Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 8th, 2003, 11:48 AM
saskgirl

Default Alaska - Dawn Princess - Tell me all about it !

Just in the process of booking a cruise with Dawn Princess. Looking for pointers about everything to do with Alaskan cruise. From excursions, to tips about the ship - places to eat, bars to go to, activities to participate in. I'm open for lots of ideas and fun!
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old March 12th, 2003, 05:02 PM
Dancing Queen

Default Re: Alaska - Dawn Princess - Tell me all about it !

Hi - I cruised on the Dawn to the Caribbean in January. You'll really enjoy the ship. She is beautiful - casually elegant, not overdone - and quite comfortable to get around. There are a number of places where you can stay indoors (where it's warm) and still get a look at the beautiful scenery. These include the Horizon Court, the Library (you have to look across the Promenade Deck), the area near the Bar outside the disco area (again on the Promenade Deck), some areas in the big show lounge, the bar in the 5th floor Atrium area, etc. The Dawn does not have an enclosed pool area, so you may not need that swimsuit.

I found that the service was quite good on this ship and all personnel were very friendly and did a good job of making you feel welcome on board. Additionally, all staff and crew that I encountered (including the guy varnishing the railings) spoke very good English. We found that the Dawn didn't have any problems with their Personal Choice dining. I never waited for a table and had the opportunity to meet a lot of interesting people in the dining room. The dining service overall was very good as most of the teams are very professional, efficient and personable.

My mother and sister, who visited Alaska on Princess last June, say that the trip inland to Denali should not be missed. Have a wonderful cruise!!
Old March 12th, 2003, 08:58 PM
saskgirl

Default Re: Re: Alaska - Dawn Princess - Tell me all about it !

With regards to personal choice dining.
We have decided to do the traditional early sitting.
Can we still dine at different restaurants if we choose to?
Also what was the inland tour at Denali?
Old March 14th, 2003, 12:03 PM
spongerob

You can dine at the alternative restaurants if you so choose. I highly recommend the Sterling Steakhouse.

A lot of people do cruise-tours that include a land-cruise of Alaska. Princess has lodges in a number of locations, including one near Denali National Park. The tours are quite well run, but do include lots of moving around, bus trips, and the like. Plus, many of the extras cost extra, and you can run up quite a tab, so budget wisely.
Old March 14th, 2003, 06:41 PM
Admiral

saskgirl,

MV Dawn Princess is absolutely the best of the Princess fleet -- an excellent choice! The only thing that's lacking is a swimming pool with a dome, but the temperatures are sufficiently cool in Alaskan waters and ports (wet suits are standard issue for the snorkeling expedtions) that you really will not want to go swimming. Be sure to bring warm layers of clothing, including a heavy jacket, because you won't want to stay below decks in areas like Glacier Bay and College Fjord!

As far as "musts" are concerned, be sure to book the "Grandview Rail Transfer" between Seward and Anchorage and to schedule your flight times appropriately. This transfer, operated by the Alaska Railroad, passes through some magnificent scenery that you can't see from any roads -- and the train (modern) much more comforatable than a bus!

I'll let you in on a deep, dark, dirty secret. If you ask for any item on the "Stirling Steakhouse" menu an evening in advance, it will show up on your plate in the main dining room -- but without the surcharge. Indeed, Princess will serve whatever you wish at any meal if they have the ingredients aboard ship and you ask sufficiently in advance so they have time to prepare it (one night in advance usually is adequate). Before you do this, though, ask your waiter to show you the next evening's menu so you don't preempt a featured entree that you would be disappointed to miss!

And if you want anything at all aboard ship, just ask for it! Princess has a policy that no member of the crew may refuse a request from a passenger without first checking with his or her supervisor -- who is under the same policy. If you ask for something, you probably will get it!

Norm.