Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 6th, 2003, 06:52 AM
STANLEY

Default STAR PRINCESS 8/23/02

WE ALREADY BOOKED A BALCONY BA CABIN FOR THE END OF AUGUST AND WOULD LIKE TO KNOW IF ANYONE ELSE IS GOING AT THAT TIME. WE USUALLY GO WITH ANOTHER COUPLE BUT THIS YEAR THEY HAD SOMETHING COME UP.
I FIND THINGS MUCH EASIER WHEN FRIENDS GO TOGETHER. WE TOOK PERSONAL CHOICE ONLY BECAUSE MY AGENT IS MY SISTER BUT IN READING THE BOARDS I AM STARTING TO THINK THAT PRINCESS DOESN'T KNOW HOW TO HANDLE THIS PROPERLY. WHAT WOULD HAPPEN IF 50% OF THE PASSENGERS DECIDED ON PERSONAL CHOICE.
THANKS
STAN
Sponsored Links
Old January 6th, 2003, 06:53 AM
STANLEY

Default Re: STAR PRINCESS 8/23/02

WHOOPS, I MEAN'T 8/23/03. STILL IN THE OLD YEAR. SORRY
STAN
Old January 6th, 2003, 09:34 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: STAR PRINCESS 8/23/02

Stanley, Personal Choice Cuisine works very well, if most passengers follow the rules. If you have Traditional Seating you must inform the restaurant manager that you wish to switch to PC dining, you can only do this once, you can't switch back and forth willy-nilly as the whim hits you, and visa-versa. If you make your dinner reservations fairly early in the day, you will more than likely get what you want. Just showing up at the dining room for dinner is an invitation to wait.
Old January 6th, 2003, 12:10 PM
marina

Default Re: Re: Re: STAR PRINCESS 8/23/02

My advice to you would be to NOT do PC dining on the Star Princess. It is not a very pleasant experience. People are coming and going all the time and makes the dining room feel a little bit like Grand Central Station.

Wait times were sometimes long at peak times and the waiters were not their usual attentive self, I think partly because they knew they were getting a tip anyway and partly because they did not really get to know you as in regular dining.

I would never choose this option again.
Old January 6th, 2003, 06:57 PM
STANLEY

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: STAR PRINCESS 8/23/02

THANKS LISA AND MARINA. LIKE I SAID ORIGINALLY, OPINIONS ARE GOING BOTH WAYS ON PERSONAL CHOICE. THIS WILL BE OUR 5TH CRUISE AND WE ALWAYS HAD TRADITIONAL SEATING BOTH WITH YOUNGER AND OLDER PASSENGERS. I LIKE THE IDEA OF SITTING WITH TEN PEOPLE FROM ALL OVER AND JUST ENJOYING THE CONVERSATION, BUT I ALSO LIKE THE IDEA OF SITTING BY OURSELVES IN VARIOUS RESTAURANTS,
STAN
Old January 20th, 2003, 01:41 AM
Colette

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: STAR PRINCESS 8/23/02

We just returned yesterday from the Star Princess to the Mexican Riveria. We also had a cabin in the BA catagory. These are the regular staterooms, with a huge balcony! The balconies are half private/half open. In the shade or in the sun - you choose! We felt so lucky not to have been upgraded to a mini-suite - we loved our room!

We went with PC dining and we made a reservation once, for a formal evening. Usually, we showed up about 15 minutes after the dining room started serving. There was never a line, and we had a table for two every time! They would first try to seat you with others, but if you were insistent they found you a table for two. I thought the whole dining experience was great. I loved that we didn't have to rush to be somewhere at a specific time or place. The waiters were very polite - some more personable than others, but still just fine.

The ship is beautiful, everything and everyone was top-notch. They keep the indoor public places way too chilly though. I was bundled up in a sweater everywhere.

Have a great time!
~Colette
Old January 26th, 2003, 02:02 PM
M arion Paris

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: STAR PRINCESS 8/23/02

We will have our first cruise experience on Princess when we sail on the Star on March 1.

I have only tried the Personal Choice once on Rennisance 4 in the South Pacific and loved it,. However, the ship was smaller with only 650 passangers! I like the idea of being abe to dine with different passangers each evening and meeting a lot of new and interesting people. If you don't like them, chances are you won't be dining with them again anyway. Sounds like reservations are a good idea, I will make certain that we do make reservations daily so we won't have to wait too long to be seated.

Thanks for the good tips!

Marion Paris
Buffalo, New York
Old January 26th, 2003, 02:52 PM
Frank

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: STAR PRINCESS 8/23/02

marina wrote:

> I would never choose this option again.

I'm with you. I can have PC when they do the open seating for breakfast and lunch but for dinner, I prefer the traditional.
Frank-in-CA