Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 1st, 2003, 02:37 PM
Bob and Deb

Default I finally gave up on the Coral

We are leaving Friday for a trip aboard the Brilliance of the Sea. This is our 40th cruise, and first on this line. We were reserved on the Coral Princess for this Friday, but I did not want to be on thier first sailing after hearing about all of the problems they had getting the ship ready to sail. I stared calling Princess in early December, and was told "as far as we know everything is on schedule for the next sailing, which became the next, and now finally it appears the ship may sail on the 3rd. Last Monday we scurried to find another 10 day trip from the FLL/Mia area I do not quite understand how it can come into port on the 1st and be fully ready for its first sailing on the 3rd., but who knows. I must say I am pretty fed up with the total lack of information from Princess, and am glad we changed ships-I hope!!! We now have lost 10% of the cruise fair, but were able to use the same airline tickets. And barring any other problems, at least we feel confident that we will have a trip to leave on this week. I am sure there are others who prefer not to be on the first sailing of any vessal(we made that mistake twice in the past), and feel Princess shoudl have been more willing to at least give us a 100% credit rather than us having to file our insurance claim etc.

To those aboard the Coarl this Friday, I honestly hope it goes on time and that it is a terrific cruise. Good luck all!
Sponsored Links
Old January 1st, 2003, 04:08 PM
PMack

Default Re: I finally gave up on the Coral

Dear Bob and Deb -

Thank you for posting your information about the Coral. Phil and I are still scheduled to be on the trip on Friday -- we did not take any insurance so we would have lost all of our money (per Princess as of last week). It would be helpful to know what perils you experienced being on other ship's first sailings. I am hesitant to think of what we may face on this trip. At this time, Princess will not reimburse us or change us to another sailing -- terrible PR and information as you also remarked. I am curious about how you booked the Brillance at such a late date. Did you have to take an interior? We are scheduled for a balcony on the Coral -- this would be our 7th cruise so we are not as experienced as you folks. Any insights you could provide to us would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and Happy New Year and Safe Voyage.

Phil and Sheri
Old January 1st, 2003, 04:49 PM
Admiral

Leave this Saturday for Sydney, Australia for a few days till we board the Regal Princess on 1/8. This will be my 53rd cruise.

I have been on 'first sailings' and experienced no real problems.

Not sure why the comments about 'how can a ship get in on the 1st and be ready on the 3rd to sail. The time getting to port, across the Atlantic is spent getting the bars stocked, shops arranged, etc. We only saw a few things being finished during the sailing.

Enjoy the Coral, am trying to fit her into the spring sometime!
Old January 1st, 2003, 05:03 PM
Bob and Deb

Default Re: Re: I finally gave up on the Coral

We have a balcony but towards the stern of the ship on deck 7. You may have no problems at all with your sailing, but I felt, as I told Princess, that I had booked a cruise that woudl give the staff and the ship at least 4 sailings prior to us being on board. We did a first sailing on a holland america ship some time back, and found that the staff simply had not gotten the routine down. We also had problems with the thermostat in our room not working properly, and the A/C on the entire ship did nto seem to cool the ship down at all, and this was in the summer. The plus to the first trip are the little goodies you get, if you are into that at all, for free. Also had an experience, where some of th epublic rooms simply were no open becayuse they were not 100% complete on another trip. I hope this is a terrifc trip for you, and we may be kicking ourselves next week for not sticking with the Coral Princess. We both needed a vacation, and did not want to gamble on yet a third trip being cancelled, so we took our losses. I do feel that it was ridiculous that I seemed to knwo more about their ship then the 1-800-Princess people, did, or woudl admit to. The did tell me that there were a lot of people who didn't want to take the first sailing, but that is just the way it worked out-This was prior to them cancelling the last trip.

Well I hope the ship is in port right now, and that all goes very well for everyone on board. Have a great trip!!

Bob and Debbie
Old January 1st, 2003, 05:07 PM
Bob and Deb

I know it is possible to do a fast turn around, but would have thought a few extra days for the crew to get used to the new ship would be a plus. As I stated, hopefully this first voyage wil be fantastic for all involved. Even more than shakedown trip worries, I was even more concerned about another cancelled trip, or worse yet additional engine, or computer problems mid trip(assuming the information possted to other web sites regarding the delays was correct. Any idea if the ship is in port as expected today?

Happy cruising. It is by far our favorite type of vacation, since we got married 25 years ago.
Old January 1st, 2003, 05:26 PM
PMack

Default Re: Re: Re: I finally gave up on the Coral

Thank you so much for responding. I am curious about your updates regarding computer problems, etc. Where did you locate that info? We have really not found anything out there except for these few tidbits.

Your help in directing me to more information would be very helpful. Thanks, again!

Phil and Sheri
Old January 1st, 2003, 06:20 PM
Bob and Deb

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: I finally gave up on the Coral

If memory serves me correctly it was from a site called maritimematters.com

Good luck in your travels, I'm sure you wil have a great time.
Old January 2nd, 2003, 12:20 AM
Frank

CruiseAholic wrote:

> Leave this Saturday for Sydney, Australia for a few days till
> we board the Regal Princess on 1/8. This will be my 53rd
> cruise.

I've been interested in an Australia/New Zealand cruise but I wanted something bigger than the Regal Princess. I see that the Star will be doing that cruise at the end of 2003 and beginning of 2004. That sounds interesting.

> Enjoy the Coral, am trying to fit her into the spring
> sometime!

We are booked on the April-May 15 day cruise on the Coral from Ft. Lauderdale to San Francisco via the Panama Canal. Hopefully by then they will have the bugs worked out.
Frank-in-CA
Old January 2nd, 2003, 08:52 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

On another thread here in the Princess folder, someone said they called down to the Ft. Lauderdale pier and that Coral Princess did arrive, hope this information is correct and the cruise tomorrow will go as planned :-)

Message Boards Moderator