing that I read is that many people take the room steward or special staff little gifts - like homemade brownies were said to be a favorite, or AT & T calling cards for them to call home. I wonder if people are giving these gifts in lieu of the extra tip as there is no way that they can be required to "pool" this type of tip???? Any thoughts
would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Old November 5th, 2002, 07:08 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Room Service Gratuity and Dining staff

Hugger,
I understand the auto tipping to include the cabin attendant, dining room waiter and bus-boy. If you order room-service I believe a tip is in order that has nothing to do with the automatic tipping, at least thats the way I understand it. So, depending on what kind of meals you are ording through room-service, I'd tip the person who brings it.

Message Boards Moderator
Old November 6th, 2002, 12:24 PM
Jackie O

Default Re: Room Service Gratuity and Dining staff

Hi there

Just got back from a Princess cruise (Panama Canal - Great time!). We too were a bit confused on the auto tipping. So we asked our waiter. Apparently, if you deduct from the auto tipping and give out individual payments then the staff are required to put this into the central pot. BUT if you keep the auto tipping as it is and give additional payments to anyone you thought was over and above then they can keep this. Although not happy with this system not sure what we as passengers can do.