Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 13th, 2002, 08:19 PM
Passenger

Default Coral, Island, Dawn or Sea Princess

This will be our first cruise in many years..maybe20..we are planning a July 2003 Alaska cruise...anyone have any suggestions about which of these 4 ships would be better? Hate booking on the Island or Coral without knowing anything about them since they haven't started cruising yet. Thanks, in advance, for the info....also....any suggestions on where in the ship to book...we want a balcony.
Sponsored Links
Old November 13th, 2002, 08:26 PM
Lillian Rodriguez

Default Re: Coral, Island, Dawn or Sea Princess

I will go on my first cruise on Princess on November 30 and I hope to have a good cruise. I've been on Celebrity Cruises 2 times and they are fabulous. Maybe you look up this cruise line before selecting Princess.

Lillian
Old November 14th, 2002, 10:48 AM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to Rod

You can forget about Sea Princess for July '03. She's being transferred to P&O in April. However, Sea & Dawn are sister ships, so it's not like one is different from the other. As for Dawn, she is in the Sun class of Princess ships............still a large ship with about 2000 passengers but not as large as the Grand Class ships like Grand or Golden. Many frequent Princess cruisers actually prefer the size and design of the Sun class ships. It was through research much like you are doing that I found about the mini-suites aboard these ships, stated by many as the "best in the business". Consequently, I chose a mini for my March sailing of the Sea Princess to the southern caribbean. Can't help you much with the other ships. Hope this helps.

Sea Princess - Southern Caribbean Explorer
Old November 14th, 2002, 01:26 PM
Blackrobe

Default Re: Re: Coral, Island, Dawn or Sea Princess

We took the Sea Princess from Alaska and she was a wonderful ship. As the previous poster stated she will not be available but her sister ships will be. These Sun class ships are my personal favorites having been on the Sea twice, RCI ships three times and once on HAL's Statendam. The new Princess class of Panamax ships which I believe the Coral and Island belong to are only slightly larger than the Sun class ships. Of course no one has sailed on them to give you a first hand account. I guess it boils down to whether to take a tried and true product like the Dawn Princess or go for the new model and book the Island or Coral
Old November 16th, 2002, 03:45 PM
Carole Dunham

Default Re: Re: Re: Coral, Island, Dawn or Sea Princess

The new Coral and Island Princess sound like they will be fabulous ships. They will be a size between Grand class and Sun class ships. Still, I think I would book the Dawn Princess. I think it takes at least a year before a crew works in harmony with a ship. It isn't so bad if crew is transferred between ships of the same class, like Grand to Golden, but Coral and Island will be a brand new class of ship. I've sailed Ocean Princess, another Sun class ship and I really liked it.

Carole
Old November 19th, 2002, 05:07 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Re: Coral, Island, Dawn or Sea Princess

I have been on the Dawn three times. On our last cruise, it appeared she was getting a little "shabby". The cusions on our couch were stained as well as the deck cushions. I would go for a newer ship. The Dawn is beautiful, she does needs a little face lift.
Old November 20th, 2002, 09:16 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Coral, Island, Dawn or Sea Princess

We sailed on the Sea Princess 2years ago , and loved everything about her. She is a larger ship but with a small ship feel. Just right, the atrium with the glass stairs is beautiful. We had a balcony cabin midships on the Caribe deck and it was great, nice size, lots of shelves in the closet, plenty of storage room, fridge, a small desk. The bathroom size was fine. Hope this helps some
Old November 20th, 2002, 07:42 PM
Admiral

bonvoyage,

I'm not persuaded that it really matters, so long as you avoid the cabins near the children's center aboard MV Coral Princess and MV Island Princess. These cabins might be a bit noisy.

MV Sun Princess and MV Dawn Princess are magnificent ships. MV Coral Princess and MV Island Princess are slightly larger, but they have about the same capacity. The extra space goes to two "sucker" restaurants -- Sabatini's Trattoria (expected surcharge: $15) and the Bayou Cafe (expected surcharge: unknown), which apparently will feature Cajun cuisine. The two new ships also have a pool that's under a retractable dome, so you should be able to use it even in Alaska's cooler weather. Of course, the new vessels could produce a "surprise" or two....

BTW, I recommend taking the "Voyage of the Glaciers" cruise NORTHBOUND as the scenery becomes more spectacular along the way. Also, be sure to have your travel agent book the "Grandview Rail Transfer" from Seward to Anchorage (you'll need a return flight after 2:00 PM).

Norm.
Old November 20th, 2002, 08:59 PM
Yeoman

We sailed on the Sea Princess last March and loved the ship. We received an upgrade to a balcony cabin midship on the Baja deck. Although the rooms appeared to be the same size, the balconies on the Baja deck definitly appeared to be larger than on the Caribe deck.

We sail again on the Sea Princess in March. We shall see if the upgrade fairy strikes again.
Old November 21st, 2002, 08:47 PM
Tom W

Just a quick note, I don't think the Sea will be around afetr April of 2003. She is being refitted and renamed and sent to England and a different branch of P & O. We did the Sea on her Inaugral and it was great. Sorry and sad to see here leave.