CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Princess Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/princess-cruise-lines/)
-   -   We're Booked!! Finally- Thank you All! (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/princess-cruise-lines/223674-were-booked-finally-thank-you-all.html)

deja February 18th, 2003 11:12 AM

We're Booked!! Finally- Thank you All!

Hi Everyone,

After weeks of debate, research and agonizing over choices I made the decision last night and this morning I booked the April 6th Western Carib Sailing of the Grand Princess. We'll be with 2 other couples (so 6 adults total) and I found 3 mini suites in a row - CAT AD - the last 3 rooms on the Starboard side/ aft .

Has anyone stayed in one of these rooms? I jumped on it because the price seemed so good.

Any feedback would be appreciated! Because we are active people in our 30's I was torn between RCI Explorer of the Seas - for all the excitement etc.... but have always wanted to try the Grand.

Well- after seeing the price of the mini-suite I had to take it! The other 2 couples have never cruised before so I can't see how they can be dissapointed!

If anyone has stayed in this catagory cabin on the Grand- will you please let me know what the room is like? We want to have the balcony dividers opened- will they do this for us?

Yay! We're booked. Thanks everyone!!

Deja :)
April 6, 2003 Grand Princess

Scotts February 18th, 2003 06:53 PM

Re: We're Booked!! Finally- Thank you All!

We were on the golden in march and are going on the grand in april. the 20th to be exact.
In march we had 2 "AA" cabins with friends next door
I called the cabin steward and he had the divider opened.

The only thingis it looked like only every OTHER divider could be opened, not really sure if BOTH sides can be opened.

As far as "AA" vs "AD" goes the only differance is the location on the ship( aft, mid .....)

Hope this helps

Scott

deja February 18th, 2003 07:47 PM

Re: Re: We're Booked!! Finally- Thank you All!

Hi Scott,

Thanks, yes it helps a lot! Our cabins our the last 3 cabins on the starboard side. Do you know if this is a good location? Did you like your room? I figure that being in the back of the boat there will be a lot of walking involved getting anywhere.

Again, thanks!
Deja

Scotts February 18th, 2003 08:38 PM

Deja,

We were in the middle of the ship so the walk wasn't to bad. Except to go the the theater
The elevators in the middle of the ship do not go to the floor that the theater is on so you have to either get off then walk down to the next floor or what we did was walk ALL the way to the front of the ship THEN take the elevator down. From the middle of the ship it was a loooong walk and from the back it's going to be a really looong walk.
Also they say if you are prone to seasickness then the back of the ship nor the front for that mather is NOT the place to be.

Scott

lak February 19th, 2003 10:38 AM

Re: Re: Re: We're Booked!! Finally- Thank you All!

Deja,

I stayed in the very LAST cabin aft (mini-suite) on Emerald deck of Star Princess, which should be the same as the ships are the same. You will LOVE it! MAKE SURE you take the farthest back for yourself -- I think it's either E728 or E729 depending on which side of the ship you're on. If you're doing traditional dining, the dining room is right under you -- you just go down two flights and you are there. Also, the Vista Showlounge is very convenient (one floor down). We LOVED that room -- you'll be pleasantly suprised when you get there and see it -- the balcony is INCREDIBLE -- I won't ruin the suprise for you, you'll see it soon enough! So happy for you!!!!

deja February 19th, 2003 06:00 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: We're Booked!! Finally- Thank you All!

wow- we are in E729! There is a surprise? I can't wait to find out what it is!

I never gave the seasickness thing a thought- hrrm ! Oh well, sea-bands and bonine will be at hand. Hopefully we'll have calm seas and no storms to ride out.

I'm not looking foward to that long walk to get around - but! I am really excited about the cabin-

I wonder what surprise you are talking about!!

Kathy Vetter February 20th, 2003 08:08 AM

Our traveling mates stayed in this cabin and yes - awesom surprise. But like he said - you must take the last cabin. They had AD - we had AA. They had a better cabin. They did say it was a little noisy though.

Can anyone confirm that only everyother balcony door opens? doesn't make sense. How would you make sure you got cabins that it would work on. This yeart - two families with the teenagers in the middle cabin. better open on both sides!

lak February 20th, 2003 09:39 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: We're Booked!! Finally- Thank you All!

It's just a little EXTRA - you'll see. I'm soooooooo excited for you! You are gonna love it! I much prefer this category of mini-suites to those on the Dolphin deck. It will be great, too, if you can open up the balcony dividers -- you all will have a HUGE balcony! Have a GREAT trip! Please post when you get back and tell us all how you liked the Grand and your cabin, etc. :-)

lak February 20th, 2003 09:41 AM

Re: Re: We're Booked!! Finally- Thank you All!

Oh yeah, one night we did hear the music from the Vista Lounge -- but most nights we did not because we were out -- went to all the shows, etc, and didn't come back until late. It was not terribly loud, but we could hear them down there. Not enough to make me give up that cabin!!!! I don't know anything about those dividers, but they all look the same, you'd think they could all open. Who knows.

deja February 21st, 2003 01:10 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: We're Booked!! Finally- Thank you All!

OMG!! I did some poking around and found out what it is!! We do have E729!!! I am so excited I can hardly wait!

If I understand what I read on another message board - our balcony wraps around all the way aft? WOW!! How great is that!!

I also read somewhere else that this was a *favorite* room of many who are fans of the Golden/Grand ships!

I hope the seas are calm - can you feel more motion back there? I don't care- Bonine and Sea-Bands seem to work fine for me, and it's only the first night getting acclimated that I've even had a hint of the ickies. Sitting on the balcony in the fresh air looking at the horizon took care of it.

I can't understand why the balcony dividers wouldn't be able to all be opened... isn't that how they clean them? They open them all up for easy hosing off?

Well... even if 2 of the 3 get opened up -we are all next to each other and will still benefit from the extra balcony space.

Are these balconies totally open above or partially covered like on the Aloha or Caribe deck? (not sure which one was...)

I am now trying to do my on-line check in through the Princess web-site but I don't have a passport.... I use my birth certificate and DL.... it won't let me continue without a passport number. There has to be a way around this? Maybe I need to call them.

I want to look at the available excursions... I know that we are so close to sail date that the ones we want are most likely going to be sold out- but I at least want the option of finding out if there is still space to be had.

It's just a matter of doing my on-line check in.. and waiting for my docs to arrive.

Somehow- for what ever reason, as soon as I have those docs in my hand it makes it all *real*!!

Do the balcony doors stay opened on their own? Are there things I should pack (like I did on Carnival) such as bungee cords, power strip, extra hangers...duct tape? (LOL why the duct tape is always on the list beats me- who knows !)

Thanks so much everyone for all your help!
You guys are the best! April 6th is just not that far off!!

lak February 21st, 2003 09:30 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: We're Booked!! Finally- Thank you All!

Shhhhhhhh -- we don't want everyone to know the secret of those rooms or we'll never be able to book them. :-)

The balcony is totally covered -- completely private. It doesn't get any better than that! Have a great trip!

Oh, by the way, you can go to the doc's office and get a shot that lasts the entire week for seasickness and does not have some of the side effects of over-the-counter remedies.

Enjoy!!! :-)

Kathy Vetter February 21st, 2003 12:56 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: We're Booked!! Finally- Thank you A

If I remember right, the balcony dividers have a door that swings open after the room steward comes with an allen wrench. You can't literally combine two balconies into one. I recall once that door is open, it gets in the way . It is very convenient for going back and forth without having to use the hallway.

deja February 21st, 2003 04:23 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: We're Booked!! Finally- Thank you A

Ohhh my gosh, you're right!! LOL ****erasing my prior post giving away the secret*** LOL!!

WoW! I had no clue that this shot exists. I will definately call my doctor and ask about it. My husband tends to get a little sea sick- I don't have the problem as much, and I am not sure about the other couples.

I didn't know that these balconies are totally covered! The sun worshippers among us (or as we are called by our husbands "human sun dials" LOL) might be disappointed if the balconies don't get sun.

As for the totally pale 2 husbands going who prefer the shade.... perfect.

Do they get any sun at all being totally covered?

I remember my last balcony and it wasn't covered.... looking up at the stars and moon at night was the best....

ohhh i need this cruise bad!!

thanks!!

deja :)

I remember last year helping someone with the countdown clock - the thread was endless LOL - now I can't figure out how to do it myself :(

lak February 23rd, 2003 03:43 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: We're Booked!! Finally- Thank y

Yes, some sun, when the sun is on that side of the ship, but as for laying out on your balcony, not sure if it will be enough. The husbands will enjoy!

deja February 23rd, 2003 07:14 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: We're Booked!! Finally- Tha

Thanks lak!

Our last cruise was on the Carnival Spirit and the balcony was totally covered. It didn't take away any of the enjoyment at all.

Yep, yep - the ghostly pale husbands among us will have a lovely escape from the sun!

deja :)