Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 6th, 2003, 04:11 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to lauram Send a message via MSN to lauram Send a message via Yahoo to lauram
Default Is it true Princess offers an "alcohol card?"

My cousin told me that he heard, if you pay $100 for the week, you can have any amount and any drinks you would like. I find that hard to believe. I know they have soda cards but found this too good to be true. That would be great if it is...

Old April 6th, 2003, 08:32 PM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa
Default Re: Is it true Princess offers an "alcohol card?"

I have never heard of this before.....

Old April 6th, 2003, 09:36 PM
Peabodynvl

Been on the Grand twice and never heard of this. I know RCCL has one.

Pea
Old April 6th, 2003, 10:02 PM
Tom321

Got off the Grand today and it was never mentioned so I don't think it exists.
Old April 7th, 2003, 09:53 AM
Admiral

you and your cousin have gotten some wrong information. Soda stickers yes, alchohol- no.
Old April 7th, 2003, 11:47 AM
Admiral

I have 21 Princess cruises under my belt and have never seen this. It'd be a bargain though!
Old April 7th, 2003, 03:44 PM
Passenger

I guess we know who the alcoholics are.

Heck....for some of us, a $200 all u can drink alcohol card would be a bargain.

Old April 9th, 2003, 03:26 PM
Frank

I have never heard of this before and I hope they never do it as it would change the decorum on board because people would want to get their money's worth and overindulge. If I wanted to travel with people like that, I'd book Carn-Evil. NOT!
Frank-in-CA
Old April 9th, 2003, 11:33 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to lauram Send a message via MSN to lauram Send a message via Yahoo to lauram
Default Frank you need to lighten up!

I was not asking this because I was planning on overindulging and if I was - so what! It is vacation afterall. I think you need to go on Norweigan where all the stuff people are...

Sorry but true...
Old April 10th, 2003, 05:28 PM
Frank

Default Re: Frank you need to lighten up!

>I was not asking this because I was planning on overindulging and if I was - so what! It is vacation afterall. I think you need to go on Norweigan where all the stuff people are...<

I wasn't insinuating that you'd overindulge but I do think you'd find that some people would. The same way people eat too much because they've paid for it already.

BTW, I'd never go on a Norweigan line as they don't have traditional dining. Is that where they "stuff" people?
Old April 11th, 2003, 02:01 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Is it true Princess offers an "alcohol card?&qu

Frank, I'm curious as to why you keep calling Carnival ---> Carn-Evil. Have you been on any of their newer ships? I've heard that the Spirit class, and especially the Pride, are very nice vessels and they put out a pretty decent cruise for folks of all ages. One couple who reported a wonderful time are in their 70s and still ready to have a fun time. I will say one thing about Carnival, their dining room food has always been very tasty. While I haven't been thrilled with the decor on their older ships, it's never kept me from having a good time.

~Lindsay
Old April 11th, 2003, 04:17 PM
Frank

Default Re: Re: Re: Is it true Princess offers an "alcohol card

No, I have not been on their newer ships. Had one bad experience. I guess I'm just a fuddy duddy that doesn't want a ship with lots of college students on break or a lot of little ones running afoot. Carnival seems to attract that and some folks who have a different view of cruising than I have. The low prices attracted a lot of people who acted like fun was having a drink in one hand, a cigarette in the other while being loud and obnoxious. Now before you think I'm a crotchety old goat, I took my children and grandchildren on an Alaskan cruise and they were very well controlled. Princess kept them quite busy so that they weren't roaming the ship and getting into trouble. We made sure that they didn't get in anyone else's way when they weren't involved in Princess activities. They sat at their own table near us in the dining room and we got many compliments on how well behaved they were. At the time their ages ranged from 3 to 12 - five youngsters in total.

That being said, their all non-smoking ship Paradise has sounded attractive. But after our one bad experience and what I've read by many others, I have this mind set about them.

We like long cruises of 2 weeks or more and I don't recall that fitting any of the Carnival schedules unless we did a back to back in the Caribbean. I could be wrong as I don't look at any of their products. I'm just not willing to expend any funds with the negative feeling I have about them. I may not be giving them an opportunity to redeem themselves but I guess that is my loss?
Frank-in-CA
Old April 11th, 2003, 05:32 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Is it true Princess offers an "alcohol card

Lindsay,

Have you been on any of their newer ships? I've heard that the Spirit class, and especially the Pride, are very nice vessels and they put out a pretty decent cruise for folks of all ages.

Some of us have other reasons for not cruising with Carnival. As a former naval officer, I have not been very favorably impressed by what I have seen of any vessel owned by Carnival Corporation -- and I mean across all of the cruise lines that Carnival Corporation owns (including Carnival Cruises, Holland America Lines, Cunard, Costa, Seaborn, and Windstar). If you go back through the news archives here on CruiseMates and look at the proportion of major incidents that occurred on these lines, you'll get a pretty good sense as to why. The majority of these indicidents are the result of inattention to maintenance, safety, security, and, most recently, sanitation of its vessels, crews, and passengers and that does not address major problems in a timely manner. I see no reason to take unnecessary chances by cruising with a company that does not give due attention to such matters.

Norm.