Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 4th, 2003, 01:02 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to jayfoxfire Send a message via MSN to jayfoxfire
Default Sun Princess...Norwalk Virus?

I thought I heard something on the news that the Sun Princess had an outbreak of what may be the Norwalk Virus. Did anyone else hear this? Was it actually the Sun Princess?

My Wedding Cruise on the Coral Princess
Sponsored Links
Old February 4th, 2003, 06:33 PM
Familiar Face

Default Re: Sun Princess...Norwalk Virus?

I read that they had to terminate the cruise today in Hawaii and send everyone home by plane. The Sun Princess is going back to L.A. without passengers. I was just on there Jan 5-15th. I had a great time, but I did get annoyed at the way they sometimes handed out disinfectant wipes to people entering the Horizon Court and sometimes didn't. What is the point of handing them out if they aren't going to be consistent about it?
Old February 4th, 2003, 06:43 PM
Admiral

jayfoxfire,

I thought I heard something on the news that the Sun Princess had an outbreak of what may be the Norwalk Virus. Did anyone else hear this? Was it actually the Sun Princess?

An article in the Boston Herald yesterday reported that there was an outbreak suspected, but not confirmed, to be Norwalk Virus on the present cruise to Hawaii. The article made no mention any disruption to either the cruise or the ship's schedule.

Norm.
Old February 5th, 2003, 02:55 PM
DITSY

Default Re: Re: Sun Princess...Norwalk Virus?

I am sailing on the Sun Marxh llth and will take hand sanitizing towelettes with us and will drink [plenty of wine (for medicinal reasons)
Old February 5th, 2003, 06:48 PM
Admiral

Why doesn't this violate the Passenger Vessel Service Act (or whatever it is called). They left from a US port and debarked at ANOTHER US port without visiting a distant port. If they had returned to LA, they would have been fine since they stopped in Ensenada. They should have to pay a fine of $200 for every person that was on the ship.

Am I right or wrong?

help,
marc
Old February 6th, 2003, 10:29 AM
First Mate

You're wrong. There are exceptions to every high seas Act. This was an extraordinary circumstance and was in the best interests of the sailing passengers. Princess refunded 1/3 of the cruise fare (since 1/3 was canceled), gave a $500 voucher on a future cruise, flew passengers back to Los Angeles (or other home airport), and provided hotel rooms for those they couldn't accommodate with an immediate flight.

Several years ago I was on the Crown Oddysy on this same itinerary and high seas prevented a stop at Ensenada, so we salled directly into L. A.
Old February 6th, 2003, 11:58 AM
First Mate

Yes, it was the Sun Princess. The Hawaii 15 day cruise that left from LA on 25 January. The reason I've been following this so close, is that I'm booked on the one that leaves in March and I'm wondering if I should cancell or not, since I have other health problems that getting the Norwalk virus might make worse if I go.
Old February 6th, 2003, 07:57 PM
Admiral

Marc,

Why doesn't this violate the Passenger Vessel Service Act (or whatever it is called). They left from a US port and debarked at ANOTHER US port without visiting a distant port. If they had returned to LA, they would have been fine since they stopped in Ensenada. They should have to pay a fine of $200 for every person that was on the ship.

Most acts of this type have some sort of exception for genuine emergency situations.

BTW, the ship had not yet arrived at Ensenada. The "service call" there to comply with the Jones Act is on the last night of the cruise.

Norm.
Old February 8th, 2003, 01:51 AM
Barrie Davis

Yes, I have just got home to England from Honolulu after a nightmare 23 hours involving 3 flights and four airports. I was on the Sun Princess and got the virus on day 2 (27th February). I have to say that Princess abandoned us all in Hawaii with no support, answers or very much else. It was "you have been rebooked on these flights and you must go home" ignoring my own post cruise arrangements. If you are in any doubt about going in the future, cancel because you cannot rely on Princess to do the decent thing
Old February 8th, 2003, 08:20 AM
Passenger

Default Do you want the full story

For the full story and details from a passenger onboard the Sun you might want to visit the Cruise Critic message board, and specifically the Princess board there. A very good review and detailed report of the happenings on the ship are posted there by a passenger who took notes on his laptop computer to post.