Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 20th, 2003, 04:00 PM
Allly

Default War Issues

Now that we're in the midst of a war does any one have any fears as to being on the sea during this time. My friends and family have mixed feeling and I thought I would bring this to the message board and see what you guys think.
I know there are many of you who have recently sailed and we haven't post 9/11.
How bout some feedback. I'm tempting to cancel my trip but my family I think would be very angry. Any thoughts. Leaving Ft. Lauderdale in a few weeks.
thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old March 20th, 2003, 04:22 PM
Peabodynvl

Default Re: War Issues

I traveled to Las Vegas in October 2001, right after 9/11. Travel was great then, and I wasn't worried. I'm not worried about my June sailing, even if the war is still going. Terrorists win if we start changing our lifestyles because of fear. Unless there is a specific threat, I wouldn't cancel any vacation plans.

I live in the Washington DC area and I figure I'm probably safer being out of the area than in the area!

Pea
Old March 20th, 2003, 05:05 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: War Issues

Thanks, I live in NY so I'm probably safer on the ship right???
Old March 20th, 2003, 05:32 PM
Beginner

Default Re: Re: Re: War Issues

We flew into new york from britain the day before the twin towers were attacked. We took what weresome of the last pictures of them. Strange to look at them now. On the way back most of the seats were still taken. My view is you should never cancell. If you do these people have got what they wanted.
Old March 20th, 2003, 06:29 PM
Joanne B.

We went to London in October 2002, and sailed to the Western Caribbean on the Grand Princess in mid-February 2003. There was talk of impending war with Iraq both times. We went ahead with our plans because, like the people who responded to your query above, we felt the the terrorists would win if we altered our plans. By the way, we live right outside D.C. (2 miles from the Pentagon), and work in the city (right near the White House). People here are going on with their lives, even though we know that we could be attacked.
Old March 20th, 2003, 07:15 PM
Passenger

We are leaving in three weeks for our long awaited cruise. I refuse to let these people think they can change our lives. We have to go on with our routines, I live in NY and worry every day but I still go about work and all other stuff. Hope everyone had a safe trip and GOD BLESS AMERICA!!!
Old March 20th, 2003, 10:55 PM
Frank

And we are leaving in 5 weeks but will be in Caribbean waters, the Panama Canal, Mexican waters and end up in San Francisco. I might feel differently if I had a European cruise stopping in Turkey, Egypt, etc....
Frank-in-CA
Old March 21st, 2003, 03:46 PM
spongerob

We'll be on the Grand Princess a week from Sunday. We have absolutely no reservations about going. At the rate things are going, it might be all over by then anyway. At least, I hope it will be.
Old March 21st, 2003, 05:40 PM
Cruise Maniac

Thanks for all your input I don't think I'm as worried now that we're doing so well in Iraq thanks to our wonderful military.
I will be keeping my plans.
God Bless you with all of your travel plans
Old March 21st, 2003, 07:12 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via ICQ to Mich

Its not only YOUR military - there are ours as well. The only reason I would cancel is due to my own personal reasons that it seems just wrong to be galavanting around the globe while so many of our woman and men are at this present time defending our freedoms with their lives. We are not travelling anywhere, and will not till this has come to a conclusion. Its not that we are afraid for our lives, no such thing, I have been flying all over the place post 9/11, it just does not sit well.

God bless all.
Old March 21st, 2003, 10:05 PM
Cruise Maniac

I understand your point mich but some of us made our plans long prior to the war.
Lets just hope its all over soon.
Old March 21st, 2003, 11:30 PM
First Mate

Hi Ally,

I'm cruising in 2 weeks, on the Grand. I live in NJ (an hour west of Manhatten). My husband works on Wall Street, as does my brother in-law, close friends, etc...

My husband, and my sister's husband were thankfully among the fortunate ones on 9/11- but our family suffered great personal loss that day nonetheless. We were traumatized for a long time. I allowed myself to succumb to the grief, fear and terror - I allowed myself to become a prisoner to my fears, hardly able to leave my house for months. The loss was overwhelming but it wouldn't be until much later when the realization set in - I was letting *them* win! I became the epitome of everything they set out to accomplish.

It wasn't easy but I crawled out of my hole and made the decision to move on. Last March we went on a cruise that embarked in Miami. I still couldn't fly, so we made a longer vacation out of it and drove. We had the best time!!

I still haven't flown since 9/11 - but - I will be getting on that plane in 2 weeks - at JFK!!

I refuse to ever let the privelege of freedom be compromised again. I know these are scary times. The men and women from our countries and the countries who are side by side fighting with us are doing so, bravely in harms way, for freedom and liberation- so that our way of life will be preserved.

My son's best friend was deployed a few months ago. When he came to say goodbye before he left he told me- "Don't stop living! Go and do things that make you happy- get back on a plane and go on vacation! I'm going to do my job- and I expect you to do yours! And when you do- you better have a drink for me!"

Anyway - I'm blathering on as usual <G>... I am going to go on that cruise in two weeks and I intend to have a great time. Go on your vacation and enjoy it.
Flying will be the worst part for me- but hey - that's what Valium is for <>.

Here's to a great cruise <clink>!
Deja

booking soon - 10th anniversary cruise in August....
Old March 22nd, 2003, 09:01 AM
Peabodynvl

It's great to hear your story, Deja! Please let us know how your trip goes.

While I agree that traveling during wartime and having a good time may seem callous, isn't this exactly what our troops fight for, to preserve our way of life? If the war lasted years, when would we feel we can vacation and not feel guilty? I have no problem with people vacationing and getting on with their lives. The war is still in their hearts and minds, and that is what matters. It doesn't mean we're disrespectful to our troops if we travel.

People in the travel industry depend on people like us for their jobs. If everybody starts cancelling their plans, businesses (hotels, restaurants, tour companies, etc) will go under. It happened to a number of businesses (tourist related) here in the DC area after 9/11 and our area still hasn't recovered fully. Tens of thousands in the tourist industry lost their jobs after 9/11 and are just now getting them back. They don't deserve another crippling blow. IMHO, of course.

Pea
Old March 22nd, 2003, 01:37 PM
First Mate

Thank you Pea!! You hit the provrbial nail on the head. That is what happened here in the metro NYC area as well. Travel is a vital part of our economy- the airlines especially are inbetween a rock and a hard place right now - many not knowing what to anticipate.

I will definately keep you all posted with a lengthy report when I return! (yadda yadda yadda I really can blather on ) In the meantime... I plan on spending lots of time on these boards - like I usually do- to pass the time and read about everyone else's adventures, feelings, thoughts, etc.

I believe that most people feel the same way that we do.... that our men and women are out there fighting so that we *can* do the things we would normally do - which includes vacationing!

Happy cruising - stay safe!
Deja

booking soon - 10th anniversary cruise in August....
Old March 24th, 2003, 08:50 PM
Familiar Face

We just got back on Saturday from one week on the Star Princess...so the war started while we were on board. I did give some thought to being on a British registered ship sailing back into LA!!! While in Mazatlan harbour, there were some very tiny Mexican navy vessels on either side of the ship. I was told that the ship was being tracked from above by some American government forces. All on board though was definitely normal and there was absolutely no apparent sign of paranoia. Likely safer on the ship than many other American cities. Enjoy life...cruise!!!
Old March 26th, 2003, 05:32 PM
Joanne B.

Personally, I feel comfortble flying. I go to work on Metro (subway) every day in Washington, D.C. I'm more vunerable on the Metro than in the air or on a cruise ship because Metro doesn't have ANY formal security measures in place (like metal detectors or luggage scanners). Neither do shopping malls or theatres. I know a soldier who was in Kuwait and is now in Iraq. He urged me to go on the cruise (February 16-23) and asked me to send pictures (which I did). He felt the way a lot of other people do... if you alter your life, the terrorists win and we lose. Ultimately, however, you have to decide what's best (and feels most comfortable) for you and your family.
Old March 26th, 2003, 06:52 PM
First Mate

to all of you.
Thank you for your wonderful support. I live in the suburbs of NY(Long Island) and I feel the same as Joanne above. There is more risk here than for me on a plane or on a boat. My whole family is really looking forward to this vacation I don't want to spoil it because of my own fears.

I'm just so sorry for all those brave souls who are in Iraq now fighting this war.
God Bless them all.
Have a wonderful cruise to all of you.
Anne