CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Princess Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/princess-cruise-lines/)
-   -   Alaska Ports (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/princess-cruise-lines/223808-alaska-ports.html)

rtucci2 March 18th, 2003 09:01 PM

Alaska Ports

I'm on the Coral in June. Do they use Tenders in any ports??
Ketchikan, Alaska
Juneau, Alaska
Skagway, Alaska

Thanks,
Ron

Frank March 19th, 2003 04:50 PM

Re: Alaska Ports

Ron:
No, they will not tenderize you at those ports. (G) However, if your itinerary included Sitka, they do it there since it is a small fishing port. Both Juneau and Ketchikan are very close in but Skagway one may want to take the little shuttles. It's not a bad walk though.
Frank-in-CA

jayfoxfire March 19th, 2003 05:33 PM

Hey Ron....which June sailing?

Donna March 19th, 2003 07:04 PM

When we were in Ketchikan on Celebrity Infinity, we did have to tender for about half the day, until Sea Princess left. I'm not sure if they take turns with the tendering, but when most everyone came back after excursions, we were docked, so it was not a big deal. Thats always a possibility for you, the dock is on the small side and there were 3 ships there that day, nice town to do shopping and walking around, the one I liked the best.

rtucci2 March 19th, 2003 08:03 PM

We are on the June 7th sailing. I am in a wheelchair so i was concerned.... I already have my room (handicapp) and my booking id was on the forms my doctor had to fill out.. I AM READY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks
Ron

Kelley March 20th, 2003 03:37 PM

What is "tender"?

Donna March 20th, 2003 03:45 PM

Re: Re: Alaska Ports

Kelley,
You have to tender when you can't dock. You actually are parked aways from the pier and use smaller boats to transport passengers to shore.

Jaimie April 10th, 2003 12:01 AM

Greetings from Alaska.

We actually justed booked for this cruise (we also did it last year) and none of the ports will be tendered. Princess has choice berthing in each city. I know you'll have a great cruise. Any other questions, please ask.

Jaimie - Eagle River, AK

norm April 10th, 2003 06:20 PM

Donna,

You actually are parked aways from the pier...

Parked???

Nay! Anchored!

Norm.

Donna April 10th, 2003 06:31 PM

Hey Norm,
You got me on that :-) Parked was not the correct word, thanks for the correction.

Mich April 10th, 2003 06:33 PM

Hi all, especially Norm, Jayfoxfire, Frank and Jamie - Ak

W had booked the Golden for the Med in July but due to circumstances we are now heading for Alaska - yippie.

I am so excited, we don't have mountains in Australia and after our voyage to South America last year, I cannot wait to see Alaska. We are in the early stages of planning and was wondering what would be the best cruise tours to see the best scenery, real big stuff, glaciers, mountains, cosy cabins, big romantic hotels etc etc. Also which would be better, Inside Passage or Voyage of Glaciers, - Glaciers I would imagine.

So many questions -
Thanks in advance,
Michelene

Jaimie April 10th, 2003 11:33 PM

Hi Michelene,

We have lots of mountains in most of Alaska. I actually think the Inside Passage/Voyage of the Glaciers is the same thing. We always go Princess as they usually can go into Glacier Bay. We've never been disappointed. The big romantic hotel would actually be the cruise ship you'll be traveling on, the cosy cabin will also be on that ship :0).

Jaimie

Frank April 11th, 2003 04:20 PM

>we don't have mountains in Australia <

Mitch:
What do you call Ayers Rock? (G)
Frank

chuck April 21st, 2003 10:24 AM

Wondering if I can solicit any comments on any of the land tours offered at the ports of Skagway, Juneau or Ketchikan. ZLove the outdoors and would like to see as much of the beauty of Alaska as possible. We will be doing additional days pre-cruise in Denali.

Any pluses or negatives to any?

Chuck

Karen16 April 22nd, 2003 07:23 AM

It is important to look over a shore excursion list and narrow down your interests. There are too many choices. things to consider- BUDGET- are you willing to book independently? flights? wildlife? native culture? etc etc. As for land tours- be very very carefully what you purchase and be fully aware of what is NOT commented on. The brochures are works of art that is usually not realistic. Independent touring interior is superior for being able to visit and stop where you wish. Most tours do not see a lot in the cities and include only the usual "tourist" stops. There can be so much more. Denali Park is something to consider very closely- most people don't have a clue of the different options in. Don't consider the Natural History tour if you are interested in wildlife- (I find it very hard to rationalize this tour after spending so much time getting there). The Tundra wildlife tour will get you much farther into the park, mile 53 for wildlife viewing but costs $70+, there is my favorite- the shuttle system- no meal included, but at $22.50 to Eielson- mile 66 it is indeed a great bargain. :)

Beezercatz April 27th, 2003 11:14 PM

I was on the Ocean Princess in Alaska, this past Sept. We did not tender into any ports, Sitka included. We docked in all of them. What a fun time! Enjoy!!!!

Judy

Ocean Princess, Alaska
9/02

Beezercatz April 27th, 2003 11:18 PM

Dear Chuck,
Remember, when you book excursions that these are small cities or towns. We went "gung ho" and booked two, sometimes three excursions in all of our Alaskan Ports. Completely idiotic! Had we known, we would have chosen 1 in each because they all tended to overlap each other. (again, the cities are small). So....... I'd settle for something that interests you in each town and then do some foot sightseeing on your own.

Judy and Tim

Ocean Princess, Alaska
9/02

Karen16 May 1st, 2003 11:08 AM

How did you get to Sitka- they don't have a cruise ship dock?????????