Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 14th, 2003, 03:04 PM
Passenger

Default formal dining & personal choice

1st time on a cruise. I don't quite understand this. Is there a seperate charge for the formal dining? We are on the Star next month.
Sponsored Links
Old March 14th, 2003, 03:31 PM
Yeoman

Send a message via AIM to Wayne
Default Re: formal dining & personal choice

We just got back on the Sun Princess and there is not an additional charge for formal nights unless you go to the alternate dining room ( the sterling steakhouse ) which was $8 per person.The cruise,food,crew were all fantastic-have a great cruise.We liked the anytime dining instead of the traditional dining but thats just one opinion.

HAPPY CRUISING
Old March 14th, 2003, 03:40 PM
Admiral

Your choices for dinner seating will be "traditional" or personal choice. Traditional is assigned table at an assigned time; early seating (about 630pm) or late seating (about 830pm). Personal choice allows you the freedom of choosing your own dining times and table size which can vary from day to day as you choose. All of this is included in your cruise charge. You will find the food and service in these dining rooms to be excellent . Each ship may also have an venue for dining that carries with it a surcharge to pay for the tip and the "premium" food and service. You are under no obligation to eat there and I have never bothered to do so on any cruise. Princess ships also have a 24 hour buffet to eat in a more informal atmosphere if you so choose as well as 24 hour room service. None of these dining choices costs you anything extra.
Look back over the articles and use the search feature and you will find lots of information regarding Princess personal choice dining options.
Have a wonderful cruise.
Old March 14th, 2003, 06:24 PM
Admiral

Barnas-Mary,

I don't quite understand this. Is there a seperate charge for the formal dining?

No. The main dining rooms, which offer formal dining, are included in the fare. You may eat any and all of your meals there.

MV Star Princess has three main dining rooms, and therefore offers Princess's "Personal Choice Dining" program. As defined by Princess Cruises (http://www.princess.com/news/article...rticleId=na498), "Personal Choice Dining" means that at least one main dining room offers "Traditional Dining" (with a choice of early (nomianlly 6:15 PM) and main (nominally 8:30 PM) seatings) and at least one main dining room offers "Anytime Dining" (which operates like a formal restaurant ashore -- you may either make reservations in advance or simply walk in when you wish to dine). Snce most passengers now choose to eat breakfast and lunch in one of the many alternative dining venues, Princess now serves breakfast and lunch in only one main dining room, open to all passengers, on an "Open Seating" basis. "Open seating" means that there are no reservations, so you simply walk in when you wish to eat these meals.

MV Star Princess also offers two "sucker" restaurants -- Sabatini's Trattoria (Italian, $15 per person for dinner) and Tequilla's (Southwestern, $8 per person for dinner). Since the main dining rooms offer a "five star" dining experience with a different themed menu each evening (and a good selection of standard fare that's "always available" for those who don't care for the featured selections on any evening), I do not understand why anybody would pay extra to eat dinner elsewhere. The surcharge originated as a gratuity for the service staff in the alterntive restaurant ($3.50 per person), but now is much more than that. If the food in the main dining room is substandard, paying extra to eat elsewhere does nothing to solve the problem.

Norm.
Old March 16th, 2003, 01:11 PM
Cruise Maniac

I am curious if the Ship Officers still eat with passengers with the two types of dining?
I did not see the Captain in the Dining Room on my last cruise.
Old March 16th, 2003, 03:46 PM
Frank

Default Re: Re: formal dining & personal choice

Interesting point. I've seen the table empty on alternate evenings. I guess they eat at early some days and late seating other days?
Frank-in-CA