Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 5th, 2002, 10:47 AM
Admiral

Default Dress Code on the Golden

now that Princess has gotten away from Semi-Formal and into Formal and Resort Casual, have the formal nights become really formal? meaning tuxes and gowns?? We are going Feb 04 and taking our son who will be 17-1/2 yrs old. Do you think that i should spend the $$$ and get him a suit or go for a tux rental??? He likes to look nice. I was thinking that it might be cool if we could get the other family we are traveling with to do the same, making 4 guys in tuxedo's.
Sponsored Links
Old December 5th, 2002, 05:02 PM
Carole Dunham

Default Re: Dress Code on the Golden

There will be both suits and tuxes on formal nights. See what your son wants to do. Tux rental is so easy since you don't have to pack anything except your undeerwear. If he really likes to look nice, He should seriously consider it.

Carole
Old December 6th, 2002, 09:11 AM
PBP

Default Re: Re: Dress Code on the Golden

Lisa and Carole,
I am scheduled on the Star in January and have not sailed with Princess in over two years. I did not know that they have changed their dress codes. So now it's either resort/dressy casual or formal only? My friend and I have chosen Personal Choice Dining this time, which is a real departure for us. However, regardless which dining option you choose, the dress code for the evening doesn't change, does it?
Thanks,
PBP
Old December 6th, 2002, 09:45 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Re: Re: Dress Code on the Golden

Hi PBP,
Nope, with either traditional dining or the Personal Choice dining, the dress code is the same. I found it kind of nice to just have the 2 "formal" nights and then the rest resort casual, enjoy!

Message Boards Moderator
Old December 10th, 2002, 05:18 PM
Admiral

Lisa,

The formal nights have always been FORMAL on Princess -- meaning that gentlemen are expected to wear either "black tie" (tuxedos or dinner jackets) or dark -- and I do mean DARK -- business suits and ladies wear either either gowns or formal cocktail dresses.

Actually, your best bet might be to see what kind of deal you can get on a used tuxedo or a used "dinner jacket" outfit for your son. He has a high school prom coming up, for which he also will need a tuxedo. If you hit a tuxedo rental shop at the right time, you probably will be able to buy an outfit that they have been renting for about the price of two rentals.

In the past, there were semiformal evenings as well as formal evenings -- but they came from an era when people dressed that way to go to nice restaurants at home. Recognizing that nice restaurants no longer require semiformal attire, Princess has dropped the changed the evenings that would have been semiformal in the past to "smart casual" -- which really means exactly what "casual" did before, if you read the "suggested" attire for those evenings. The change in wording (from "casual" to "smart casual") seems to be discouraging the jeans and T shirts that some folks were wearing on casual nights, even though it was not within the "guidelines" of "suggested" attire.

Norm.
Old December 10th, 2002, 11:52 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

If the boys want to go all out, definitely go for it. I'm sure they'll look terrific.

Suits will do fine as well. As much as Norm might wish it to be so, sometimes Princess isn't all that FORMAL <G> We saw all sorts of clothing on formal nights just recently on the Golden Princess.... right down to people in Aloha shirts in the dining room.

Regards,
Kuki

- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old December 11th, 2002, 07:12 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Dress Code on the Golden

Kuki,

We saw all sorts of clothing on formal nights just recently on the Golden Princess.... right down to people in Aloha shirts in the dining room.

The "suggested" dress for formal nights is FORMAL. Enforcement obviously continues to be a problem....

Norm.
Old December 20th, 2002, 04:46 PM
Heidilsing

Default Re: Re: Re: Dress Code on the Golden

Agreed Norm,

Just got back from the Golden and most were in suits. Many were in Tuxes, and some were classless enough to come in floral shirts or dressed down.

They did however stick out like a sore thumb. To each his own is true! If you simply don't want to get dressed up, DON'T. However, I would suggest you find alternative places to dine that evening as YOU will feel and certainly look out of place.

Heidi