Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 31st, 2003, 09:23 AM
Passenger

Default Does Princess do catholic weddings?

Yeah, so my girlfriend - soon to be fiance (or "financee") and soon to be wife, are considering a cruise wedding, only we're both catholic and will not consider something other than a catholic wedding.

So am I right to assume Princess is the only cruiseline that does weddings on their ship(s)?

I'm sure we can alternatively arrange to have a wedding on land, but a catholic wedding on a ship would be faaaantastic.

Anyone ever heard of someone doing this?

We're sailing on the Grand this May 18th so we'll be sure to have a first hand look at the chapel.

Old March 31st, 2003, 10:10 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Does Princess do catholic weddings?

sorry - non-demonational weddings only in the ships chapel. Most priests will only perform a wedding in a church, i am sure you could find a Catholic church on one of the islands.
Old March 31st, 2003, 10:14 AM
Passenger

Thanks Lisa

We were a little skeptical about this ourselves.
I appreciate your reply.

Old March 31st, 2003, 10:19 AM
Peabodynvl

I think the weddings are non-denominational. The Captain performs the service. Since the ceremony is done at sea, in "no man's land", there is no country associated with the ceremony for legality. Therefore, the captain is the only one legally authorized to perform the ceremony. Even if you brought a priest on the cruise with you, I am not sure of the legalities. You could have the Catholic ceremony and then follow up with the Captain to make it legal.

Apparently, you might be able to have the ceremony at embarkation and have someone other than the Captain perform the ceremony while still in port, before the ship sails. Or possibly on the ship when the ship is in one of the ports you can get a local priest.

Pea
Old March 31st, 2003, 01:23 PM
Laura (UK)

Default Re: Re: Does Princess do catholic weddings?

I seem to remember vaguely someone once mentioning that they 'took' a priest with them on their cruise, specifically to perform their wedding ceremony. It's an expensive option, but if Princess have no objections and you could afford it... you could have the best of both worlds.

Laura
Old April 1st, 2003, 11:46 AM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

Check with the wedding planners at Princess - they can answer any question you have.