Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 8th, 2004, 05:50 PM
Passenger

Default flying to San Fransisco

Hey, I'm cruising out of San Fran Oct 22nd to Mexico (Sapphire Princess) and was wondering which airport is easiest to get to the cruise terminal from, SF or OAK?
Sponsored Links
Old July 8th, 2004, 06:10 PM
First Mate

Default Re: flying to San Fransisco

San Francisco is a difficult port to get to so you may want to consider purchasing the cruise line's transfer from SFO.
Frank-in-CA
Old July 8th, 2004, 06:54 PM
JaneMarlow

Oakland is closest. It's only across the bay. SFO is down the peninsula. You can take BART or shuttles from both, of course.
Old July 8th, 2004, 11:33 PM
Deadzone1003

Both airports have poor access. Do not take BART unless you are taking just a backpack. Your best bet outside of the Princess transfer is the door-to-door shuttles
which can take you from the airport directly to the cruise terminal.
Old July 9th, 2004, 01:48 PM
Deadzone1003

Excuse me, a slight error, it will only take you from the airport directly to the cruise terminal if you are the first drop-off. The shuttle is a large van that gathers 4-8 passengers and drops them off at their desired destination if the van serves that area.
Check www.flysfo.com for info.
Old July 9th, 2004, 04:38 PM
lancet

The problem with Okland is that you have to cross the bay bridge. It can be snarled with traffic jams, especially if an accident occured. At least there are alternatives if hwy 101 is stopped up from SFO. Distance wise, pretty close to the same. Both have to use high density roads. One factor is sometimes cheaper to fly to Oakland. Southwest Airlines do not fly to SFO. I would go SFO if all other things equal.

MLH
Old July 9th, 2004, 10:06 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: flying to San Fransisco

The Bay Bridge is not a problem if one takes BART. However, I wouldn't take BART with a lot of luggage.

Your paying a lot for this cruise so why not spring for the few bucks Princess wants for the transfer from the airport to the ship? It's probably around $50 or less.
Frank-in-CA
Old July 10th, 2004, 12:02 PM
Irishjayne

Default Re: Re: Re: flying to San Fransisco

We live 30 miles north of the Golden Gate Bridge. Oakland is a much easier airport to get in and out of. However, your choice of airports would depend on the time of day you will be arriving or leaving. Our traffic situation in the Bay Area is a nightmare to say the least. Just give yourself ample time and let someone else do the driving. Oh and pick the best airfare.
Old July 10th, 2004, 07:20 PM
First Mate

One more suggestion, depending on where you are coming from. Why not plan to arrive a day or two sooner and see the city? It should be an easy cab ride from such a hotel to the pier.
Frank-in-CA
Old July 12th, 2004, 01:04 PM
Passenger

Thanks all for the suggestions. I can't wait to leave for the cruise!!!!

Old July 12th, 2004, 07:46 PM
Jane_Marlow

I am taking BART there...but I travel light and am used to walkig a lot.
Old July 17th, 2004, 12:33 PM
judy schenkman

We were going to fly in from Palm Springs and just take a cab to the airport. But it sounds as if we should take the Princess connection. Is the traffic that bad? Our plane arrives at 8 or 9 in the morning on the day of departure. We are arriving in the San Francisco airport. Any advice? Thank you very much.

Judy
Old July 18th, 2004, 12:07 AM
First Mate

How much does Princess want for their transfer? Compare that to the high taxi fares from SFO to the port.
Frank-in-CA
Old July 18th, 2004, 10:02 AM
Ernie

Franknca: I have a group going on that same cruise, Oct 22, '04 (I am a travel agent group leader with Red Hill Travel in Marin County) and we are chartering a bus to get to the pier..
I always suggest you get the Princess transfer from the airport to pier 35. I don't know what it costs (1-800-PRINCESS) but it is worth it to let them have your luggage at SFO or OAK then board their bus for the 1/2 hour ride to Fisherman's Wharf and the pier. After the cruise, they will get you to the airport in time for your flight. Let them do what they do best. If you try some other way, for instance BART, it does not get you near the pier and you will still have to take a cab, which will cost almost as much as the Princess transfer to go those few blocks. Let you trip be a happy one and I will see you on board with my group of 33 people. Ernie C235
Old July 18th, 2004, 12:34 PM
Irishjayne

Yes the traffic is that bad. Take the Princess transfer as the TA recommends. You will have plenty of time arriving that early in the morning. Happy Cruising!!!