Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 12th, 2002, 02:52 PM
Beginner

Default Jogging on Promenade?

Cruising on the Grand this Feb. and would like to know if it is OK to jog on the promenade deck in the morning or is it only allowed on the jogging track on the sport deck.

Sailed on the Sea last year and they had jogging until 10:00 am on the prom.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old December 12th, 2002, 03:17 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Jogging on Promenade?

Steve,

AFAIK, there's no prohibition of jogging on the Promenade Deck aboard MV Grand Princess.

That said, MV Grand Princess has the equivalent of about three flights of stairs connecting the port and starboard promenades to the "Promenade Deck Upper Level" (shown at the forward end of the Emerald Deck in the brochures), which is the only unobstructed connection between the two promenades at the bow. Many walkers complain that the stairs force them to break stride, and I suspect that the "breaking stride" issue would be even worse for joggers.

The stairs are less than obvious in the deck plans, at least to me, but you'll see them if you look at the detail inboard of the bow of second boat on each side of the Emerald Deck, where there's a standard stairway, and at the forward ends of the catwalks that wrap around the balconies of the category BE and BF cabins located forward on the Emerald Deck, where there are several spiral stairs (the catwalks are a few feet below the level of the balconies and the wrap-around part of the Upper Promenade Deck).

Norm.
Old December 12th, 2002, 10:25 PM
People Person

I wanted to run on the Promenade on Golden Princess, and as far as I could tell it wasn't prohibited. But to be honest, I didn't feel comfortable doing it. Golden's promenade is relatively narrow, and it seemed like I might be annoying those who were strolling. I felt like the stairs wouldn't be an issue, but I wouldn't call myself so much a "jogger" as just someone who enjoys a little run now and then. I watched all week to see if anyone *did* use the promenade for running, and I only saw one couple do it on one occasion.
Old December 13th, 2002, 01:23 PM
Beginner

Default Re: Re: Jogging on Promenade?

Thanks for the reply People Person
Strollers can be hard to run with, guess I'll bring an air horn to get them out of the way!
I'm like you, I mainly like to run on ships and beaches.

Old December 13th, 2002, 06:57 PM
First Mate

Steve... Norm has detailed it pretty well. I am a runner and ran 3 miles everyday on the Grand. The stairs are definitely an issue running on the Promenade Deck, as well people coming in and out of doors, strolling along or simply standing at the rail. The Grand has an excellent 1/10 mile running track on the Sports Deck at the front of the ship. The special track material supplies superb traction even when wet, which is important with the sharp corners. Since it is on the Sports Deck, you can run at anytime without disturbing passengers in their staterooms which could happen on the Promenade Deck. There was usually a nice group of runners/joggers/walkers there every morning when I went running about 6:30 AM. What a fantastic way to exercise and watch the sunrise at the same time!!

I will caution you... do not make the mistake I did and eat one of these before your run like I did several days. <grins>

Regal Princess - 1996; Star Princess - 1995
Old December 17th, 2002, 07:46 PM
Harold Howard

Jogging is not a good idea. I am a very fast walker and had fun on the Promenade
Deck on the Star Princess the first week of September. I had to watch very carefully
for people but it was not a real problem. Wet spots on the surface was the big problem
as I could not hit them and get good traction. 10 laps took around 50 minutes. I actually
was able to lap a slower walker. The view is super from the Promenade Deck. The
Sports path was small but had a passing lane which I used a lot. The traction was very
good, even when wet. Not many joggers on the cruise, many more walkers but still
not a bit crowded. The best thing about walking/jogging on the Alaskan cruise is
the air. It is fantastic coming off the glaciers. Best air I encountered by far. The stairs
were not fun, but not real bothersome.