Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 20th, 2003, 01:11 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Crime

I've heard that there is crime on ships. Pick pockets and stuff. How common is this? Have you ever heard of a serious crime being committed on a ship? If so, how was it handled? Has a cabin ever been broken into? If this happens, what does the ship do about it? I've heard that on your last night, you have to put your luggage outside your door by midnight, so that the porters can pick them up and bring them to the dock in time for your departure. How safe is that? What happens if some other passenger comes by and just takes your luggage?
Sponsored Links
Old February 20th, 2003, 01:47 PM
David Starkey

Default Re: Crime

Crime is not a serious problem on most cruises. You should use common sence ofcourse and guard your wallet and creditcards just like you would when traveling anywhere. In 25 years of cruising I have not heard of any pick-pockets aboard a ship. Don't stress...just use good judgement for personal security issues. (a cruise ship is a hundred times saferr than walking the streets in America's major cities.
Old February 20th, 2003, 02:43 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Crime

Thank you. Since everything is paid for already (with the exception of soda/alcohol) why would you need to carry your wallet around for. Just put it in the safe. Hopefully no one breaks into your cabin.
Old February 20th, 2003, 03:25 PM
Frank

Default Re: Re: Re: Crime

Kelley:
I have heard some rare complaints about having something stolen but it was a situation where people left a safe open or something like that. I've left small amounts of money on the desk of my cabin and it was never touched. One nice aspect of cruising is one can leave everything valuable in the safe and only carry around their cruise card - that is you key to your room and the way one charges things. When I go off ship, I may carry one credit card and some cash but it is in one of my front pockets. In the long run, this should be the least of your worries, especially if you use common sense.
Frank-in-CA
Old February 20th, 2003, 04:02 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Crime

I agree with previous posts in the sense that a safe is always the best place to put any valuables(?) on a cruise ship. Last year I got a topaz ring (my mom got tanzanite) in St. Maarten which we kept in the safe until we got off the cruise ship. As for the problems with leaving luggage in the hall, I would put all of my truly valuable(?) items in my carry-on luggage in the room with me. I doubt that anyone would try to steal your clothes! (lol!) Well, I would not spend too much time worrying about crimes on the ship because that might ruin the vacation! Just be cautious where you keep any valuables(?) as you would anywhere else! Have fun!!!

Old February 20th, 2003, 05:46 PM
Beginner

Send a message via AIM to Fred Snyder

There are infrequent reports of rape at sea.

www.geocities.com/fsbsdel

Post Edited (02-20-03 17:48)
Old February 21st, 2003, 07:56 AM
Admiral

crime is rare on the ship itself. Its on the streets of some of the islands that you need to be aware, not paranoid, just use plain common sense, put what you need for the day in fanny or hip pack.
Old February 21st, 2003, 10:23 PM
Admiral

Kelley,

I have yet to hear of a crime aboard any Princess vessel. I won't say that it can't happen, but you don't have to worry about it.

>> 1. Princess attracts a mostly upper middle class cadre of passengers who generally are not the sort of people who would commit crimes. The line also does not have a reputation as a "pick-up" spot for singles (for whom most pundits recommend Carnival), so it does not many "lounge lizzards" and other varmin from Animal House.

>> 2. Princess screens their staff very thoroughly to ensure that they are trustworthy and maintains a very strict "zero tolerance" policiy with regard to any sort of misconduct by the crew and the staff. Any member of the crew caught in a passenger stateroom outside of duty would be left ashore at the next port, whether the passenger was there at the time or not -- and the members of the crew know it!

>> 3. Princess also has a very competent and adept security team aboard every ship, augmented by technology that allows them to monitor the entire ship and to respond immediately if there is a problem.

The result is that Princess provides about the safest environment that you will find anywhere.

If you are anxious about safety in any ports of call, just take a tour from the ship. There's tremendous safety in numbers and they won't take you to any areas that are dangerous. Also, Princess will cancel any port of call where there's unrest or civil strife, replacing it with either an alternate port of call, if possible, or a day at sea. You'll be safe.

Norm.
Old February 21st, 2003, 10:31 PM
Admiral

Fred,

There are infrequent reports of rape at sea.

Yes, though I suspect that very few of these have occurred aboard Princess's vessels.

Of course, there's also the difficulty of sorting out which of these reports are real rapes and which of these reports are incidents in which a woman went fishing for a man at one of the ship's bars, either lured him into her room or went to his, enticed him into bed either way, and then cried "rape" the next morning when she decided that he was not such a prize catch....

Princess's strict rules about crew and staff not going to passengers' cabns except when their duties require it are there for very good reason -- to protect not only the passengers but also the members of the crew..

Norm.
Old February 22nd, 2003, 09:03 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Crime

I have been on about 15 cruises. I have only had one thing stollen. It was a silver money clip I purchased as a souvenir. It had no money in it. This theft was largely my fault because I left it out on the counter in the bag from the jewelry store. I should have put it away somewhere or in the safe. This was twenty years ago and I cannot remember if the "Stardancer" had safes or not.

Cruises are vere safe, in my opinion.