Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 18th, 2003, 02:48 PM
Andrew

Default Upgrading Once on Ship

My wife and I are sailing on Golden in a couple of weeks. When we booked, we opted for the guarantee category cabin. Recently, we saw that we had been upgraded to an outside cabin with an obstructed view. I am wondering, if there are any available cabins when we board, would they allow us to move up? If so, and if it weren't free, how much would they charge?
Sponsored Links
Old March 18th, 2003, 02:50 PM
Browezilla

Default Re: Upgrading Once on Ship

They will allow you to move up if there is availability for a fee. The fee, at most, is the difference between what you paid and the current price of the upgraded room, but sometimes it is lower. In a nutshell, you won't be able to know what the price is until you get there, but it certainly won't be anymore than the price of the upgraded room.
Old March 18th, 2003, 03:46 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Andrew,
You may want to give your travel agent a call and see what is available and at what price now??? Sometimes you can get an upgrade at a good price, good luck.

Message Boards Moderator
Old March 26th, 2003, 07:54 PM
First Mate

We needed two rooms together and my travel agent says because of this we had to guarantee those rooms and now I can't get an upgrade. Has anyone heard of this rule.
Old March 27th, 2003, 08:46 AM
Admiral

i would be happy with the upgrade, obstructed views aren't that bad, it usually means that the lifeboats are hanging above your window. You can still see out, unless you have a fully obstructed view. I am guessing that since you need adjoing cabins that is reason you can't get another upgrade.
Old March 27th, 2003, 08:52 AM
Admiral

There is a statistical chance that you might ask for and get a free upgrade on the ship, but it is close to zero. The ship is the worst place to seek an upgrade. If a higher cabin category is available, they will want you to pay the difference between what you have paid for you accommodation and the selling price (rarely a discounted price).

Your best bet, as someone else suggested in this thread, is to call your t/a and have them check to see if there is any availability and at what price. I know the Golden has been sailing full over the last few weeks, but it is worth a check.

As I have often said in these parts, the only sure way to get an upgrade is to pay for it in the first place. If specific location (ie near an elevator) is not a concern, one should book a guarantee (if available) in a category in which you'll be happy should no upgrade occur and then, if one does, so much the better.

An upgrade is not a "right" if cabins in a higher category remain unsold on a sailing; no more than on an airplane, where if some first class seats remain unsold, they do not go into coach and ask for people to move up to fill them... or, for that matter, can a passenger in coach just ask for an upgrade to first because there is a seat open.

Post Edited (03-27-03 07:54)
Old March 28th, 2003, 04:08 PM
Frank

Default Re: Re: Upgrading Once on Ship

>An upgrade is not a "right" if cabins in a higher category remain unsold on a sailing; no more than on an airplane, where if some first class seats remain unsold, they do not go into coach and ask for people to move up to fill them... or, for that matter, can a passenger in coach just ask for an upgrade to first because there is a seat open<

You are correct. Normally, these upgrades occur because there is an opportunity to sell a less expensive seat or cabin. They will then check and see which repeat customers to upgrade to make this sale. That is a better way than giving a new customer a better cabin for less money. Rewarding loyalty encourages loyalty.
Frank-in-CA
Old March 28th, 2003, 04:54 PM
Cruise Maniac

I called Princess and basicaly they are sold out for the week that I am travelling.
There are only a few cabins here and there and not to many close to each other.
So I'm sticking with my two cabins on Baja deck.
Old April 26th, 2003, 01:14 AM
DOUcruise

Default Re: Re: Upgrading Once on Ship

That is NOT true if you book a guarantee stateroom that still does "NOT GUARANTEE" you will have two rooms together. All your cruise agent needs to do is get you a cabin assignment next to each other and then call princess and ask them to make a note on the record NO UPGRADE.