Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 8th, 2002, 03:04 PM
Passenger

Default Communication?

Will be leaving in a week on the Golden. My questions are about communication.

First off, if loved ones need to get in contact with you they can call the 1-900 number and give the name and cabin number to reach us? Is this correct?

As far as staying in touch by e-mail...how much is the fee for this on the boat?

I am to believe you cannot call loved ones from the boat... is this correct?

Is it possible to call from a port? We will be going to St. Thomas and St. Maartin. Can you use a phone card there?

I hope these are not stupid questions, but we will be leaving our kids at home and my daughter will go crazy if she doesn't at least here from us once.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old November 8th, 2002, 03:41 PM
tonidee

Default Re: Communication?

We are on the star princess right now....phone calls are $195 a minute for this ship on this cruise. The internet charge is $.50 a minute. There will be a number that you get with your tickets, giving you the number of your ship and how to get in reach with your ship. Hope this answers a couple of your questions.
Old November 8th, 2002, 03:43 PM
tonidee

oops! The phone is $1.95 a minute not $195 a minute!
Old November 8th, 2002, 06:33 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Communication?

So you are able to make calls from the ship? Where do you do this?

And I thought I saw in the info book where it says that your ticket packet should have the ship ID #'s and such to use for others to get in contact with you. Well, maybe I'm not looking in the right place but I cannot find any ship #'s in my ticket packet.
Old November 8th, 2002, 08:26 PM
tonidee

Default Re: Re: Re: Communication?

Yes, you can call from the ship. You have phones in your room and can dial directly from there. Also there will be information as to how to let others know how to get in touch with you from home. The ship ID# may have been with the preinformation packet, but your travel agent may have it as well.
Old November 8th, 2002, 09:42 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Unless they have DRASTICALLY changed their price structure, I suspect the $1.95/minute for caling from your cabin to be wrong.
Most ships charge from $8.50 to $9.50 per minute.

- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old November 8th, 2002, 11:35 PM
tonidee

I agree about the $8.50 a minute charge, but for some reason, this cruise on the Star is $1.95 a minute....I have already gotten a print out and it is the amount they charged. It may be a one time thing, but it was great for this cruise!!
Old November 9th, 2002, 10:04 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: Communication?

Maybe that's why I didn't think there were phones in your cabin, I probably saw that it cost almost $9 a min. and figured that wasn't an option!

Still, can anyone tell me about calling from a port? If you can use a pre-paid phone card?
Old November 9th, 2002, 12:40 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Communication?

I just got off the golden last week. Yes, the charge is $1.95 a minute and you call directly from your cabin phone. My sister called her daughter.

The charge for the internet cafe (email) depends on how long you stay logged on. The most I was charged in any one sitting was $9.50 and I was probably on for about 20 minutes.

You can use calling phone cards in port. I cannot say personally how that worked but I did see people doing it. I also check the phone card we purchased beforehand to make sure we could use it in the caribbean.

For your family to contact you while on board: 1 900 CALL-SHIP. Call letters for the Golden is: ZCDA9, ID# 331034410. This info. is located in your Cruise Answer book, page 9.

Have a great time.
Old November 9th, 2002, 08:10 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Communication?

Thanks Judee for answering all my questions.
Old November 17th, 2002, 06:16 PM
Yeoman

A friend of mine called her boy friend from the ship several times, and her bill was $1,500.00.
Old November 18th, 2002, 07:54 AM
Passenger

The best way to call from port is with a Sam's AT&T phone card. They work throughout the Carribean. They are 3.47 cents per minute plus a small, yes small connection charge for the pay phone. They are of course good anywhere in the US as well. In fact we do not have long distance service on our phone and use the Sam's card exclusively.

People calling the ship will be required to pay a fee also. Some lines use 900 numbers, others callers are asked for a credit card number. If I recall Celebrity was $8.95 just to leave a message.

WARNING!!!! You will find many locals around pay phones in the Carribean near the ships. They are there for a reason. They attempt to watch people using phone cards or any type and get the numbers. Be very careful!!!!! Best thing is get away from the ship and use a phone elsewhere. P.S. Another nice thing about the pre-paid Sam's card---you can't lose any more than you have left on the card. If you use a phone credit card and they get the number, big $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.
Old November 18th, 2002, 07:04 PM
Harold Howard

I called the Star Princess recently and the bill was $8.95 per minute. The number was
1 900 Call Ship. The one minute calls that did not go through were also billed, but I
called and I should get credit.
Old November 18th, 2002, 09:32 PM
susancruzs

Harold, you should get the credit. My sister called me last year on the Royal Princess (on 9/11 when everyone was trying to call) it took her 3 tries but she finally got through to me and her phone company did adjust the bill for her.

Susie