Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 27th, 2003, 10:11 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to lauram Send a message via MSN to lauram Send a message via Yahoo to lauram
Default Best Place to Buy Gold Jewelry? St. Martin or St. Thomas???

Would like to know the best place to buy gold jewelry. St. Martin or St. Thomas.
If there is a particular store that is best that would be great to know as well.

Old February 28th, 2003, 07:49 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Best Place to Buy Gold Jewelry? St. Martin or St. Thomas

I would always recommend St. Thomas over St. Maarten for shopping for serious jewelry, watches and the like. My favorite, always, is H. Stern in downtown Charlotte Amalie... not the one at the Havensport Dock shopping area.

H. Stern is an international company of great repute. Their signature line of gold rings is superb and they are well priced with watches. Best of all, they have numerous locations here in the U.S. and are very dependable should warranty issues arise.

The other reason I recommend St. Thomas (or other USVI Islands) is that you get a significantly increased customs allowance (double or so) for purchases made in these U.S. Territories.

Again, I'm talking about substantive purchases rather than souvenier or low cost items.

Post Edited (02-28-03 07:50)
Old February 28th, 2003, 07:50 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Best Place to Buy Gold Jewelry? St. Martin or St. Thomas

Both are supposed to be great places to do your jewelry shopping. You will find dozens to hundreds of stores to shop. First find out what the local price is for the item you are shopping for. Check and know the US price. This is your best tool. Then look into the "major" stores like Little Switzerland , Columbian Emeralds, Diamonds International Etc. Also look at the cruise line recommended stores as well. Neither necessarily guarantees a great price, but you have some recourse if you get home and find your 14 carat is actually 14 carrots.
Old February 28th, 2003, 10:49 AM
Yeoman

Default Re: Re: Best Place to Buy Gold Jewelry? St. Martin or St. Th

I recently bought a large tanzanite and diamond ring in St. Thomas at Diamonds International. Since I was going on another cruise the following month, I told the salesman I would like to have the ring sized in Cozumel, and he said no problem, but to call D.I. in NYC first. I was told the ring had to be mailed to NYC for sizing and could not be sized in Cozumel. Wonderful customer service, but a real hassle mailing the ring to NYC.
Old February 28th, 2003, 12:05 PM
Solsurfer

Default Re: Re: Re: Best Place to Buy Gold Jewelry? St. Martin or St

never, ever pay full price wherever you shop. My rule of thumb is take the maked price in the showcase and divide by two and start negoiating from there. don't be afraid to walk out and check other stores for similar stuff and price.
Old February 28th, 2003, 06:21 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Best Place to Buy Gold Jewelry? St. Martin o

I love the Gold Mine in St Martin. I have purchased a number of items from them over the last 10 years and have never had a problem. Their prices are very fair. They will also discount more if you pay with cash.