Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 1st, 2003, 10:13 PM
Mtrout

Default teens and Grand Princess

We are trying to decide between the Grand Princess and a Carnival cruise for a 5/31 or 6/1 sailing. We're taking 3 kids - boys - 12, 14, 16. We HAVE to have activities/ammenities for them. Does anyone have a comment or a preference?
Sponsored Links
Old April 1st, 2003, 10:45 PM
Mother Linda

Default Re: teens and Grand Princess

We have heard from a number of people that the Carnival cruise lines are a lot of young party people (college age) with a spring holidays atmosphere UNLESS you go on the non-smoking ship.

I think most would agree that Princess is much better.

We are going to the eastern carrib leaving 5/24 and have a 12 year old son. He is pretty excited about the trip...... They have a lot to do.

I've had friends that have been on this ship with teens and they say it is just a better atmosphere than carnival.... and the prices are so good with the extra ships staying here in the states because of the war.
Old April 1st, 2003, 11:27 PM
Laura J.

I agree with Mother Linda...our family is booked on the Grand Princess for June 8. We have two sons - 13 &14. My husband and I sailed on this ship two years ago & had a great time. There was a separate area for the kids/teens....even their own pool. I think there will be plenty of activity for them! The Carnival ships can be a lot of fun, but maybe not always appropriate for young teens (especially like ours who will want to roam around on their own!) Another nice thing for the kids are the fresh water pools on the Grand (Carnival has salt water I believe.)

We got a great price on the Grand...can't beat it for the value!
Old April 2nd, 2003, 07:25 AM
Cruise Maniac

Hi
I went on the Triumph in 2000 and have to say my kids loved it but I didn't
It was in the summer and there were too many kids and they were not behaved.
My kids were influenced by them and wanted there curfew changed to 3 in the morning.
there was so much noise one night in 2 cabins down that we had to complain.
The Grand I heard is much clasier and a better all around ship.
We're going in 21/2 weeks and will let you know about my experience with it.

My husband hated the Triumph so much it was tough to convince him to try another cruise line!!!!
Old April 2nd, 2003, 09:38 AM
Admiral

i will agree with the others on this one. Carnival is definatey a "party boat" and i found that the service on Carnival was less than great. Princess on the other hand treats you like royalty, Princess tends to attract a different "class" of people(for lack of a better word). This is just my opinion, i know many who love Carnival, i'm just not one of them. Your kids will love Princess.
Old April 2nd, 2003, 10:39 AM
Peabodynvl

For non-holiday or spring-break sailings, Princess does limit the number of children on the ship under a certain age, but I think the cut-off may be 12, so you should be safe. Plus, you would be going at a time when most families aren't, as their are waiting a few weeks for school to let out, or went earlier during spring break.

On the Golden for the 3/22, my friend said that there were way too many young children running around without supervision. They were knocking on cabin doors and running away; pressing the buttons in the elevators so they stopped on every floor, etc. We've been on two sailings on the Grand and never experienced anything like this, but then we've always cruised in May, not March/April...prime spring break time.

Pea