Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 30th, 2003, 11:09 PM
First Mate

Default Last Minute Suggestions for The Grand?

We're off to the Grand next Saturday for a pre-cruise night stay in Fort Lauderdale, then Sunday - on to the ship!

Does anyone have any last minute suggestions or advice? We're in a mini-suite on the Emerald Deck. E729
Silly question - do the balcony doors stay opened on their own? Or, do we need to bungee cord rig them to keep them opened?

Outlets - should we bring a power strip for things like hair flattening irons, curling irons, etc?

What about those themed deck parties at night? Are they fun? Do they have one everynight or just a few of the nights?

Thanks all! Any last minutes would be great to read - I'm so excited about this trip I can't wait! These next few days will be so busy with packing and last minute shopping- and just generally getting everything set to go - but I know it will be a long week!

Happy Cruising!
Deja

Post Edited (03-30-03 23:12)

booking soon - 10th anniversary cruise in August....
Sponsored Links
Old March 31st, 2003, 06:40 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Last Minute Suggestions for The Grand?

Deja:

We're going on the Grand a week after you and we can't wait either! We booked a guarantee inside, so have no idea where we'll end up, but I think the ship is full, so not holding out any great hope for an extravagent upgrade.

We were in a mini-suite on the Golden Princess last year and I can say that the balcony doors stay open by themselves. We brought bungi cords, but never had to use them. You will love the mini suite - it seemed so luxurious to us.

We didn't have any theme nights that I was aware of, but again, different ship & one year ago.

I don't really remember about the outlet situation, so can't help you there, sorry.

Have a great cruise.

Nancy
Old March 31st, 2003, 08:09 AM
Passenger

We were on the Golden last March and leave on the Grand 4/20/03. I only recall 1 themed party night - it was a Hawaiin/Tropical Party. I wore a hawaiiny shirt white loose fit drawstring cotton pants and my white canvas sneaks and fit right in. It was a lot of fun. They had a band and some "line" dancing. We too had the mini suite and did not need bungies. I as well do not recall the outlet issue as I only used their wall mounted hair dryer. I am bringing a travel iron this time and the rechargeable talkabouts as we are bringing along the kids 13/15 so we can keep in touch if we choose to go seperate ways on the ship.

Other notes:

Don't overpack! We did on our 1st cruise and now know better. We spent most of the time in our bathing suits so you need shorts or some sort of coverup as the ship requires you to be covered inside public places. I know that I wore things more than once especially if I wore the shorts to the pool, took them off and then wore them back to the cabin. What's that 10 mins?? Who cares was my attitude. If someone was keeping track of what I was wearing they need to get a life and I'm never going to see them again anyway so who cares! Also, try and plan your wardrobe with one color theme. This way you eliminate having to pack 20 pairs of shoes.

My husband wore his dockers more than 1 night to dinner and I wore some of my dress slacks more than once but with different tops.

If your not picky about your shampoo, conditioner, soap and lotion - the ship provides a fresh supply everyday. When you arrive ask your cabin steward for robes. They are free for your use during the trip, but you have to ASK.

We choose to pack our own snorkel gear, underwater cameras, suntan lotion, etc.

Enjoy!
Old March 31st, 2003, 08:54 AM
Admiral

the deck party/tropical night - beach party is a total blast - you have to attend this! also on formal night, don't miss the champagne fountain. There is one power outlet in the bathroom , maybe two in your cabin, you decide if you need to pack a power-strip. I don't bother. sunscreen sunscreen, sunscreen(at least a factor 15) - don't forget the lips, ears, feet and any bare spots on the head, hats for everyone- sun protection. ALoe burn gel - just incase (keep it in the fridge) water sandals for beach & decks- (hot, hot
Old March 31st, 2003, 09:05 AM
Peabodynvl

Congrats! You will enjoy the Grand. My sister and I are going for out third voyage on the Grand in June.

There is one theme night, as someone stated before, Island Night. Most people have a great time on this night.

I think you will love your mini-suite! The extra space is nice, even for just two people. Plus, you have that covered balcony on the Emerald deck and the little "extra" piece of balcony that goes with E728 and E729. The door to the balcony stays open on it's own. We always enjoy eating breakfast out on the balcony at least once in the cruise.

I never bring anything electrical to plug in, since they have a blowdryer in the room. My friend Sheri always brings her curling iron, though and I don't think she brings along an adapter. I will have to ask her. Call your travel agent...many should know these routine questions.

Pea
Old March 31st, 2003, 09:44 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Last Minute Suggestions for The Grand?

I've enjoyed this advice also, my husband, teenage daughter and I are going on the Grand for the first time in June. More questions for you veteran cruisers --

With Personal Choice Dining, is it possible to avoid formal nites in the main dining room? While I love to dress up, I hate to drag formalwear around the country for a nite or two.

I'm on the Dophin deck; looking at the floor plan, what is in the center of the ship? It looks to me like the atrium extends up thru the Dolphin deck, which means my room opens out to a hallway overlooking the Promenade deck. Is that so?
Old March 31st, 2003, 04:34 PM
Peabodynvl

With PC dining, if you eat in the dining rooms, or in the two alternative restaurants, you are stil supposed to dress for the evening. If you wish to relax that evening, try eating at Horizon Court (buffet turned into bistro at night) or even have dinner in your room. You can order anything off the dinner menu to be eaten in the room. If you have amini-suite, it might be nice to have dinner on the balcony.

The atrium does not go up to the Dolphin deck. Mid-ship is in the D400s. On Dolphin, the only inside cabins are at the front and back of the ship, so the deckplan looks like it is open to below, but it isn't. If you have a mini-suite in the D400s, you will be near the mid-ship elevators, which we love!

Pea
Old April 1st, 2003, 08:49 AM
lak

You MUST write and tell us how you love the mini-suite and the dolphin excursion! We'll be waiting! Have a great trip!!!

PS: Shhhhhh - mum's the word on the great balcony or everyone will book our favorite mini-suites and we'll never find them available. :-)
Old April 1st, 2003, 10:55 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Last Minute Suggestions for The Grand?

Thanks Lak!! We can't wait! I will write a detailed review when I get home. We had no idea that the mini-suite we picked had this *little extra*!! I only found out about it by reading it on these boards! I hope to get some great pictures of the dolphin swim and I will post them to the gallery.

I was on another cruise message board the other night and someone was complaining about the motion, the creaking and groaning heard and the noise from the Vista Lounge that's below us. Hrrrm!! First of all - I find the motion soothing - second - no creaking or groaning could drown out my husband's snoring -
third - we are not early to bed people, especially on vacation so I doubt we will ever be bothered by any noise coming from the show lounge.

We'll be with 2 other couples and between the 6 of us I just hope that *our* noise won't bother anyone!! We all tend to laugh really hard and have a lot of fun when we are together!

I'm in the process of the *last minutes* now - getting everything ready to put in the suitcases, organizing my make-up etc... last minute shopping - and of course - making sure the kids don't throw wild parties while we are gone!! lol!

Happy Cruising!! I'm praying for calm seas and sunny days - this has been one LONG icky winter!! ( we had snow today - eeeew!!!)

Deja

booking soon - 10th anniversary cruise in August....
Old April 2nd, 2003, 09:26 AM
Peabodynvl

Deja -

My friend was just in E728 on the Golden and did experience problems with "noise-bleed" from the Vista Lounge. Most of the time, it wasn't really a problem, because they were not in the room at the optimum times when the Vista Lounge was having events. She did say that every evening when she went to dress for dinner (probably around 5pm, since she had early seating), there was nice quartet music playing in the lounge and she actually enjoyed that. One time, during the day she was in the cabin and heard the Bingo calling going on.

The only problem she really had was the last evening the passenger talent show takes place late (starting around 11pm). That night, she found it hard to get to sleep, and since everyone has to be up early the next morning for disembarkation, it seems silly to me to have that event so late anyway.

Pea