I think I made a huge error. I'm doing the eastern caribbean next month and my return flight leaves at 9:55 am from FLL. Will I have enough time to disembark and make it to the airport at least one hour before my flight? What can I do to expedite my disembarkation? bI booked on travelocity--my mistake, should have used a TA.
We had the very same flight on January 18th and made it with time to spare. Just make sure you have red tags and try to be first off the ship so that there are still plenty of cabs available. You should be fine. I worried too but it turned out okay.
Thank you so much for your info. I'm kind of worried, but i will take a taxi and hopefully make it. if not, i don't mind waiting for the next flight, or even an overnight stay in fort lauderdale if i absolutely have to. Thanks again!
I recommend rebooking on a later flight, even if you have to pay a fee (usually $100 per passenger) to do so. The government's rule is that nobody can leave the ship until immigration officials clear everybody (passengers and crew, whether disembarking or not), so one uncooperative laggard can delay the entire disembarkation process for several hours. The peace of mind will be well worth the rebooking fee if you are delayed.
I should mention that there are several cruise lines that do turn-around in both Miami and Port Everglades on both Saturday and Sunday, so flights into and out of both Miami and Fort Lauderdale tend to be very full on those days. If you miss the flight on which you are confirmed, your chances of getting onto flight later in the day are pretty slim.
I think you'll have plenty of time. You should be off the ship around 8am which will leave you plenty of time to pick up your bags and get to FLL in time to go through security and make your flight. I've left before 10am on 2 cruises out of Fort Lauderdale and had no problems making my flight. If the ship is being held up by customs and you won't make your flight, I'd suggest you call your airline from a cell phone before you leave the ship - bring the number with you! This way, you can ask if you are allowed to go standby on a later flight or if you have to rebook your ticket (with the $100 change fee and any additional fare). You don't want to let your flight take off without making some arrangement with your airline, or you risk having a worthless ticket.
I would definately rebook. A ship I was on 11-02 did not clear until after 11, there are no guarantees and the 1 hour window is still required for check in and they are enforcing it. I just got off a trans US trip. some tickets have no value if you do not make the scheduled flight, verify what you purchased directly from the airline.
With the war going on, your airline could be one of the many airlines to relax their rebooking rules. Most are allowing changes for free right now. If you're worried about it, it's worth looking at. Some (Air Tran, for instance) are requiring any changes to be done by April 1.