Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 8th, 2003, 03:31 PM
Beginner

Default Cruise questions from a novice

My husband and I are considering a booking on the Golden Princess on Oct 5,2003
out of NY. I was wondering what the comments about the "open balconies" mean?
I had read something about a lack of privacy in some of the other websites but could find no clear explanation. Also, if anyone has done this cruise this late in the season, is it even worth paying for a balcony or would it be better to book an outside room with a picture window and possibly get an uprgrade? Any other cruise tips you have and would like to pass along would also be greatly appreciated Thanks,

Sponsored Links
Old February 8th, 2003, 04:08 PM
Kathy Reilly

Default Re: Cruise questions from a novice

Here is a picture that will show you what people mean about the balconies sticking out. We had one on the Caribe deck that was partially exposed. It was great! The balcony itself was larger and would at times have sun and shade - great if you need to stay out of the sun for a while. We spent alot of time on our balcony - especially on sea days when it gets crowded at the pool. We hardly saw any people on other balconies, so the lack of privacy is not really a problem. Enjoy!
Kathy

Old February 8th, 2003, 10:18 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Cruise questions from a novice

Carolyn,

I was wondering what the comments about the "open balconies" mean?
I had read something about a lack of privacy in some of the other websites but could find no clear explanation.

The balconies on the Caribe and Dolphin decks of MV Golden Princess (and her sisters, MV Grand Princess and MV Star Princess) extend beyond the edge of the higher decks. Thus, it's possible for passengers on the higher decks to look down and watch activity on the balconies of the decks below. These balconies are also visible from Skywalker's Lounge (the combination disco and observation lounge that looks like a "spoiler" over the stern).

Also, if anyone has done this cruise this late in the season, is it even worth paying for a balcony or would it be better to book an outside room with a picture window and possibly get an uprgrade?

The only sound advice is to book the lowest category of cabin with which you will be sattisfied. On one cruise, a most unhappy woman happened by the "Captain's Circle" desk as I was checking in as a member. It seems that her travel agent had advised her to book a standard cabin and then hope for an upgrade to a balcony. She was quite upset because the upgrade that her travel agent had "promised" did not happen, even though the cruise line had made no such commitment. Upgrades are great when they happen, but you can't count on them.

Weather here in New England is highly variable and unpredictable. When a friend came to visit a couple years ago, a snow shower on Columbus Day dropped a couple inches of accumulation as we were leaving the Topsfield Fair. On the following Saturday, we went strolling through Boston in our shirtsleaves basking in warm (upper 70's) sunshine. There's no way to predict what you'll encounter in advance.

Norm.