Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 14th, 2003, 01:05 PM
Louise Martin

Default NCAA Hoops televised?

I would like to know if the ship will televise the NCAA men's basketbll tournament.
We are cruising on the Golden and we leave on 4/5- which is the day of the final four with the championship game the next day. My husband is an avid NCAA hoops fan and it would certainly make his day to be able to watch it while onboard.
I know they have ESPN and they also televised the Super Bowl onboard.
Any answers would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Old March 15th, 2003, 11:00 AM
Passenger

Default Re: NCAA Hoops televised?

I know they had CNN and a few others when we were on Princess. I wouldn't bet on it though. Maybe you could call Princess and ask them what stations they carry on the TV sets.
Old March 15th, 2003, 12:33 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

If ESPN is covering the tournament I'd say your chances of seeing games is very good. Regular network feeds are not as likely.

- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old March 16th, 2003, 05:23 PM
First Mate

I've been through this dilemma several different times as we typically take our cruises in March or April. Basically you're out of luck, unless your persuasive powers are really, really good. The NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament is carried by CBS and not ESPN. The ships do not pick up the network feeds although they have the capability to do so. It has something to do with the expense of paying the connection fees. Occasionally, the ships will carry special events that are broadcast on network t.v. like the Academy Awards Show. As soon as you get onboard, I would ask if they will be carrying the basketball tournament. If not, try to get in touch with the Communications Officer who can make the decision about picking up the satellite feed. I have had some luck in the past with lots of begging, cajoling and bribery if necessary.

Good luck in catching the games. Unfortunately, my team, the North Carolina Tar Heels, will not going to the Big Dance for the second year in a row after twenty-five plus consecutive years.

Regal Princess - 1996; Star Princess - 1995
Old March 16th, 2003, 09:59 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: NCAA Hoops televised?

When we were on the Dawn they carried international ESPN and there was alot of soccer and no bball
Old March 31st, 2003, 08:54 PM
Longhorn

I called Princess today to check on the chances of them showing the Final Four. She said that the ships often show major sporting events. Also, being a Mexico cruise, we will always be able to access the correct satellite. She suggested that we ask the staff to show all three games upon boarding.

She said if they show the games, they will be available from the rooms and any bars with TVs.

Tell everybody you see to request that they show the games!!!
Old April 6th, 2003, 10:22 PM
Tom321

I just got off the Grand this morning and can tell you not to worry, I watch the last round a few days ago in the sports bar. Not only did they show it but it was an organized event advertised in the Princess Patter (daily cruise newspaper). Drink special and all in the sports bar. I really doubt they won't do it for the rest of the games.